Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derek Jeter: "I Would Like to Thank the Academy"

Derek Jeter: "I Would Like to Thank the Academy"

Or the selling of a HBP.

I saw an article in the Times and remembered seeing a reference to this on the Random Thoughts thread, but I thought I'd start a separate thread on this question, particularly because we had this discussion as an aside on the game thread wear Joey Votto was grazed by a pitch too.

The NY Times article is here and this has the video.

The point made in the game thread was that Votto should have wanted to stay as a hitter. Others countered that reaching base is the purpose of being at the plate, so get there however you can.

Of course, the larger question in the Jeter incident is such chicanery cheating, particularly when you go all Vaudeville like Jeter did here. I've suggested from time to time, where Reds players who appeared to have been hit, haven't done a good jobbing of selling it on very close ones.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Derek Jeter: "I Would Like to Thank the Academy"

In days gone by it would be very easy to get away with this and no one would think much about it. But now with every game on TV and nearly every play scrutinized, Jeter or anyone else who does this comes off as looking like a cheat or just not very good.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Baseball has a way of policing itself. Next time the Rays play the Yankees I fully expect Jeter to take one in the ribs at one point.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

HBP will be added to the "reviewable play" list sooner or later.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

What's the big deal here? If this happened to one of our guys we would be applauding him. Any of our catchers ever frame a pitch? Start going to 1st on a 3 ball count on a borderline strike? Trap a ball and act like it was caught? I suppose when Brandon Phillips drops a line drive with a runner at 1st, he shouldn't try to get a double play?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What's the big deal here? If this happened to one of our guys we would be applauding him. Any of our catchers ever frame a pitch? Start going to 1st on a 3 ball count on a borderline strike? Trap a ball and act like it was caught? I suppose when Brandon Phillips drops a line drive with a runner at 1st, he shouldn't try to get a double play?
    Reverse the roles:

Yadier Molina, Chris Carpenter, or Albert Pujols.

To me its no different than a player for Duke in college basketball flopping trying to draw a charge. It's an unwritten rule and unfortunately for the Rays, given Jeter's overall presence they might be wise to let it go and not retaliate.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Reverse the roles:

Yadier Molina, Chris Carpenter, or Albert Pujols.

To me its no different than a player for Duke in college basketball flopping trying to draw a charge. It's an unwritten rule and unfortunately for the Rays, given Jeter's overall presence they might be wise to let it go and not retaliate.

Actually, it's not an unwritten rule. The umpire made a bad call. Players in all sports do stuff like this all the time. If this was someone like Jeff Keppinger, no one would care and it wouldn't take up all this cyber and airtime space. Since it's Jeter now it's a cause celebre.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

As BCubb2003 posted, Jeter is a better actor than the actresses he has dated.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

In the FIFA World Cup, the biggest complaint was the "flopping".
    "Americans don't do that"...etc.

Well, here you have it. Personally, I don't like the World Cup flopping or Jeter's acting.

You got the call? Take your base and let it go. You didn't? Grab your bat, the pitcher's waiting.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It's not that it's a big deal, it's that he went to the lengths of carrying the act to involving the trainer. I thought that was a bit much. He already had the call...

If that had been A-Rod who had done that, he is still being roasted.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It's not that it's a big deal, it's that he went to the lengths of carrying the act to involving the trainer. I thought that was a bit much. He already had the call...

If that had been A-Rod who had done that, he is still being roasted.

What did you want him to do, say, "Ouch, that hurts." in a monotone? If you are going to act like your hand was hit, you need to sell it. Frankly, I wouldn't care if A-Rod did it either.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I don't blame Jeter one bit in this sitaution. The umpires blew the call without all the acting from Jeter. You could hear that ball hit the bat all the way out in the parking lot it was so loud. I do understand where some folks are coming from as I too could have done without the look Jeter gave the umpire or the sheepish grin afterwards but gamesmanship is part of the game.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I'm sorry, but Derek Jeter hits at the top of the Yankee order so his job is to get on base, right? He got on base. Jeter doesn't hotdog, does things the right way and people on this board hate him because he is a Yankee, plain and simple. Get over it - like Chip said if a Red had done this we would be applauding them as it put a runner on in a tight game and eventually helped the team pull ahead for the moment.

And Minka Kelly can damn sure act!!!!!! You guys leave her out of this!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I'm fine with the acting Jeter did. Like many have said, if it were a Red, we'd be applauding it. That's why its called a game.

My only quibble (and, granted, its a small-minded and Yankee-hating one) is his continuing the act with the trainer and feigning pain when the trainer squeezed his arm. It was like "ok, it worked, pretend to shake it off and let's move on, this is getting a little silly". But I'm saying this because I don't like the Yankees.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

He had been awarded the base. So take it. What's the need for the trainer shenanigans. Just because?

Turn Off Ads?