Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Town

Baseball Town

There's been a lot of talk about poor attendance at games--my feeling is that we're in the middle of a BAD recession, with a lot of financial uncertainty on the horizon. I'm not surprised the Reds aren't drawing well. There's also been talk of Cincinnati having been a great baseball town, and, "what happened?" Well, I don't know if many posters can remember, but when the Reds were such a great baseball town, they didn't televise most home games in order to push people to the stadium. That's often forgotten in all this... Thoughts?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Baseball Town

A lot of things to consider. TV is obviously a part of it.

The economy.
    Population shifts. Where do people live now, compared to 30 yrs ago?
    Entertainment alternatives. No cable in the '70s.
    and so on.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Fay said that last night was the lowest attendance of the year, with 12K something. How did that happen?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I think it was someone on this board that explained that the vast majority of tickets are sold before the season begins, including season tickets and all the different packages. Who thought a game against the Diamondbacks on a Monday night in September would be a good draw?

Due to the Reds being awful for 10 years, season ticket packages have dramatically decreased causing overall attendance to be low, especially during weeknight games in the spring and fall. You can't expect to have 25,000 walk up on a Monday night in September, even if they are doing well. Next year, I'm sure you'll see a big increase in season tickets and different packages sold so overall attendance will obviously increase.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Fay said that last night was the lowest attendance of the year, with 12K something. How did that happen?

Nine straight losing seasons?

Again the Reds are the only MLB franchise whose attendance apex was achieved in the 70's. IIRC there are only a few from the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post

WWE was in Cincinnati last night. Monday Night Football was last night. School is back in session. They were playing the Dbacks. They are having another losing....nevermind. I got a thousand excuses.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

It's not just this year or this decade or this generation.

16,025 for this game in September of 1975.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...160CIN1975.htm

13,508 for the following game

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...170CIN1975.htm

22,000 for this game the following year but that was the season the Reds had a record attendance which still stands.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...060CIN1976.htm

19,000 for the following game

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...070CIN1976.htm

Let's go back to the 1970 season. The Reds were on their way to a 100 win season and a division title. Riverfront Stadium was new and hosted that famous All Star game. They barely drew 30,000 for a 3 game series against HOU.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...210CIN1970.htm
    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...220CIN1970.htm
    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...230CIN1970.htm

Back in 1961, the Reds surprised everyone by winning the NL pennant. At this point they were 4 1/2 games up on L.A. Yet they only drew 12,000 in a night game against the Cubs.

Only a little over 14,000 for each game during this 2 game series against PIT a week or 2later. (interestingly enough, I noticed in some of these games they had a LF umpire with the other 4. I wonder why that was?)

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...190CIN1961.htm
    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...200CIN1961.htm

It's just in the genes of Reds fans that if they are playing lousy teams during the week while school's in session in September, they aren't going to go to games. Doesn't matter if they are on TV or not or they are in 1st place or not or if they are playing in Crosley, Riverfront or GABP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

1976 (BRM peak)
    1977 (end of BRM run)
    1978 (end of BRM run)
    2000 (Griffey)

The only times the Reds have gone over 2.5M in attendance (30,000+) and now drawing 12,000 on a weeknight as they chase the division crown.

To me, that seems kind of weak for a "baseball town".

IIRC, didn't the night games start at 8:05pm back in the 70s-80s?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I think it speaks to how important the surrounding areas are. The fan base is very regional and can't make it in from 100 miles out.

Also, entertainment dollars are being stretched by the Bengals, who are having their own ticket sales issues, UC, XU, UK, U of L, HS football, etc.

Cincinnati really is a small big city.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    IIRC, didn't the night games start at 8:05pm back in the 70s-80s?
    They did, Kitty.

I live 2 hrs away. With the current economy there is no way I'm spending the money for a Dbacks game. I am saving my money for playoff games. I'd imagine there are many people doing the same.

It would be great if attendance was higher, but as noted above, this is really nothing new in Cincinnati. I remember going to games in September of 1990 where you had your own section in the red seats.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I understand Cincy is a small city compared to most professional towns, but it does draw from a pretty large area.

You have Columbus to the Northeast, which has always been a Reds town (also a Browns town, but that's because it's the older franchise like the Reds). You have Indiana, which is Reds country to the West. Kentucky, I would assume is all Reds country. I would think much of West Virginia, and parts of NC, SC, VA, TN are Reds country as well. And before the the Florida teams, only Atlanta (1966) could compete with the Reds in the Southeast. Also, for many years 700 WLW has been able to reach all of these areas. Heck, I remember just a few years ago picking up a Reds game in Florida.

I understand the economy is bad, but they have always struggled to draw big crowds.

I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm wondering if the strikes of 1981 and 1994 left a bad taste in many mouths. I know both strikes ended up screwing the Reds over badly.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm wondering if the strikes of 1981 and 1994 left a bad taste in many mouths. I know both strikes ended up screwing the Reds over badly.
    Events from 29 years ago and even 16???

We were sleeping with the Germans and Japanese in 1/2 a decade after WW2, if folks are still "upset" about that time then the town/area is likely more a college BB and a football town now.

Turn Off Ads?