Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Week 2- Bengals vs. Ravens

Re: Week 2- Bengals vs. Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Depends on how they figure it. Does that cap number include the hit they took for cutting Antonio Bryant?

They will not play football next year without a salary cap and a floor. That's what this whole disagreement is over. What percentage of revenues will the cap be based on. I think the owners want 50%; the players 60%.

In the end the owners will win this thing. They hold the cards. The players' careers are too short to be able to stomach a long work stoppage
    I must admit, I really haven't been following the CBA agreement all that much and really don't know the issues. I know rookie slotting is a issue and a salary cap too. But is guaranteed contracts an issue? If the players are fighting for guaranteed contracts and owners are holding out, than I can only assume there will be no football next season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    No way Mike Brown would cut bait on a massive contract. It's sad, but the NFL could become just like MLB. And with Mike Brown running the show, I wouldn't feel very confident.
    He can't live forever can he?

I would love if we could somehow see Paul Brown and listen to what he thinks of his jack**s son. I bet he's rolling over in his grave.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I must admit, I really haven't been following the CBA agreement all that much and really don't know the issues. I know rookie slotting is a issue and a salary cap too. But is guaranteed contracts an issue? If the players are fighting for guaranteed contracts and owners are holding out, than I can only assume there will be no football next season.
    I don't claim to be an expert on it either but I don't think guaranteed contracts are a big part of this. Whether a contract is guaranteed or not is not generally part of the CBA but is between player and team.

There may be a work stoppage but it won't last long. And even in the best scenario I can imagine, this thing goes down to the last minute with the threat of a strike. No way this thing gets settled before "midnight"

I think most of the issue centers around how the money is split up and the owners also want to give less money to draft picks.

I don't know anything about the salary cap numbers this year, I guess if the Bengals are 5th from last that's bad, but they filled every hole I thought they had going into the year outside of the offensive line.

I do agree if contracts were guaranteed the Bengals would be 3-13 forever, but the chance of that happening is zero.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I do agree if contracts were guaranteed the Bengals would be 3-13 forever, but the chance of that happening is zero.
    Why is that? NHL, MLB, and NBA all have guaranteed contracts. I would think the NFL Players Association would be pressing hard for this.

Excuse my ignorance but what does "guaranteed contract" mean?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what does "guaranteed contract" mean?

It means you're guaranteed to receive all the money, regardless of performance or injuries. In the NFL you could cut a guy like Carlos Zambrano after this year and not have to pay him the outrageous money he's due next year and beyond

Why is that? NHL, MLB, and NBA all have guaranteed contracts. I would think the NFL Players Association would be pressing hard for this.
    NFL Union is the weakest in sports and history says they will probably buckle in a strike situation. And it would take an extended strike for them to win something like guaranteed contracts.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

It means you're guaranteed to receive all the money, regardless of performance or injuries.
    And in, say, MLB, you're not?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    And in, say, MLB, you're not?

In MLB you are guaranteed everything. In the NFL you are not

Okay, I see now.

Turn Off Ads?