Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a personal career note

On a personal career note

As some people here know, the Pimp is a writer in the real world. I've done some broadcasting earlier in my career and writing for most of it, including covering college athletics and recruiting.

After doing some consulting for a while for some authorized Verizon Wireles retail stores (where I used to be in sales and management), I've since been doing freelance writing for the past year. I don't yet have the diverse workload to always pay the bills as easily as I'd like, but trying to build the resume enough to get into screenwriting and authorship at some point in life.

But though it's a minor addition to the portfolio, I'm excited to say I will be writing for the Biz of Baseball. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the site. For those of you not, it's bizofbaseball.com and it's a chain of sports sites run by Maury Brown. Maury currently writes for Forbes' SportsMoney as well as Fangraphs, and has been the former co-chair of SABR as well as a writer for Baseball Prospectus and Hardball Times. He was part of a speculative ownership group that would have brought baseball to the City of Portland.

I'll be writing columns there once or twice a week to begin. As the demand changes, it might be increased beyond that. I'm excited about this because it's a new branch to my work career that I get to tackle. I have some other exciting opportunities potentially coming down the line, but have always wanted to get in the door writing about baseball.

Thought I would share, if you'll pardon the self-serving moment. Back to your regularly scheduled discussions.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: On a personal career note

Congrats, BtP.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As some people here know, the Pimp is a writer in the real world. I've done some broadcasting earlier in my career and writing for most of it, including covering college athletics and recruiting.

After doing some consulting for a while for some authorized Verizon Wireles retail stores (where I used to be in sales and management), I've since been doing freelance writing for the past year. I don't yet have the diverse workload to always pay the bills as easily as I'd like, but trying to build the resume enough to get into screenwriting and authorship at some point in life.

But though it's a minor addition to the portfolio, I'm excited to say I will be writing for the Biz of Baseball. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the site. For those of you not, it's bizofbaseball.com and it's a chain of sports sites run by Maury Brown. Maury currently writes for Forbes' SportsMoney as well as Fangraphs, and has been the former co-chair of SABR as well as a writer for Baseball Prospectus and Hardball Times. He was part of a speculative ownership group that would have brought baseball to the City of Portland.

I'll be writing columns there once or twice a week to begin. As the demand changes, it might be increased beyond that. I'm excited about this because it's a new branch to my work career that I get to tackle. I have some other exciting opportunities potentially coming down the line, but have always wanted to get in the door writing about baseball.

Thought I would share, if you'll pardon the self-serving moment. Back to your regularly scheduled discussions.
    Congrats, Maury is a great guy, who has actually been in my living room. His site is a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Congrats, Maury is a great guy, who has actually been in my living room. His site is a treasure.
    That's awesome. I first spoke with Maury when I took the Sports Management Worldwide baseball course two years ago, as he was hosting our chat sessions. Since then, I've kept in the occasional touch, usually just to ask a question or two. He's definitely a good guy. Always admired his work.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Congrats Brutus.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Should we find your work under Brutus the Pimp or under another Moniker?
    Witty signature.

Congrats on a great gig!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Congrats. It's really hard to be successful in freelance writing. I've only been able to manage a fledgling career in freelance posting.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Should we find your work under Brutus the Pimp or under another Moniker?
    It will be under Kyle S. Lamb. Brutus the Pimp probably won't cut, I imagine (ha ha).

Nice pimpin Brutus. Best of luck.

Congrats!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

btw for those of you that asked, I do have my first article up. It's listed under my name (Kyle Lamb).

Thanks for everyone's congrats!

Congrats BP. Seems I've heard the name Kyle Lamb previously, probably in the recruiting arena. Buckeyes reporting I assume, perhaps Bucknuts or Scout.com?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Congrats BP. Seems I've heard the name Kyle Lamb previously, probably in the recruiting arena. Buckeyes reporting I assume, perhaps Bucknuts or Scout.com?
    Yes, both actually. I covered Ohio State, primarily basketball, for about 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Yes, both actually. I covered Ohio State, primarily basketball, for about 4-5 years.
    Ah ok I thought so, well again congrats on your new endeavor.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?