Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A game of thrones???

A game of thrones???

OK, so I see HBO is going to turn this into a movie, so I went to see what it was about. Checked the forums here and see that a number of people really liked it, so I figured I'd ask around if it was worth my time. I assume I'll watch the series when it hits HBO, we usually watch all the shows that HBO puts out, or at least give them a try.

My question is, is it worth reading? I don't consider myself a fantasy guy when it comes to books, but I did read a ton of Stephen King as a kid, as well as Dean Koontz before I realized how repetative he was, so its not like its a stretch. I like most of Tom Clancy's stuff, or the Dan Brown books, a lot of the early John grisham books. Don't read as much lately w/ a young kid in the house, plus the Reds doing well keeping me occupied once he goes to bed, but once baseball season ends, there will be time. I recently read and loved Three Day road,loved Pillars of the Earth a few years ago, as well as the min-series on Stars, I'm struggling to get thru Infinet jest (which got a lot of praise, but I just can't get into).

So as you can see, i'm kind of all over the place, and if its a good story, I think I'd enjoy it. But I've never been a big fantasy book guy, or at least what I assume a fantasy book would be like. never read the Lord of the Rings, though the movies were ok. As I said, I'm struggling to get thru Infinet jest, about 600ish pages thru the 1000ish page book and am really on trudging thru in hopes of saying it picks up at some point, but would hate to go thru that again. It has a foward by David Eggers, whose semi-true memoir I found very funny and interesting, but despite his praise I just can't get into that monser.

Anyhoo, is that series easy to get into? If its a quick read, not much lost in giving one book a try and if I like it, moving on to the rest.

Thanks,
    Last edited by medford; 09-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A game of thrones???

A Game of Thrones is part of the best fantasy series I've read, hands down. Nothing else is even close. It's a great story. Not a lot of magic, but it is still fantasy (you'll see why when you read it). It is kind of different in that each chapter is told as a point of view from a character. That makes it a bit different. Read it, you won't regret it. I'm getting ready to read the series for the 4th time, and I've enjoyed it immensely each time I've read it.

It's an amazing series, but just realize what you're getting yourself into when you start reading them... not quite as hefty a commitment as Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time...

Not only is it an epic fantasy story, it's just an epic story.

A word of caution though...GRRM (the author) has dragged out the final couple of books so long now, that many think it will never be finished. Just thought I'd warn you

thanks for the feedback, sounds like I'll have to check it out. Also found out Ed Norton and Brad Pitt are going to produce Undaunted Courage for HBO as well and will be shown next year allegedly. I've been wanting to read that since my wife taught it to her 8th graders last year, so I'll have to check that one out as well. For those not familar, its the story of Lewis & Clark, written by Stephen Ambrose who also wrote Band of Brothers amongst many other books.

Read it and enjoy it but make peace before you start that Martin will never write an ending. We might technically get some lame ending from another writer after he dies, but I don't see him finishing it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Also some things are so good they transcend the genre and this applies to A Game of Thrones. Really, really good.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I'm not quite as enthusiastic as others but I did enjoy the book, although not as much as Robert Jordan's WOT. It is a dense book and certainly not a quick read.

On second thought it has been a few years since I read the series so maybe I'll take a shot at re-reading it. However, the thought that there might never be an ending is frustrating.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Best fantasy series I've ever had the pleasure to read. Though I will echo the sentiments of others, in that I am extremely wary of him every finishing the series. Would be an epic dissapointment.

Turn Off Ads?