Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day before colonoscopy

Day before colonoscopy

I am having a colonoscopy 1st thing Monday morning. Has any1 else been thru this? Have you seen what all you have to take the day b4? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's put it this way.It starts with 17(yes 17) Senekot laxatives and goes downhill from there. At least I will have the Bengals/Reds to listen to on the radio while I am shooting myself into the stratosphere.ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Day before colonoscopy

Just know that the colon prep that you are enduring right now is FAR worse than the actual procedure.

You will be sleeping like a baby during the procedure...diaper rash and all.

Get yourself a good book. You'll have a lot of time in the library.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

My best advice would be just to soak it all in and enjoy the experience. Getting a colonoscopy can be a lot of fun if you let it.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Get yourself a good book. You'll have a lot of time in the library.
    Very true. Fortunately my colonoscopy came out okay in the end.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Very true. Fortunately my colonoscopy came out okay in the end.

Yeah, at least you've got it behind you.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    I am having a colonoscopy 1st thing Monday morning. Has any1 else been thru this? Have you seen what all you have to take the day b4? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's put it this way.It starts with 17(yes 17) Senekot laxatives and goes downhill from there. At least I will have the Bengals/Reds to listen to on the radio while I am shooting myself into the stratosphere.ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had my first one last December. The actual procedure was fine, but the prep the day before was awful. Rather than laxatives, I was made to drink a gallon of some concoction. Once it "kicked in", there was no stopping it. I was amazed at the "force" in which things can make an exit out of your body.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine.

something to look forward to I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I had my first one last December. The actual procedure was fine, but the prep the day before was awful. Rather than laxatives, I was made to drink a gallon of some concoction. Once it "kicked in", there was no stopping it. I was amazed at the "force" in which things can make an exit out of your body.

Yeah, my wife had to drink a gallon of that junk and said it was horrible. After I had my surgery, they gave me just a glass of it, and I nearly threw it up.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Just know that the colon prep that you are enduring right now is FAR worse than the actual procedure.

You will be sleeping like a baby during the procedure...diaper rash and all.

My buddy woke up during his

I've had 2 colostomies in the last 8 years. The reason I had to have the second was simply because they found/removed polyps on the first one.

The first one was pure hell simply because they gave me a sedative, so I was semi-conscious through the procedure and it felt like they were trying to take me tonsils out from the other end. After the procedure the Dr told me I was all over the table and hard to hold down and I told him "You should have been on my end Doc!"

When I had the second one they had an anesthesiologist present because they had to put me out. Much better. All I remember is waking up afterwards and the nurses trying to get me to sit up and get my act together.

As far as the prep beforehand, that crap they made me drink was done right nasty! The nurse told me that the best thing to do is have an ice cold glass of water handy. Drink the fluid and then GULP the water as fast as you can to try and "lessen" the taste. If you try to mix it with other liquids you like, hoping it will somehow lessen the taste, it ain't gonna work... PERIOD!

And after you drink it, prepare to do a Jeff Daniels (Dumb and Dumber)

YouTube - dumb & dumber-A very funny scene
    Last edited by GAC; 09-19-2010 at 05:56 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

As others have stated, and you're aware of by now, the prep is by far the worst part. The procedure itself isn't that bad, but the inability to eat and the prep is just horrible. Good luck

My next door neighbor is nuts. He ran home after his colonoscopy.

His bother one-upped him by riding a bike home from his colonoscopy.

nm
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 09-19-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I had my first one last December. [B] The actual procedure was fine, but the prep the day before was awful. Rather than laxatives, I was made to drink a gallon of some concoction. [B] Once it "kicked in", there was no stopping it. I was amazed at the "force" in which things can make an exit out of your body.

I had the same experience. After drinking laxatives mixed in a gallon of water the actual procedure was kind of anti climatic.

Turn Off Ads?