Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only Reds fan ...

Am I the only Reds fan ...

... who will be content if the Reds just make the playoffs this year, even if they don't advance once they get there?

It seems like all the talk is about what the Reds don't have or aren't doing, or weaknesses that will potentially hurt us in the playoffs. But for me, I'm just thrilled that we are where we are, with a division title almost locked up. With so many young players, and/or veteran players with little or no playoff chase or postseason experience, how could anyone expect more than what we've already gotten from this team or not be happy with what they've already accomplished?

I wasn't around here for preseason predictions, and if I had been I wouldn't have predicted a division title. But that's what we're on the verge of attaining. I know it's natural to discuss the negatives as well as the positives, but what ever happened to enjoying the ride? Especially when this is likely only the beginning of the ride. I see this as the start of a successful stretch for the Reds organization, with even better seasons on the horizon. I'm hoping, of course, for a World Series title this year, but I'll also be extremely happy with this season if we fall short of that.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Am I the only Reds fan ...

Expectations change with success. I would be dissappointed if they made the playoffs and didn't win the world series, but in a couple of weeks you would have to call the season a success.

takealeake

I can't say I'll be happy to lose, making the playoffs is a huge step, but I really don't want us to get our ass kicked once we get there. I wouldn't be too content about being swept 3-0 in the first round, especially with our record against teams with winning records lately. Overall it still would be more than anyone EVER expected, but now that we're here, I see no reason with good managing and players play to their potential, why we can't win the NL pennant.

For example, I'm not going to be happy if we lose because of our manager's bullheaded reliance on Francisco Cordero. We're seeing right now that he can't close games. A closer is supposed to be someone you goto to LOCK THE GAME DOWN. Not someone you cross your fingers and hope gets through the inning.

So yeah, if we lose we lose. I'm not going to be happy though if we lose on something everyone right now sees is an obvious bad decision and we trot Cordero out there and he costs us a playoff game. It's simply inexcusable to continue playing players who flat out haven't gotten it done ALL year and hope they can hold up.

I've said all season long guarentee me the playoffs no matter how we do in them and I will take it. Just being in the playoffs win or lose is such a huge huge improvement over how we have done in the last decade.

A 6 or 7 game lead with 20 games to go is in no way a guarantee the way we are playing.

The Buckeye Bomber

If we take the NLDS to five games and lose, I would be heartbroken but I could take that.

Getting there and getting pasted? No. It isn't like we snuck into this shot at the Division crown. We've been the best team for the absolute bulk of the year. We need to win a few games at minimum.

I'm a Columbus Blue Jackets fan. Two years ago the CBJ finally made the playoffs for the first time in their decade of existence. Everyone thought it was the start of something great. Detroit swept us in four games... always next year, right?

Wrong. Columbus finished near the bottom of the Conference the following year.

I expect a team that believes it can take it all the way.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

If you would have told me that we would be 6-7 games up on the Cards in September at the beginning of the year I would have said your crazy. I am very happy with that this team is doing! I hope they can go all the way but will be happy with the fact we made it to the playoffs Personally I think this team will be even better in the years to come. Thats just my opinion though.

When I first saw this team last year the night before Scottie started here, not only did several players have bad attitudes, they were so pitiful, I can't really find the words. Chris and Tom had trouble calling the games, when you see players dogging plays non stop, you run out of words. They would say things like " you would think a guy would at least pretend to make an effort"
    When Scottie started it gave the guys a spark! Like "oh thats how you win!"
    Everything started to change, like a chain reaction! Everyone knows that Scott and Nikki are dear friends of my family, so for personal reasons, my dream is that Scottie would have one more World Series!!!!
    However, sometimes I think I need to see this team more realistically. Yes I believe they have the talent, but it would require everyone to play their very best!!!! I feel we are one or two good starting pitchers away! When you look at World Series champions, they have great starting pitching.
    I will continue to believe we can win, with my eyes wide open!!! I find that people who come on here and say horrific things about this team, must have their own personal issues! We all do our complaining, but I love this team.

GO REDS!!!!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd love to win the World Series, but I'm realistic to know that we don't have the starting pitching to match up with the aces on other contending teams. But just get there and you never know what could happen. Eric Davis taking Dave Stewart deep comes to mind.

I just want to keep this team built for competing and going to the postseason for many a year. The more you get there, the better the chance you have of winning one.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I will take all I can get

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    ... who will be content if the Reds just make the playoffs this year, even if they don't advance once they get there?

It seems like all the talk is about what the Reds don't have or aren't doing, or weaknesses that will potentially hurt us in the playoffs. But for me, I'm just thrilled that we are where we are, with a division title almost locked up. With so many young players, and/or veteran players with little or no playoff chase or postseason experience, how could anyone expect more than what we've already gotten from this team or not be happy with what they've already accomplished?

I wasn't around here for preseason predictions, and if I had been I wouldn't have predicted a division title. But that's what we're on the verge of attaining. I know it's natural to discuss the negatives as well as the positives, but what ever happened to enjoying the ride? Especially when this is likely only the beginning of the ride. I see this as the start of a successful stretch for the Reds organization, with even better seasons on the horizon. I'm hoping, of course, for a World Series title this year, but I'll also be extremely happy with this season if we fall short of that.
    Honestly, for the past 10 years, 82 wins was a miracle for this club in my book. Making the post-season is a huge step for the Reds. I hope they surprise this post-season, but considering how they have played against winning teams this year, I'm not sure what to expect.

I think they should advance against either San Diego or Atlanta, but not disappointed if they don't against Philly, San Fran, or Colorado.

id atleast like to see them lose game 7 of the NLCS

Casual Reds fans I know, maybe those who don't follow the team as closely anymore, will always mention "the big red machine" or the 1990 team.

I'd like a championship team of my own that I can identify with. I appreciate the history, but I wasn't alive in the 70, and too young to remember 1990.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I thought the Bengals just making the playoffs last year would be enough for me but that loss to the Jets sat in my craw for a long, long time.

It should be enough for the fans of a team that has been losing for as long as the Reds have, but I am afraid a simple playoff appearance will not be for this fanbase. We lose in the first round of the playoffs and people around here will be tossing babies from balconies.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

The Reds are not where they need to be to compete with the teams at the top of the league, given the way they are playing I will gladly take the playoffs and be content to watch them go out in short order. It will give them something to build on.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Turn Off Ads?