Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name this Reds player

Name this Reds player

5 of 6 monthly OPS totals in no particular order to spice it up a little.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Name this Reds player

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    5 of 6 monthly OPS totals in no particular order to spice it up a little.
    I just checked this particular player's splits out so I will pass.

gotta be the one month wonder johnny gomes

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by likemenow View Post
    gotta be the one month wonder johnny gomes

Gomes had much better months than that, highest OPS for any month of .704?

Most likely OCab

Pretty amazing how they have batted him 4th, 5th, and 6th the majority of the year while Stubbs, Bruce, Janish, Heisey and Hanigan have all been basically pushed to 6th or lower. Not saying they all should bat higher or what ever, but you could make a case that Gomes is the weakest bat of all 5 of them and basically has only hit behind Bruce a handful of times this year.

Shows how Dusty Baker really struggles with day to day managing.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Gomes had much better months than that, highest OPS for any month of .704?

Most likely OCab
    Its Gomes. I left out his 1 good month of May in which he OPSed 1.056

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Its Gomes. I left out his 1 good month of May in which he OPSed 1.056
    Yep, I see that now.

i like dusty but his playing of gomes countinues to make me sick. he is a number 7 hitter on any other playoff team and thats exactly what he should be on this team. no lineup card should have gomes in front of bruce

It shows that if you have a huge hot streak Dusty will only see that stretch instead of your struggles. If you are consistent, like Bruce with an OPS of .825 every month other than July, you will fall out of favor with Dusty.

Dusty trust his eyes way too much.

Dusty falls in love with streaky players like Phillips, Cabrera and Gomes. He likes to say things like "guys are due". Similar reason Laynce Nix was on the team coming out of spring. Dusty remembers Nix having a hot streak and not noticing that he really didnt have all that good of a year last year.

When filling out the lineup card, it seems Dusty ignores the negative (players slumping at the plate and/or career averages), and hangs on to the positive forever (previous hot streaks/hot months, etc). I was shocked when I saw Gomes batting ahead of Bruce in the lineup last night, but I assumed Dusty just wanted to go left, right, left in the 3-4-5 spots. Or maybe Dusty thinks Gomes is due to repeat his May performance at some point? No other reason to put Gomes ahead of a red-hot Bruce. Ever.

I knew before I opened the thread it was either Gomes or Cabrera.

Thus, the acquisition of Willie Bloomquist.

But Gomes makes up for it with steller defense... oh wait, nevermind.

I never wanted Gomes in LF from day one this season, but to be honest, I just don't see any better alternative on the roster.

Dickerson was OPS'ing under .600 when he got hurt for the umpteenth time
    Heisey has OPS'ed .613 as as starter
    Nix can't hit lefties, although he's been pretty good in small numbers this year.
    Balentien struggled in the minors all season until the very end.
    I was hoping Edmonds would get some starts in LF, but he got hurt.

Gomes leads the team with a .346/.425/.630/1.055 line w/ RISP in 160 plate appearances.

Gomes is the perfect player to be batting 5th or 6th. If he gets up in the 1st inning that means that men are on base.
    In the first inning his line is .325/.378/.675/1.053 .

If the team makes too many outs in the first inning before he gets up, then he's usually coming up to bat in the 2nd inning with nobody on base.
    His line in the second inning is .197/.240/.268/.508 .

During the heart of the game, Gomes is simply fantastic.
    His line in the third inning is .355/.400/.581/.981 .
    His line in the fourth inning is .278/.406/.519/.924 .
    His line in the fifth inning is .282/.404/.487/.891 .

This is where Gomes starts getting into trouble. I suppose it's because of a number of factors...he lacks plate discipline, he's always swinging for the fence later in the game, he's facing Right-Handed Relievers. Whatever it is, Jonny Gomes needs to be pinch-hit for once the 7th Inning arrives (that would also be best for the team defensively), or as soon as Relievers start taking over the game (often in the 6th inning).

Because the 6th inning is a mixed bag of Relievers and Starters, Gomes has mixed results. He's got a good Average, very good OBP, but has very poor power with only 1 HR in 54 PA's.
    His line in the sixth inning is .296/.371/.389/.760 .

But, like I said, it gets really ugly from here. The team would be better off sending up any number of pitchers to hit instead of sending up Gomes. He simply shouldn't be in the ballgame after the 6th inning for any reason whatsoever. He's the biggest problem on the team at this point. It's amazing the REDS have been able to win so many games late in spite of him.

His line in the seventh inning.226 .268 .415 .683
    His line in the eighth inning.206 .239 .286 .525
    His line in the ninth inning.270 .308 .459 .767 (not so bad here)
    His line in extra innings .143 .250 .143 .393

Suppose he doesn't play and comes to bat late as a pinch-hitter, which is usually from the 7th inning on?
    His line as a pinch-hitter is .286/.333/.357/.690. (A good Average, which is what you want as a pinch-hitter.)

Where he is an absolute STUD, is in an area where the team is considered to be extremely weak. At least according to Sundeck members, the REDS are probably the worst in the history of baseball at this...........Plate Appearances with a runner on third and less than two outs.

Gomes STUDLY line w/ runners on 3rd and < 2 outs is .500/.389/.962/1.350 . That's in 36 plate appearances.

So, as you can see, Gomes is clearly better than anyone on the team in a couple of situations, (RISP; and, Runner on 3rd and < 2 outs), which are the most important situations that I can think of, and definitely in the Top-3 or Top-4 in batting in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Innings when a team is trying to take out the other team's Starter, give their own Starter runs to work with, and build momentum and a lead in order to turn a game over to our bullpen for closing out (of which the REDS are 2nd in the National League in Save percentage at 76%, where they had been all year, as recently as late August when I last looked......correction, the REDS have plummeted to 7th at 69% as they've (not just Cordero) been a disaster lately).

I'm sure that part of the blowing of Games has been Gomes, as he's by far the worst defender on the field late in games and the worst batter at the plate late in games. That double-whammy makes it pretty clear that he has no business seeing the diamond after the 6th inning.

As far as the future of Gomes, I think he could be a valuable 4th Outfielder. I'd rather develop Heisey in Left Field and get Heisey 600 Plate Appearances. Gomes as a bench player might be OK. He's clutch w/ RISP, or at getting guys in from 3rd and less than 2 outs (9 Sac Flies this year....that's about 5 years worth for Adam Dunn). If Stubbs/Heisey/Bruce go down, he's a guy you can start and get production out of as a Starter, and then pinch-hit for him late.

Turn Off Ads?