Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your playoff rotation

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Your playoff rotation

NOW it's time to talk about the rotation.

I'd go with:
    Volquez
    Bailey
    Wood
    Cueto

and have Arroyo ready to replace anyone who breaks down early. I think Arroyo can warm up quicker than the rest AND he gives a different look than any of them. If the opponent has timed any of them well enough to knock them out, Arroyo may confound them...if not, follow him with Chapman.

The scary part is any one of the four can be way off at any time...I guess this is where we learn who can step it up and who should be trade bait.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd rather win the division first. I don't like what I see. The Cardinals aren't going to lose against who they're playing, so let's win the division and talk about it. I'm old enough to remember 1964 and 1999, when it was assumed we were going to the playoffs and guess what happened? If we lose tomorrow night and the Cardinals win...I don't want to think about it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'd rather win the division first. I don't like what I see. The Cardinals aren't going to lose against who they're playing, so let's win the division and talk about it. I'm old enough to remember 1964 and 1999, when it was assumed we were going to the playoffs and guess what happened? If we lose tomorrow night and the Cardinals win...I don't want to think about it.
    So you think it's remotely possible that this team will lose 6 straight against the Astros and Brewers (who we have a combined 17-6 record against) AND the Cards will win 6 straight (4 against Colorado) AND the Reds will lose a one game playoff to the Cards? Wow. I understand that it IS baseball, but the odds of all those happening are astronomical. As a player, yes, it's important that they don't let up and think they've got it in the bag, but as a fan, that's just excessive worrying. The Reds will win one of those games...they won't even need the Cards to lose (which they will). It's safe to discuss the playoff rotation.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I understand your point. A colllapse has happened before so it could happen again. But I think WebScorpion is right. At this point it's just a matter of time. Just one win from the Reds or one loss by the Cards and we'll have one big celebration.

But, even if the Reds clinch tonight, I think Dusty should wait to set the starting rotation for the playoffs. It's just a hunch but I think the Reds will clinch before the NL Wildcard will be decided. And how Volquez will do tonight, and whether Wood will hit a wall, will matter as well.

I truly feel for you if you are implying what I think you are impling....that the Reds could not make the playoffs. I have a better chance of being struck by lightning than that happening. Relax...it is in the bag.

Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Fangraphs just published a post about this.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ncinnati-reds/
    With one more win or a Cardinals loss, the Cincinnati Reds will be the second National League team to clinch a playoff spot. That gives them time to rest their guys and line up their playoff rotation. But unlike the Phillies, the Reds don’t have a dominant top three — they don’t even have a dominant top one. That makes their playoff rotation decisions a bit more interesting.

Still too soon to lock in, but as of right now:

Arroyo
    Volquez
    Wood
    Bailey or Cueto

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Wood
    Chapman. Yes, Chapman.

Bailey.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

1.Arroyo
    2.Cueto
    3.Bailey

Lately, Volquez scares me as much as Coco. If we matchup against the Phillies, then I substitute Wood for Bailey.

Depends on the matchup to me;
    Versus the Padres/Giants/Braves
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Bailey

Versus the Phillies
    Arroyo
    Wood
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Here are the September stats for the five starting candidates. Based on these stats, who would you want pitching for the Reds in the playoffs?
    Code:
    G	GS	IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO	HR	HBP	ERA	BF	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS	BAbip	Pit	Str	GB	LD	SB	CS	AB	2B	3B	GDP
    5	5	27.1	30	15	15	4	21	6	1	4.94	117	0.273	0.299	0.5	0.799	0.282	458	66%	0.52	19%	4	0	110	5	1	1
    5	5	26.1	28	16	15	9	22	3	1	5.13	115	0.272	0.333	0.437	0.77	0.316	472	61%	0.89	17%	1	1	103	6	1	0
    5	5	29	25	12	12	10	31	4	0	3.72	116	0.236	0.302	0.415	0.717	0.296	494	63%	0.7	23%	1	4	106	7	0	2
    5	5	30	29	13	11	5	27	2	1	3.3	122	0.259	0.292	0.357	0.649	0.318	486	64%	0.56	19%	0	0	112	5	0	2
    3	3	21.2	10	4	4	7	23	0	0	1.66	78	0.143	0.221	0.157	0.378	0.213	291	63%	1.4	10%	0	0	70	1	0	4

Based on September, I would take those bottom 3 guys. But obviously there are six months in a season and I would take into account everything. I think, if Volquez pitches another gem or two, he will have earned a spot as he gives the Reds the best chance of winning when he's on.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    So you think it's remotely possible that this team will lose 6 straight against the Astros and Brewers (who we have a combined 17-6 record against) AND the Cards will win 6 straight (4 against Colorado) AND the Reds will lose a one game playoff to the Cards? Wow. I understand that it IS baseball, but the odds of all those happening are astronomical. As a player, yes, it's important that they don't let up and think they've got it in the bag, but as a fan, that's just excessive worrying. The Reds will win one of those games...they won't even need the Cards to lose (which they will). It's safe to discuss the playoff rotation.
    No worries. Just superstitious. I can remember those years I mentioned when the same discussions were held at the diner table (no internet), and it's a real disappointment when the collapse comes.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan
    I understand your point. A colllapse has happened before so it could happen again. But I think WebScorpion is right. At this point it's just a matter of time. Just one win from the Reds or one loss by the Cards and we'll have one big celebration.

But, even if the Reds clinch tonight, I think Dusty should wait to set the starting rotation for the playoffs. It's just a hunch but I think the Reds will clinch before the NL Wildcard will be decided. And how Volquez will do tonight, and whether Wood will hit a wall, will matter as well.
    Totally agree. We don't have a hammer, so it will have to be who is pitching best as the close of the season is near.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I truly feel for you if you are implying what I think you are impling....that the Reds could not make the playoffs. I have a better chance of being struck by lightning than that happening. Relax...it is in the bag.
    See my earlier post. I'm sperstitious. There are certain items of clothing I do not wear when the Reds are playing.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?