Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outfield question

Outfield question

OK, I've got a question for some of you guys that really know the minor league scene - not just Reds prospects, but other team's farmhands as well.

If you had to target 3-5 top young OFers (either close to league-ready or already in the majors for a year or two) who would you try to add to play LF for the next several years for the Reds next to Stubbs and Bruce and what might it take to get them?

Someone to roundout the lineup below:

1B Joey Votto
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS Orlando Cabrera/Paul Janish (Zach Cozart)
    3B Scott Rolen
    LF
    CF Drew Stubbs
    RF Jay Bruce
    CA Ramon Hernandez/Ryan Hanigan (Devin Mesaraco)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Outfield question

FLA-Logan Morrison
    SF-Thomas Neal (.291, 12 HR 69 RBI in 136 Double-A Games this year)
    WAS- Chris Marrero (first baseman but could probably move to the outfield. .294 18 HR in Double-A)
    OAK-Chris Carter (.258, 31 HR for Triple-A)
    KC-Alex Gordon

Those are the only guys I could think of that you wanted off the top of my head. Out of that list I really only see Gordon and maybe Marrero a realistic shot.

I think a deal for a young stud is unlikely, but I like the idea of dealing some of our top guys who may not fit for some other teams excess in the OF.

My first choice is Mike Stanton but he's not realistic. FLA does seem to have 3 corner OF for two spots, so there might be some interest there. Stanton is the RF and I'm guessing Logan Morrison will play LF. They seem to want to bring Uggla back so that would make Chris Coghlan an odd man out. Lefty bat, has played some 2B, might do well in a platoon with Gomes, Heisey or Frazier at some point. I'd prefer more power in LF, but Coghlan would be a clear upgrade from a guy like Dickerson and his abilty to play 2B and hit LH would make him a useful pick-up.

Another realistic name might be Matt Joyce. Another Lefty Bat with power who seems to hit RHP and might be another platoon guy (though he did well against LH in AAA in 2009). He was considered a plus defender at one point though I'm not really sure. The Rays could use Alonso and I think a deal could be made there (with more added on each side). Joyce/Heisey, Stubbs, Bruce would set the OF and the defense would be pretty darn good. If the team could get Reid Brignac as a lefty MI to share time with Cozart while caddying for Rolen and Phillips in the same deal it might set the roster pretty well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If the Reds are going after someone elses minor leaguers for left field I would rather just hand the job to Alonso. Yeah, his defense isn't going to be any better than Gomes, but his bat will be.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If the Reds are going after someone elses minor leaguers for left field I would rather just hand the job to Alonso. Yeah, his defense isn't going to be any better than Gomes, but his bat will be.
    What makes you think that's a given?

Even if his bat is better, he wont get a shot sadly.

-The Insider-

Mth, Cogs is moving to third. He was going to do that this year once LoMo was brought up but he torn his meniscus before that change could take place.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What makes you think that's a given?
    By watching him play. Better approach, better hitter and I just have more faith in him than Gomes.

By watching him play. Better approach, better hitter and I just have more faith in him than Gomes.
    I agree. Alonso is going to be a solid major league hitter who works pitchers.

Has Alonso played OF at any professional level?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I agree. Alonso is going to be a solid major league hitter who works pitchers.
    Alonso definitely has a good presence in the box. But just wondering: has anybody else noticed or been surprised by the little hitch in his swing? There's something he does with his hands, when the pitch is being delivered, that makes me worry about him being a bit slow to the ball, or maybe having to commit too soon to handle the off-speed stuff. Maybe it's nothing--just a timing mechanism that he has perfected--but it gave me pause.

Its so hard to tell anything because hes only PH and has been coming off the bench cold, and often with no one on base.

If he got a couple starts somewhere it would probably change a lot about what we see in him.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Has Alonso played OF at any professional level?
    He played OF sparingly at AA, Carolina.

As well as a few games in the OF with Louisville.

I've got no problem with Yonder in LF if he can do a tolerable job defensively (as good as Gomes or hopefully better). Don't you think if it were truly considered an option by the Reds though he would have spent a lot more time there this season? My guess is, if it's going to happen, you'll see him go to winterball and play LF exclusively.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-15-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Turn Off Ads?