Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Week 2- Bengals vs. Ravens

Re: Week 2- Bengals vs. Ravens

I think Marvin may see what we do when it comes to the offense, but there's no guarantee he could get Bratkowski removed even if he wanted to. If Mike Brown can keep Dave Shula around for 3+ years, he's capable of keeping Brat around for 20.

It's just incredibly frustrating to watch. This team had an ENTIRE offseason to fix the sloppiness. Part of the problem last year was lack of weapons, but that can't be an excuse anymore. They had minicamps, training camp, preseason games, countless practices, yet they look like a group just recently thrown together. And personally, I would prefer if Carson had less say in the offense. It seems every time he audibles out of a play, the play clock strikes zero or a lineman moves early. Maybe Palmer just has too much on his plate and needs some responsibility taken away from him so he can just focus on playing.

The reason I'm so frustrated is because I see the talent level on this team. If this offense can click like the 2005 offense, we COULD beat the Pats and Colts and Saints. And part of the reason they're not clicking is because of their own stupidity.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Brat was the coordinator for pretty good offenses in 2005 and 2006. What's changed? To me it all goes back to the line, I think Carson had all day to throw back then and now they are starting two undrafted free agents.

Not one of Cook, Livings, or Roland would have cracked the starting lineup in 2005 or 2006, so they've downgraded 3/5 of the line since then. I don't think Carson feels safe, and I don't think he feels like he has time to throw, and combine that with the Bengals repeated assertion that they are going to be run focused and I think you have your explanation for why things are the way they are right now.

They really need Andre Smith to start playing 60 minutes at the level he played at when he was at Alabama, that would go a long way towards fixing the offense.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The reason I'm so frustrated is because I see the talent level on this team. If this offense can click like the 2005 offense, we COULD beat the Pats and Colts and Saints. And part of the reason they're not clicking is because of their own stupidity.
    Ditto.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Agree with cincrazy on the pre-snap penalties. Are they #1 in the NFL right now for pre-snap penalties? They've gotta be in the running.
    I remember the last year of the LeBeau era when the Bengals opened at home against San Diego. They gave up a FG on the first possession and came out after the kickoff return and immediately committed a delay of game penalty. On the first offensive snap of the season.

The only thing worse was that Jets game two years ago where Marvin managed to call a timeout at halftime and after the game was over. That will never be topped.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Brat was the coordinator for pretty good offenses in 2005 and 2006. What's changed? To me it all goes back to the line, I think Carson had all day to throw back then and now they are starting two undrafted free agents.

Not one of Cook, Livings, or Roland would have cracked the starting lineup in 2005 or 2006, so they've downgraded 3/5 of the line since then. I don't think Carson feels safe, and I don't think he feels like he has time to throw, and combine that with the Bengals repeated assertion that they are going to be run focused and I think you have your explanation for why things are the way they are right now.

They really need Andre Smith to start playing 60 minutes at the level he played at when he was at Alabama, that would go a long way towards fixing the offense.
    I think a lot of these problems started to surface in 2006, I would isolate 2005 from the rest of the years. 2005 was a good year, yes, but every other year other than that has been frustrating for one reason or another. That 2005 team had a great line, and I think Rich Braham was a big part of that. He was Carson's security blanket in a way, and ever since Braham retired, Carson hasn't been the same.

Also, don't overlook how key Chris Perry was on 3rd downs for that 2005 team. The guy was great coming out of the backfield and catching the ball. Bernard Scott could potentially be that guy for this club, but I don't think Carson has the same level of trust in him yet. Brian Leonard is another guy that could fill that role, but hasn't been on the field all that much.

Brat isn't the SOLE reason for this offense's decline, in no way am I insinuating that. But he's certainly a big factor, and the guy should've been served his walking papers some time ago. The disaorganization and embarrassing penalties rest at his door at the end of the day.

Running it for 3 yards and doing a screen pass.

Can someone explain why Brat seems intent on running Ced to the outside??? NEWSFLASH BRATKOWSKI: BENSON IS BEST RUNNING BETWEEN THE TACKLES.

His strength isn't his speed, it's his power. He is not a sideline to sideline type RB so why are you trying to make him one?

Can someone explain why Brat seems intent on running Ced to the outside??? NEWSFLASH BRATKOWSKI: BENSON IS BEST RUNNING BETWEEN THE TACKLES.
    Amen to that.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I noticed that too, WMR. How about last year when Benson went down and Scott filled in for him. They would run Scott up the middle, plays obviously designed for Benson's strengths, etc.

As for Brat being around when the Bengals had that deadly offensive game... I can't remember, but didn't Palmer call the plays? I could be wrong, but for some reason I remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

His strength isn't his speed, it's his power. He is not a sideline to sideline type RB so why are you trying to make him one?
    I understand the idea that outside the tackles would appear to be more in line with a "power" runner, but Benson's power can be utilized pretty well when he has to run over smaller people and can sometimes be neutralized when he has to run inside.(I don't care how powerful you are, Ray Lewis is more powerful.)

That said, does anyone have the numbers for Benson and Scott on plays between the tackles and outside the tackles?

Edgerrin James wasn't particularly fast but the Colts used that stretch running play for a lot of "ho hum four yards and a cloud of astro turf."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Additionally, with the end of the salary cap after this season, you have to wonder if the Bengals are going to dedicate the resources to compete for a Super Bowl. SoP's history of frugality suggests this is the last chance in a long time for the Bengals to accomplish something.
    Assuming they play football without a salary cap. Lockout anyone?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

They are playing this season without a cap and the Bengals were pretty aggressive in free agency. Football is different enough that I don't think the Bengals would suffer because of money spent, assuming they don't spend like the Pittsburgh Pirates or something. Free agency just isn't that important.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I understand the idea that outside the tackles would appear to be more in line with a "power" runner, but Benson's power can be utilized pretty well when he has to run over smaller people and can sometimes be neutralized when he has to run inside.(I don't care how powerful you are, Ray Lewis is more powerful.)

That said, does anyone have the numbers for Benson and Scott on plays between the tackles and outside the tackles?

Edgerrin James wasn't particularly fast but the Colts used that stretch running play for a lot of "ho hum four yards and a cloud of astro turf."
    Benson breaks a ton of runs to the outside on his own. It would be almost impossible to figure out where each play was designed to be ran.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    They are playing this season without a cap and the Bengals were pretty aggressive in free agency. Football is different enough that I don't think the Bengals would suffer because of money spent, assuming they don't spend like the Pittsburgh Pirates or something. Free agency just isn't that important.
    Bengals are 5th from last in NFL team salary caps this season.

Bengals: $100.8 million.

Cardinals: $97.8 million.

Jaguars: $89.5 million.

Chiefs: $84.5 million.

Buccaneers: $80.8 million.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-salary-cap/

The entire bargaining agreement could make or break the Bengals. If guaranteed contracts become enforced, you can pretty much entrench the Bengals into the cellar once again. No way Mike Brown would cut bait on a massive contract. It's sad, but the NFL could become just like MLB. And with Mike Brown running the show, I wouldn't feel very confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Bengals are 5th from last in NFL team salary caps this season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-salary-cap/

The entire bargaining agreement could make or break the Bengals. If guaranteed contracts become enforced, you can pretty much entrench the Bengals into the cellar once again. No way Mike Brown would cut bait on a massive contract. It's sad, but the NFL could become just like MLB. And with Mike Brown running the show, I wouldn't feel very confident.
    Depends on how they figure it. Does that cap number include the hit they took for cutting Antonio Bryant?

They will not play football next year without a salary cap and a floor. That's what this whole disagreement is over. What percentage of revenues will the cap be based on. I think the owners want 50%; the players 60%.

In the end the owners will win this thing. They hold the cards. The players' careers are too short to be able to stomach a long work stoppage

Turn Off Ads?