Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has this ever happen before

Has this ever happen before

ON Sept 1, 2010 I believe Atlanta, SD and Cincy were all division leaders in the NL. It's now Sept 18 and two of the three have droped from that position and both are on the verge of not making the playoffs while the third team is on the verge of joining them. Can it be possible that come Oct. 4, 2010 we are looking at these teams battling it out for a shot at WS

Philly
    St. Louis
    SF
    Colorado

Right now I would not bet against that...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Buckeye Bomber

Re: Has this ever happen before

We're six games up with less than 20 to play, chicken little.

Yes, we could blow it but we're not "On the verge" of joining San Diego and Atlanta. Come on.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    We're six games up with less than 20 to play, chicken little.

Yes, we could blow it but we're not "On the verge" of joining San Diego and Atlanta. Come on.
    Why not? We are not playing well and have 8 more road games in very tough places to play. Why does everyone think this is wrapped up?

We don't have it locked up yet, but we have the largest lead in the National League, and it's over a team that has been folding for weeks. It's a little ridiculous to act like we have an impending collapse coming. We play one more series against a winning team. We're going to be fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    We don't have it locked up yet, but we have the largest lead in the National League, and it's over a team that has been folding for weeks. It's a little ridiculous to act like we have an impending collapse coming. We play one more series against a winning team. We're going to be fine...
    How did we do vs. the Dbacks at home a losing record team?
    How did we play last night?

The Cards are not folding, if they were how do you explain them taking 2 out of 3 from us, and now dominating the Padres in the first two games? People need to wake up and see the Cards are not going away and we do not have this locked down in any fassion and we can still end up on the outside looking in very easily.

San Diego and Cincinnati have never been to the playoffs the same year.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post

The Cards are not folding, if they were how do you explain them taking 2 out of 3 from us, and now dominating the Padres in the first two games? People need to wake up and see the Cards are not going away and we do not have this locked down in any fassion and we can still end up on the outside looking in very easily.

Before the games today the Reds have 14 games left and the Cardinals 16. If the Reds go 7 - 7 they win 90 games the Cards would have to go 14 - 2 to tie. Now the Reds could do worse but the Cards would have to turn it on immensely to catch the Reds at this point.

But hey, never underestimate the power of negative thinking. If you dream it, it just might happen.

...and before those two games the Cards were swept by the Cubs and announced Garcia would be shut down.

They folded.

The pressure is off and the team is playing loose. They aren't completely out of it, but yeah, they folded.

That game last night was one of the worst games the reds have played in quite a while! It was plain awful. I still think they will win the central handily...but, they need to get some momentum going for after that.

I'm not saying that I don't have concerns about this team going forward in the playoffs. There are some very obvious problems. Rolen and Phillips need to get it together if we are going to do anything in the playoffs. But every team goes through bad stretches. The Reds have gone through quite a few of them this year and have pulled out every time. There is always the possibility that we could fall apart and miss out on the playoffs. However, it's ridiculous to think the sky is falling every time we lose 2 games in the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
    ...and before those two games the Cards were swept by the Cubs and announced Garcia would be shut down.

They folded.

The pressure is off and the team is playing loose. They aren't completely out of it, but yeah, they folded.
    After a sweep of the Padres which is a real possibility and being only down 4-5 games, I wouldn't be surprised to see Garcia brought back and them make a run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I'm not saying that I don't have concerns about this team going forward in the playoffs. There are some very obvious problems. Rolen and Phillips need to get it together if we are going to do anything in the playoffs. But every team goes through bad stretches. The Reds have gone through quite a few of them this year and have pulled out every time. There is always the possibility that we could fall apart and miss out on the playoffs. However, it's ridiculous to think the sky is falling every time we lose 2 games in the standings.
    It's more then just that. Look at how this team has performed over the past 2 weeks, outside of game 2 in St. Louis where Wood pitched, name one other game where this team has looked good? It's more then just dropping 2 games, this team is not clicking at all on the field and especially at the plate.

someone needs to relax a little bit

The Buckeye Bomber

I can't wait until we clinch this division JUST so people around here in TSD will stop panicking every time the Cardinals win a game or the Reds lose a game.

I'm not confident about our chances in the dance but I know we'll be dancing.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

It's more then just that. Look at how this team has performed over the past 2 weeks, outside of game 2 in St. Louis where Wood pitched, name one other game where this team has looked good? It's more then just dropping 2 games, this team is not clicking at all on the field and especially at the plate.
    Teams go through rough patches--this is one for the Reds. But hey, your unbeatable Cardinals stepped up and...lost to the Padres today. And so far, the Reds are looking like they did in August again tonight...

go figure--things average out, I guess.
    Last edited by liminal; 09-18-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: left out "tonight"

Turn Off Ads?