Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was the turning point of the season?

What was the turning point of the season?

Good thread idea from the sundeck. Lets hear everyones opinion on what you think the biggest turning point of the season was. My answer? I'd have to say the run the Reds went on after blowing the lead in Atlanta, seemed to set the tone for awhile.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What was the turning point of the season?

That would be my vote as well.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

San Diego early in the season.Dusty ripped the guys after a couple bas loses and some uninspired play.After that the team got on a hot streak to push their record over .500 for good.

It could be one of several... the bounce back after the Atlanta debacle, coming out after the All Star break on fire after getting swept by Philly... I'm going to go with the comeback win vs. the Giants. We take a 10-1 lead, then fall behind 11-10 on the last day of a 9 game road trip with one of the best closers in all of baseball on the hill. And we fight back and win in extras, ensuring a 6-3 road trip, and avoiding our worst loss of the season. Big win.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

August.
    Witty signature.

The turning point of this season didn't even happen this year; it was the acquisition of Scott Rolen. The man is a natural leader and has really shown the way for the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    San Diego early in the season.Dusty ripped the guys after a couple bas loses and some uninspired play.After that the team got on a hot streak to push their record over .500 for good.
    I'm going with this one as well. One of the advantages to being a "players manager" and someone who's pretty laid back in general is that when you peel the paint on the walls the team tends to respond.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

This year's turning point was actually last summer when they traded for Rolen

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'd say (1)the bounce after blowing the lead in Atlanta; (2) after being swept in St Louis, we embarked on a road trip by immediately crushing Josh Johnson; and (3) the 6-3 west coast trip.

In a season, all are important.

But getting Rolen last year was the kick start.

I think the west coast road trip was huge. Coming off the sweep by St. Louis that road trip could have buried this team instead they came back like they always do swept Arizona but the real impressive part was taking 2 out of 3 in LA where the team has never played well. If you had to point to one AB as a turning point I would say Votto's terrific AB in LA to get to get the game winning hit was a big turning point this year.

Agree with the sentiments re: Rolen. But I have to include the steady hand of the leadership in general -- the other veterans, Baker and staff, and the FO. All the old cliches apply -- they didn't get too high or low, bounced back well from disappointing games, etc. With calm hands on the controls, the team never swerved off course.

I think the west coast road trip was huge. Coming off the sweep by St. Louis that road trip could have buried this team instead they came back like they always do swept Arizona but the real impressive part was taking 2 out of 3 in LA where the team has never played well. If you had to point to one AB as a turning point I would say Votto's terrific AB in LA to get to get the game winning hit was a big turning point this year.
    But I do have to agree here -- if you had to point to one series, one moment, this is a great one.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

My 2nd choice was the San Diego "speech" by Dusty. Whatever he said, it certainly stuck.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

For me it was the home run June 30th against Roy Halladay by Jay Bruce.... they hung around all day that day and got 10 hits off one of the biggest heavyweights in the business. It was to win a series against one of the best teams in the NL. That game showed these baby Reds they belonged.

If it's not that, it was that Sunday game at home all the way back in April against San Diego following Dusty's closed door meeting with the team. They played a disgusting, un-spirited game on Saturday prior and after the closed door unscheduled meeting the team began to play better and make fewer errors in the field
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'd vote for the bounceback after the St Louis sweep in August. We were in 2nd place and it didn't look like we'd ever see 1st again. But they left St Louis and went on a winning streak and they haven't looked back since. Regardless of anything that happened previously, if they hadn't bounced back from that series we wouldn't be where we are now

The Rally Onion game, of course.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?