Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: LaRue Retires

LaRue Retires

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...023d58d00.html (Thanks to Sundeck thread)

I don't know where to go with this...take it away.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LaRue Retires

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...023d58d00.html (Thanks to Sundeck thread)

I don't know where to go with this...take it away.
    Is this like if a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sounds like a lot of factors here...20 concussions in his life, a lot of concussion discussion happening in sports (specifically the NFL) and a potential retirement after this season anyway due to playing time and performance. It sounds like the concussion that Cueto gave him made his decision a whole lot easier.

Hopefully this isn't spun into how Cueto gave him such a bad concussion that it ended his career. Which probably will take place by some out there.

Good luck Jason.

Any player leaving the dugout to take part in a brawl should be suspended and fined. Brawls aren't fun things, and they aren't sensible things for adults to participate in. They can have serious consequences.

And if you leave the dugout to participate in a brawl of your own volition, are you not in some way responsible for the consequences? As I said at the time, Cueto deserved the suspension he got, even if he was acting in self-defense. This does not, however, leave LaRue blameless.

I don't mean to sound harsh; I was a huge LaRue fan after seeing him completely turn his career around from one season to the next in single A. I just think baseball needs to crack down on brawls. Maybe this will be the impetus.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Any player leaving the dugout to take part in a brawl should be suspended and fined. Brawls aren't fun things, and they aren't sensible things for adults to participate in. They can have serious consequences.

And if you leave the dugout to participate in a brawl of your own volition, are you not in some way responsible for the consequences? As I said at the time, Cueto deserved the suspension he got, even if he was acting in self-defense. This does not, however, leave LaRue blameless.
    Will never happen. Can't allow a brawl to be 9 on 1.

Will never happen. Can't allow a brawl to be 9 on 1.
    Then don't even allow it to be one on one. No tolerance. Harsher penalties for those who are not directly involved. this ain't fun and games.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Then don't even allow it to be one on one. No tolerance. Harsher penalties for those who are not directly involved. this ain't fun and games.
    But once it starts...you can't punish guys from running out to stop a beating.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

But once it starts...you can't punish guys from running out to stop a beating.
    Of course you can. That's the entire rationale behind the "third man in" and "no leaving the bench" rules other sports have -- to keep the scrum limited to two people so the officials have a fighting chance (pun intended) to break it up without it escalating out of control.

Now, you are correct -- in a situation like the Reds-Cards fight, once some of the other Cardinals on the field joined in, then obviously the Reds were going to come out of the dugout to even the odds. But in that situation where it's Phillips and Molina jawing at each other, leading to pushing and shoving -- if the first Cardinal besides Molina who sticks his nose into it automatically draws a lengthy suspension, maybe he doesn't stick his nose into it. Then the Reds don't have to come out of the dugout.
    Not all who wander are lost

Williamson, Graves, Reese, Casey, Boone, DaMeat.....all fizzled out.

Last men standing, LaRue....and now.....Reyes.

Who had that bet?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

"Bye."
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Of course you can. That's the entire rationale behind the "third man in" and "no leaving the bench" rules other sports have -- to keep the scrum limited to two people so the officials have a fighting chance (pun intended) to break it up without it escalating out of control.

Now, you are correct -- in a situation like the Reds-Cards fight, once some of the other Cardinals on the field joined in, then obviously the Reds were going to come out of the dugout to even the odds. But in that situation where it's Phillips and Molina jawing at each other, leading to pushing and shoving -- if the first Cardinal besides Molina who sticks his nose into it automatically draws a lengthy suspension, maybe he doesn't stick his nose into it. Then the Reds don't have to come out of the dugout.
    Baseball is different than other sports in that unequal numbers of guys from each team are on the field at once. I get your logic, but it is a pipe dream. Just telling it how it is.

I just don't buy it.Now I won't say that at 36 there's no way Jason couldn't find a job with someone next year although it is likely the case.I just think that saying he's not retiring on his own terms because he was diagnosed with a mild concussion is a bunch of crap.I don't believe this was his first although I can find nothing to support that.I'm no doctor but if NFL guys can recover from this kind of injury in weeks and sometimes days to play one of the most brutal sport out there then a part time catcher playing less then once a week should be able to get back from this at some point if he really wants to(or is wanted to).

My guess is that we'll see him playing again or at least attempting to.

Sounds like someone is setting up up for a lawsuit of some kind.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Sounds like someone is setting up up for a lawsuit of some kind.
    Bring it on Jason...he was charging ( or acting aggressive) at Cueto. What Cueto did was bush to a certain extent, but it was not lawsuit worthy.

LaRue did a good job as the starting catcher for some horrible Reds teams. I really appreciate what he accomplished here. I wish he had not behaved the way he did in his last season with the Reds. It really left a bad impression of his tenure here. I still remember the walk off homer he hit against the Padres at the end of the 2006 season and how he refused to participate in the team celebration that night. To me, he acted like a baby because he had lost his starting job. His skills had been declining, he probably deserved to lose his job even though it happened while he was hurt. But he didn't take it like the type of leader I had always believed him to be. Instead, he pouted... I lost some, but not all of my respect for him and was glad to see him go before the beginning of the 2007 season.

He didn't hit remotely as well for the Cardinals as he did the Reds, but he retained some value as a backup catcher for a few more years. I guess. In reality, he is kind of symbolic of what is wrong with the Cardinal recipe at the moment... the stars and scrubs philosophy. Overpay for a handful of superstar players and load up on about 20 guys who may or may not be replacement value talent making minimum wage. At this point in his career, Larue probably had no business putting on a major league uniform to begin with. He can thank the arrogance of Tony LaRussa and the stars and scrubs agenda for what he was able to milk at the end there.

Any attempt to villify Jonny Cueto for LaRue's retirement tonight is a joke. He had basically no impact on that team playing behind the premier defensive catcher in the league, and it was actually "time" three years ago. I guess some Cardinal aplogists might continue to propagate the actions of Cueto in this summer's brawl as something more than self defense by propping Jason up as a poster boy. But that is truly a joke.

Again, I appreciate what LaRue accomplished as a solid major league catcher for the Reds during his prime years. Salut.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 09-19-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Turn Off Ads?