Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Playoff Schedule and a Hidden Advantage

Playoff Schedule and a Hidden Advantage

For a multitude of selfish reasons, I've been awaiting any kind of official word on the playoff dates. Didn't realize until someone told me today that Lance posted a link on his blog earlier this week.

Check it out here:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp?y=10

I'm sharing this and asking a question:

Is it me or does the team starting on Wednesday, Oct. 6 have an interesting advantage?

Look closely and you'll see that two NL teams play 10/6, 10/8, 10/10, 10/11 and 10/13.

And the other two play: 10/7, 10/8, 10/10, 10/11 and 10/13.

The two teams that start on 10/6 can go with a 3-man roto. The two that start on 10/7 have to go with a 4-man roto... assuming 4 days rest and assuming that games 4-5 are necessary.

How has the schedule been determined in the past? Any idea who goes 10/6 and who goes 10/7? Will that not be announced until 10/4, after the season ends and the playoff spots are locked up?

Side note: would the Reds be at any advantage if they are one of the teams that have to go four-deep in the playoff roto? While they might not have the aces of other playoff teams, it seems like the Reds go deeper than most. Should we hope the Reds are chosen to start 10/7?

All questions to consider and debate as the Reds head west to hopefully secure their spot in the playoffs.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Playoff Schedule and a Hidden Advantage

How has the schedule been determined in the past? Any idea who goes 10/6 and who goes 10/7? Will that not be announced until 10/4, after the season ends and the playoff spots are locked up?
    The schedule in many ways will just be decided by the network TBS covering the games. In terms of who gets the extra day off they will work that out however works best with their schedule of other games. There is no set formula in terms of which teams play when.

You are right it won't be announced until October 4th after the season ends especially with this year the records are so close in the NL who plays who may not even be decided until the very end of the year. It will also be interesting if the Reds don't get home field advantage in the division series and play on 10/10. That day is also a Bengals home game. Depending on game times you could have a traffic mess with the Bengals crowd and Reds playoff crowd in that area at the same time.

edogg07 sent me a msg saying:

"The NL team with the best record gets the pick the first round series they play in."

Thanks for the tip.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd prefer to see us go 4 deep. Our depth is our strength.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'd prefer not to see us play day playoff games.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Fangraphs posted an insider article today on ESPN...

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insid...ory?id=5582972

According to Fangraphs, the Reds should be hoping for the Padres as they think the Reds would have the easiest time with them. They think the Reds would struggle the most against the Braves, oddly enough.

The Reds were not ranked as the worst opponent amongst any contenders, but they were ranked as the best (easiest) contender for the Rox unsurprisingly.

Turn Off Ads?