Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mascots tackling mascots

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Mascots tacklings mascots

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The sad thing is, that this is the biggest thing that he will probably ever do in his life.
    I want to punch the giant Buckeye every time I see him on TV, so this kid is kinda living my dream.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I want to punch the giant Buckeye every time I see him on TV, so this kid is kinda living my dream.
    Look at it this way, the biggest story used to be that Woody punched a player (on the other team... classy) now this.

makes me giggle... it does.

I would argue that this moron is getting everything he dreamed of out of this episode. It isn't the age of litigation, it is the age of selfishness. I would bet he set out to try and become some sort of youtube sensation, inspired by such shows as "Jackass". He was even on Monday night football. People are giving him exactly what he wants, attention.

The sad thing is, that this is the biggest thing that he will probably ever do in his life.
    Logan, has it occurred to you that a mascot's job is to get attention and entertain fans? That's the sole purpose of their existence. They're at the game to add additional atmosphere.

Two mascots fighting and tackling one another is rather common. It's not even always scripted. Unfortunately I had to listen to two hours of drunken stories from a former Brutus telling me occasional tales of things he had done/had done to/from other mascots. There is a lot of this stuff that goes on and it's not even always planned--which is why this whole thing makes no sense.

Further, so he got his five minutes of fame. Thing is, I really don't think he did it for the attention. Do you really think he expected to be on ESPN? Really? The fact that this has gotten so much attention could have never, ever been expected by anyone.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Logan, has it occurred to you that a mascot's job is to get attention and entertain fans? That's the sole purpose of their existence. They're at the game to add additional atmosphere.

Two mascots fighting and tackling one another is rather common. It's not even always scripted. Unfortunately I had to listen to two hours of drunken stories from a former Brutus telling me occasional tales of things he had done/had done to/from other mascots. There is a lot of this stuff that goes on and it's not even always planned--which is why this whole thing makes no sense.

Further, so he got his five minutes of fame. Thing is, I really don't think he did it for the attention. Do you really think he expected to be on ESPN? Really? The fact that this has gotten so much attention could have never, ever been expected by anyone.
    What is entertaining for the home fans about someone blindsiding the home team's mascot as he's leading the charge onto the field? There's a time and a place for wrestling around with the other mascot, and that isn't it. This wasn't the slightest bit about entertainment, it was some punk kid who wanted to show up the home team.

As far as not wanting attention, of course he wanted attention. He's going to brag to his buddies until the day he dies about how he got on TV for tackling Brutus. It was a "look at me" moment for some jerk and nothing else.

Read his quotes. He has been planning this for a very long time.

Maybe I am starting to show my age, but I don't think it is funny. It wasn't scripted, and totally uncalled for. It wasn't part of playful endszone shenanigans. I was not entertained, and I would venture to bet a large number of people in attendance were not entertained either.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Re: Mascots tackling mascots

Maybe this kid can walk on and play for Michigan in their secondary.

I think it's very doable.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Maybe this kid can walk on and play for Michigan in their secondary.

I think it's very doable.
    Shoot I'm thinking I could, I can't decide if I'm less impressed with that group than I am impressed with Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Shoot I'm thinking I could, I can't decide if I'm less impressed with that group than I am impressed with Robinson.
    It's not what you would expect from a Michigan team. I'm the Buckeye fan that wants Michigan to be good again. I'm not sure how you beat upper level teams with that defense.

It was the best tackle Ohio University had all day.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    What is entertaining for the home fans about someone blindsiding the home team's mascot as he's leading the charge onto the field? There's a time and a place for wrestling around with the other mascot, and that isn't it. This wasn't the slightest bit about entertainment, it was some punk kid who wanted to show up the home team.

As far as not wanting attention, of course he wanted attention. He's going to brag to his buddies until the day he dies about how he got on TV for tackling Brutus. It was a "look at me" moment for some jerk and nothing else.
    How many sporting events have you been to?

My first thought when I saw this was, "really? a mascot tackling a mascot made news? I've seen that a thousand times in my lifetime."

So how on earth could anyone reasonably expect this was going to make news? Seriously, mascots get into 'altercations' all the time. I doubt very seriously he expected to get any news out of this, much less TV time. It's a real stretch to think he expected that much attention. I saw the video and frankly, had we not been told differently by the media, I wouldn't have known this wasn't just part of the normal mascot behavior because this is pretty common.

As far as "there's a time and a place for wrestling around with the other mascot," really? What is the time and a place? I've never seen a book on mascot behavior. I don't know how any of us can say there's a right time and a wrong time. Mascots are there for entertainment, as I said. Guess what? This was pretty darn funny with minimal risk of injury. I grew up in a family of Buckeye fans, and most of my friends are Buckeye fans... most everyone I know thinks this is frickin' hilarious. I honestly don't see why there is some sensitivity over the incident. People need to relax and have a sense of humor about things.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Read his quotes. He has been planning this for a very long time.

Maybe I am starting to show my age, but I don't think it is funny. It wasn't scripted, and totally uncalled for. It wasn't part of playful endszone shenanigans. I was not entertained, and I would venture to bet a large number of people in attendance were not entertained either.
    Yeah I'm well aware he planned it. But how does that make this any worse? He wanted to become a mascot and tackle Brutus. It isn't the first time Brutus has been tackled and won't be the last. That doesn't really make this any worse, in my opinion. He apparently has a Brutus complex, but it's funny more than anything else.

The only ones not entertained by this mostly seem to be (sensitive?) Buckeye fans that seem to grumble when ESPN says something bad about them, when Jim Tressel is accused of anything that makes him look less than perfect or (apparently) when Brutus is tackled. I think this is another case of Buckeye fans sometimes being a bit insecure. And hey, look at my screen name, I'm not a Brutus hater (hint)
    Last edited by Brutus; 09-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.

I'm as big of a Buckeye fan as you're going to find and I thought it was pretty funny. The fact that the only reason he tried out was to tackle Brutus actually makes it funnier if you ask me.

Honestly the only thing that would have warrented the type of reaction its getting is if the guy that is Brutus would have been injured and I don't believe that is the case.

Mascot's fighting = Hilarious

Yeah I'm well aware he planned it. But how does that make this any worse? He wanted to become a mascot and tackle Brutus. It isn't the first time Brutus has been tackled and won't be the last. That doesn't really make this any worse, in my opinion. He apparently has a Brutus complex, but it's funny more than anything else.

The only ones not entertained by this mostly seem to be (sensitive?) Buckeye fans that seem to grumble when ESPN says something bad about them, when Jim Tressel is accused of anything that makes him look less than perfect or (apparently) when Brutus is tackled. I think this is another case of Buckeye fans sometimes being a bit insecure. And hey, look at my screen name, I'm not a Brutus hater (hint)
    You would argue that the sky isn't blue I think.

All in good fun

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    You would argue that the sky isn't blue I think.

All in good fun
    There's a tribe in the Amazon that can never see the sky in it's full glory, they only see it through the splattered green of the jungles canopy. they say the sky is blue/green, when shown a picture of a all blue sky they could not comprehend it because it was too paradigm shifting.

It's all about experience when it comes to reality.. or what one shapes as their reality

How many sporting events have you been to?

My first thought when I saw this was, "really? a mascot tackling a mascot made news? I've seen that a thousand times in my lifetime."

So how on earth could anyone reasonably expect this was going to make news? Seriously, mascots get into 'altercations' all the time. I doubt very seriously he expected to get any news out of this, much less TV time. It's a real stretch to think he expected that much attention. I saw the video and frankly, had we not been told differently by the media, I wouldn't have known this wasn't just part of the normal mascot behavior because this is pretty common.

As far as "there's a time and a place for wrestling around with the other mascot," really? What is the time and a place? I've never seen a book on mascot behavior. I don't know how any of us can say there's a right time and a wrong time. Mascots are there for entertainment, as I said. Guess what? This was pretty darn funny with minimal risk of injury. I grew up in a family of Buckeye fans, and most of my friends are Buckeye fans... most everyone I know thinks this is frickin' hilarious. I honestly don't see why there is some sensitivity over the incident. People need to relax and have a sense of humor about things.
    I'm not going to waste any more time on this. You simply don't get it.

Turn Off Ads?