Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homer Bailey - Post DL

Homer Bailey - Post DL

A look at the numbers for Homer Bailey in his starts since coming back from the DL on August 15. He has made 8 starts but I am reserving the right to 'cherry pick' a little. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt on his last start and accept that something was actually physically wrong with Bailey. That leaves 7 starts including tonight's effort against the Brewers.

How has Bailey peformed?

43.1 IP 40H 17ER 10BB 38K 2HR

Pretty fair numbers across the board. 4 out of 7 starts have been quality. His control has been much better, only 10 BB. And he is keeping the ball in the park, only 2 HR.

Further numbers:

Code:
    ERA	3.53
    WHIP	1.15
    BB/9	2.1
    K/9	7.9
    As far as starting pitching goes the Reds could do a lot worse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey - Post DL

To me the biggest difference "stuff" wise is it seems Homer is more consistently throwing harder. I seemed like in past years Homer was throwing comfortably around 92mph where since coming back this season hes more around 93-94 and topping out a lot higher around 97. Closer to the Homer everyone heard about as he was cruising through the minors.

I think Homer has got to be in the conversation for playoff rotation.

But so is Volquez if he pitches well his next couple starts.

But so is Wood if they face a left handed dominate lineup like the Phils with Utley and Howard or the Braves with Howard and McCann.

There isn't a truly dominate starter on the staff, but Dusty will have the ability to play it like Sparky (Captain Hook). If Volquez or Bailey look wild the first couple innings, put Wood in. Or if you start Wood and he's getting hit when he starts his second trip through the lineup, pull him and put Bailey or Volquez in.

Id go Cueto, Bailey, Wood, but experience is the most important thing.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I think Homer has got to be in the conversation for playoff rotation.

But so is Volquez if he pitches well his next couple starts.

But so is Wood if they face a left handed dominate lineup like the Phils with Utley and Howard or the Braves with Howard and McCann.

There isn't a truly dominate starter on the staff, but Dusty will have the ability to play it like Sparky (Captain Hook). If Volquez or Bailey look wild the first couple innings, put Wood in. Or if you start Wood and he's getting hit when he starts his second trip through the lineup, pull him and put Bailey or Volquez in.
    Yep. Wood's innings are getting up there, too, so hopefully he'll be on a very short leash.

For better or for worse, Arroyo and Cueto are our "aces". Hope they can get on a roll.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Id go Cueto, Bailey, Wood, but experience is the most important thing.
    No Bronson?

I think our lack of experience - across the board, not just pitching - is our biggest weakness as a team. And the only cure for that problem is time.

It seems that we should only have Homer pitch in late August and September. He is lights out the last 2 years.

I would set the playoff rotation:

1. Cueto
    2. Arroyo
    3. Voltron
    4. Wood (Wood gets moved up if we are playing Philly or the Rockies)

I think Volquez and Baily are both making a hard push for the rotation. I think Arroyo and Cueto are 1-2, and the 3rd spot will be Bailey or Volquez.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?