Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67

Thread: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

  1. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Bengals run the ball for no yards too often it seems. They have good runs but the 5 or 6 carries for 1 yard total kills any type of offensive drive they seem to muster.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I thought Palmer played well going 34-50 for 345 with 2 TD's. The pick six hurt but it shouldn't diminish a good day from him. What hurt was Brat's play calling the first few series. You got weapons on this team use them and open up the offense. He's like a guy with a sports car who is afraid to go too fast. Open it up in week two and go with the no huddle for the rest of the season.

    Zimmer needs to go back to the drawing board. I would hate to be a member of that D this week because he is going to be all over those guys for poor play and blown assignments.
    The lack of a pass rush was way more important than blown assignments. It's impossible to defend for 10 seconds at this level.

    The Bengals also need to find a way to get rid of Dhani Jones. He was the worst player on the field by a country mile.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  4. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I thought Palmer played well going 34-50 for 345 with 2 TD's. The pick six hurt but it shouldn't diminish a good day from him. What hurt was Brat's play calling the first few series. You got weapons on this team use them and open up the offense. He's like a guy with a sports car who is afraid to go too fast. Open it up in week two and go with the no huddle for the rest of the season.

    Zimmer needs to go back to the drawing board. I would hate to be a member of that D this week because he is going to be all over those guys for poor play and blown assignments.

    I agree, I actually thought Palmer looked good. He threw a very good ball most of the day. I also think the play calling handcuffed them in the first half. Watching them score in the second half was a little bittersweet. I felt a lot better about the offense, but they sure used a whole lot of the clock on those drives.

    Defense was another story. No pressure on Brady and chuncks of yards given up. I don't think they will be as bad as they looked today, but they need to be a whole lot better. Kick coverage also looks to be a concern.

    All things considered, things could have not gone much worse, and I doubt the Bengals play this poorly all season. They are a much better team than they showed today. I'm not all that worried yet.

  5. #49
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,711

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    The offense looked good when they spread the defense out with 3-4 WRs and then mixed in the running game.

  6. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,061

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The lack of a pass rush was way more important than blown assignments. It's impossible to defend for 10 seconds at this level.

    The Bengals also need to find a way to get rid of Dhani Jones. He was the worst player on the field by a country mile.
    If Chad or TO had played that poorly do you think critics would have pointed out that they needed to spend less time on their reality show?

    Not that I'm of the opinion that it makes a lick of difference for any of them, but I doubt Chad or TO get's the benefit of the doubt.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  7. #51
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    If Chad or TO had played that poorly do you think critics would have pointed out that they needed to spend less time on their reality show?

    Not that I'm of the opinion that it makes a lick of difference for any of them, but I doubt Chad or TO get's the benefit of the doubt.
    Funny you mention that. Marvin was asked about that right away in the press conference. Second question was about a T.O or Chad distraction.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  8. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    398

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    (Full disclaimer, didn't get to see the game today...)

    Read someone on twitter who said Carson basically stopped targeting TO after he gave up on a play or two. Is that accurate? How did TO look today? He still worries me that the malcontent side is going to rear its ugly head sooner or later...

  9. #53
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    At the end of the day, show up ready for a fight and that's a ballgame for 60 minutes. You can't play 29:40 of football and beat New England. The fact that they got it to 31-17 and were a stop away from getting back in the game has to be a positive on some small level.

    That offense will light up the scoreboard if they go no huddle more often. Too many weapons for a tiring defense to stop. As soon as they upped the tempo New England couldn't stop them. Other than the INT they were carving up the Pats defense. Gresham and Shipley showed what they can and will be today. Really open things up, Carson has never had 4 legit weapons. And when Leonard gets healthy that's a 5th weapon to use on third down plays.

    The NFL is about week 2. Beat the Ravens and the Bengals are just fine. If they can overcome the Stokley loss last year, this loss shouldn't have any lasting effect.
    Last edited by guttle11; 09-13-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  10. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    TO and Chad looked fine. Carson looked fine other than a couple of forced passes.

  11. #55
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    TO and Chad looked fine. Carson looked fine other than a couple of forced passes.
    Carson was horrible. It's incredibly easy to compete passes when a team goes into a soft cover 2 and just wants you to waste time.

    When the game mattered Carson was horrible in every way.

    I hope people don't forget that even obtaining 5 yards in the first half seemingly took an act of god.

    The Bengals were dominated up front on both sides of the ball.
    Last edited by Cedric; 09-13-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  12. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Carson was horrible. It's incredibly easy to compete passes when a team goes into a soft cover 2 and just wants you to waste time.

    When the game mattered Carson was horrible in every way.
    Its Palmers fault that the D couldnt stop anyone apparently. Very crappy of him to not play better "when it mattered" for all of 1 drive in the game apparently.

  13. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Palmer should throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs next time. Maybe the Bengals might have a chance of winning instead of him choking the chances they had away. Can't believe how awful Palmer was today.

  14. #58
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Palmer should throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs next time. Maybe the Bengals might have a chance of winning instead of him choking the chances they had away. Can't believe how awful Palmer was today.
    What don't you understand about football son? The Patriots were up 24-0 at one point. That means the Bengals had the ball a few times correct?

    Once a team gains a huge advantage on another team they adjust and try and avoid a mistake/allowing a big play. Carson and TO both mentioned how bad the offense was in the 1st half and how the Patriots went into a soft cover 2 and helped the offense find a groove.

    You didn't mention Carson throwing a pick 6 with the game still on the line did you?

    When the game mattered the Qb was horrible. Just like the whole team. I'm not bashing Carson alone here.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  15. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    I thought Palmer played poorly today, despite his statistics looking okay. 1 INT but I think one was taken away via penalty... and another (maybe 2?) where the defender just didn't catch the ball.

    Also it seemed like he was FORCING the ball to TO in the beginning. Seemed as if was either a successful pass to TO, TO dropped it, he was too covered to get to it, or Palmer got sacked while looking for TO. Then in the 2nd half, it was to Ochocinco every play lol. Mix it up some, Carson.

  16. #60
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: 2010, Week 1- Bengals @ Patriots, "Opening Day of NFL 2010"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    What don't you understand about football son? The Patriots were up 24-0 at one point. That means the Bengals had the ball a few times correct?

    Once a team gains a huge advantage on another team they adjust and try and avoid a mistake/allowing a big play. Carson and TO both mentioned how bad the offense was in the 1st half and how the Patriots went into a soft cover 2 and helped the offense find a groove.

    You didn't mention Carson throwing a pick 6 with the game still on the line did you?

    When the game mattered the Qb was horrible. Just like the whole team. I'm not bashing Carson alone here.
    Exactly.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25