Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB Playoffs in August?

MLB Playoffs in August?

I was just listening to Cowherd during my lunch drive (I know he isn't the most popular guy around here) and he was commenting on Mike Scioscia's push for 158-game season.

Cowherd brought up that August is pretty devoid of major sport excitement and that if MLB could get the playoffs started in mid-late August they could have ownership of that time frame and parlay that into more playoff excitement heading into September. His point was that currently in October, MLB is going against College Football and the NFL which are both in full swing. If the majority of your playoffs are in September that is before either are really into the thick of things.

I thought it was an interesting thought with respect to MLB economics.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Playoffs in August?

I like the idea of heated playoff races in August and the playoffs starting in early September. Lets face it, MLB needs to adapt and change its schedule to where it isn't competing against football. The NFL already said it will still play the weekly Sunday and Monday night football games during the World Series when before it usually skips that week. Good luck trying to get people to watch the World Series when a NFL game is on unless the Yankees are in it
    Last edited by huber14; 09-14-2010 at 01:57 PM.

I don't see it happening from the owner's point of view. Those 4 less games can mean several millions of dollars to some teams in attendance, concessions, etc. Plus would the players be willing to take almost 2.5% less because they will play 4 fewer games?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

NO!!! I like the "Big 162" as Mr. Rolen calls it. I am fine with starting a week earlier. I am also fine with everyone playing a day/night DH once a month to facilitate more days off or fewer flights. The season needs to start in the spring and the World Series needs to be in October.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Yeah, let's get that regular season started in March. Let's face it, April is pushing it for a lot of these northern cities as it is. You go to Chicago on March 1st, an ice storm is actually a pretty decent possibility.

Gee hate to think of maybe playing 3-4 DH througout a season..

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    Yeah, let's get that regular season started in March. Let's face it, April is pushing it for a lot of these northern cities as it is. You go to Chicago on March 1st, an ice storm is actually a pretty decent possibility.
    A week earlier is starting the season no sooner than March 23, and you can start with the home teams being Cincy, Fla, Atl, Hou, Ari, SD, and LA if you want (also Mil plays inside so they can play anytime).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Yes and No.

Yes in that it could work, but "no" because I like tradition, and October=baseball playoffs.

I love the tradition of meaningless September baseball (most years) and baseball getting their behinds whooped by football in the month of October during the playoffs. I agree with Colin 100% on this. Lets change it up some and make August the big pennant race month and September playoff month with the World Series coming the first week of October.. Like he said, the baseball tradition has not always been 162 games. That came along in the early 60's

I would love to see every team play a double header one Saturday a month. I think it would be really great if the double-header Saturday was only one Saturday a month so that there was 60 games played on a single day once a month. MLB could start it as a new tradition. They need to do something to grab the younger generations, not sure this is the answer but having no competition makes it easy to captivate an audience.

I've been screaming for years that the NHL needs to find a way to condense its play-offs into one month and have it start the Monday after the Super Bowl. Slot it in there between the Super Bowl and March Madness, half the country is frozen and not going outside, so let them sit on the couch and watch Hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    Ithink it would be really great if the double-header Saturday was only one Saturday a month so that there was 60 games played on a single day once a month.
    I agree I think it would be a very cool idea. Would only be 30 games and not 60 but still a very novel idea to do once a year. Ive always liked that baseball was the one sport where you could play twice in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I was just listening to Cowherd during my lunch drive (I know he isn't the most popular guy around here) and he was commenting on Mike Scioscia's push for 158-game season.
    I haven't heard about this. I feel like I'm missing something--isn't that only 4 games less than normal?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I agree I think it would be a very cool idea. Would only be 30 games and not 60 but still a very novel idea to do once a year. Ive always liked that baseball was the one sport where you could play twice in one day.
    You are right - after a day at work my math reasoning skills start to wain.

Quote Originally Posted by liminal View Post
    I haven't heard about this. I feel like I'm missing something--isn't that only 4 games less than normal?
    Mike Scoscia's ideas are to move up the season by a week, increase double headers, and reduce games slightly to allow for the season to end earlier. Cowherd was just commenting on the overall idea.

Turn Off Ads?