Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your playoff rotation

Your playoff rotation

So I myself am struggling with this. What's your 3-man rotation (though admittedly usage of four starters becomes necessary or advisable for some teams in some years) if the Reds make the playoffs?

For me,

No. 1 starter Johnny Cueto
    No. 2 starter Travis Wood
    No. 3 starter Homer Bailey (though there are many good reasons for Arroyo)

I'm having a hard time deciphering between those four. Volquez is actually the type of guy that can dominate more than any of them, but he's also the least reliable right now in my opinion.

If the Reds make the playoffs, how would you structure the rotation? Assume a 3-man lineup.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your playoff rotation

If we're goin' 3:

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Wood

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I was imagining Arroyo throwing a gem in game 1 today. I've just accepted that he's going to start because he's a veteran, highly paid, etc. I kind of find comfort in Arroyo starting of these reasons myself. I guess I'd go with:

Arroyo
    Volquez
    Cueto

Arroyo being able to go in game 4 if he succeeds in game 1. Although, I'd really like to give Wood or Bailey a chance.

I want to give Volquez a chance to utilize his K skills in a series where it can give us a psychological advantage. Have Wood ready in a pinch.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Arroyo, Wood & Cueto are the top 3 without question. Bailey probably would be the 4th if needed, as I just don't trust Volquez yet. (Then again, I'm not sold on Homer either, so I'm not really sure who would be my 4th choice.)

I guess the question I have is how many pitchers do we keep on the roster - 12? If 3 starters and 9 in the bullpen, including a couple who may be able to eat innings in case of a bad start so that the whole bullpen does not suffer, that might work. 4 starters & 8 relievers might be fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Arroyo, Wood & Cueto are the top 3 without question. Bailey probably would be the 4th if needed, as I just don't trust Volquez yet. (Then again, I'm not sold on Homer either, so I'm not really sure who would be my 4th choice.)

I guess the question I have is how many pitchers do we keep on the roster - 12? If 3 starters and 9 in the bullpen, including a couple who may be able to eat innings in case of a bad start so that the whole bullpen does not suffer, that might work. 4 starters & 8 relievers might be fine too.
    I think those are the three that will get the call from Dusty. But I think a case could be made for three that don't include Arroyo. I do think it's a no-brainer he'll be out there in Game 1. Experience and all that. But if I'm choosing, it's not as easy for me.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I think it has more to do with performance and consistency than experience. Arroyo seems a bit more dependable to me than the others, though his physical skills may not match them. I can see a point for going with the better arms, but I just don't know what to expect from guys like Bailey and Volzquez - I think Bronson is a bit more reliable

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I think those are the three that will get the call from Dusty. But I think a case could be made for three that don't include Arroyo. I do think it's a no-brainer he'll be out there in Game 1. Experience and all that. But if I'm choosing, it's not as easy for me.

Hopefully Volquez has 4 more great starts and then is a big part of the post season plans. Edinson, Cueto, and Bronson would be my 3 choices if that happens.

If not I would go Homer over Wood unless we play the Phillies.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I think it has more to do with performance and consistency than experience. Arroyo seems a bit more dependable to me than the others, though his physical skills may not match them. I can see a point for going with the better arms, but I just don't know what to expect from guys like Bailey and Volzquez - I think Bronson is a bit more reliable
    Yeah that's a good argument. Surprisingly, Bailey has been pretty consistent this year for the most part. It doesn't seem like it, but looking back at his starts, it's surprisingly solid.

Cueto and pray for rain after the 6th inning (so CoCo doesn't blow it) and pray for at least three days of rain between starts.

Cueto, Bailey, Volquez

Cueto, Arroyo, and Volquez. I think Bailey is fool's gold.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think Arroyo is a lock, as is Cueto...not sure on the 3rd, but I'm hoping Volquez gets things in order in the next few weeks...

If Cueto and Volquez are both in it, I put Arroyo between them. A lefty would be nice, but I'm unsure Wood is there yet.

I basically answered nothing, have I? Lol.

Game 1: Cueto
    Game 2: Arroyo
    Game 3: Wood, Bailey or Volquez (whoever pitches better down the stretch).
    Game 4: Wood, Bailey or Volquez. whoever goes is on a short lease with the 5th pitcher standing by in long relief
    Game 5: Cueto

Arroyo, Cueto, Wood, Bailey

- I don't want Cueto too worked up for Game 1
    - If the Reds are getting shut down by the other team's ace, I think Arroyo is least likely to press
    - I like having Cueto matched up against the Game 2 starter
    - I want to alternate between the hard throwers
    - I go 4 deep because Bailey can't get warmed up quickly enough to relieve and I want Wood in the rotation
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Wood
    Bailey

Lets compete
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?