Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Jim Day being snarky after the postgame interview with Joey Votto tonight?

Was Jim Day being snarky after the postgame interview with Joey Votto tonight?

Just now finishing up the game on DVR, and something caught my attention during Jim Day's post game interview with Joey Votto. Jim mentioned that the Reds had lost two of three in Houston, and that "road trip losing can snowball".

Votto replied "I don't agree with you about losing snowballing on the road" and went on to elaborate. His replies to Day's follow-up questions about being players being tired and like, almost seemed dismissive, as well.

Once the interview was complete, Day said "We'll never say ever again 'losing snowballs on the road'. You don't want to make Joey Votto mad."

I wasn't sure how to take that. I know Day has an unorthodox broadcasting style, but it wasn't easy to tell if it was an attempt at humor or a broadcaster who was offended at Votto's rebuttal.

Did you see it? How did you take it?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Was Jim Day being snarky after the postgame interview with Joey Votto tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Just now finishing up the game on DVR, and something caught my attention during Jim Day's post game interview with Joey Votto. Jim mentioned that the Reds had lost two of three in Houston, and that "road trip losing can snowball".

Votto replied "I don't agree with you about losing snowballing on the road" and went on to elaborate. His replies to Day's follow-up questions about being players being tired and like, almost seemed dismissive, as well.

Once the interview was complete, Day said "We'll never say ever again 'losing snowballs on the road'. You don't want to make Joey Votto mad."

I wasn't sure how to take that. I know Day has an unorthodox broadcasting style, but it wasn't easy to tell if it was an attempt at humor or a broadcaster who was offended at Votto's rebuttal.

Did you see it? How did you take it?

The announcers were talking about how the Umpire did something to rile Joey (not sure what) right before his go-ahead homer. As the ball was going out one of them said, "and you don't want to make Joey Votto mad."

I think Day's comment was referrencing that.

Re: Was Jim Day being snarky after the postgame interview with Joey Votto tonight?

All of this is from Jim Day's twitter:

I love real answers! Loved it! RT @morinap: Votto basically just told @jimdaytv "child, please". I like it.

He did body slam me after! RT @jamiewhited: @JimDayTV Joey Votto looked like he was gonna body slam you when you asked that question!

He then piledrived me RT @jamiewhited: @JimDayTV Joey Votto looked like he was gonna body slam you when you asked that question!

I tapped out once he applied figure 4! RT @jamiewhited: @JimDayTV Joey Votto looked like he was gonna body slam you

Mutual respect, standup guy RT @mayoungkin: @JimDayTV Did it poilitely too. I don't think Votto showed you up at all. He must respect you.

He tells everyone! he's the man! Love real answers if u can take it! RT @JackieABC36: That interview was hysterical Joey told you buddy!

2nite was a perfect example of why Votto is a special player. Most guys would have answered the question, "yes losing can snowball on road..

Votto says, "I don't agree, it's our job to win series regardless" every at bat is important to him, every situation, winning is our job!

So even if losing can indeed snowball on the road (it can, seen it a thousand times)...he doesn't believe it nor accepts it..special player!

Wooooh nelly! It wasnt good enough for that, all he did was politely say "I disagree" RT @wvutopper: it needs to be on YOUTUBE @JimDayTV

http://twitter.com/JimDayTV

Pretty much explains Day's thoughts on the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Jim Day doesn't have the guts.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Honest question and honest answer, there's nothing at all wrong with either.

Tempest in a teapot in my humble opinion.

Jim Day is a doofus but also mildly amusing. I thought all of his interactions with Votto were good natured.

Joey is a serious guy. His intensity shows.

The post-game thing that I thought was downright mean was Thom's repeated calling out of Chris Welch's "come from behind" comment. Give it a rest, Thom.

Pay attention to the open sky

Very honest answer by Votto. I like that. He's a no non-sense type of person. He goes after each pitch and AB as personal thing. That has to rub off on the other players after seeing him be so successful. You can't blame Day for asking the question. He's been around a lot losing in Cincinnati and seen some pretty bad road trips that can get out of hand in a hurry.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I took it as Jim Day being an annoying moron. He's an embarrassment to everything he takes part in.

I like Day. He's offbeat, which is so un-Cincinnati. And he's intelligent enough to understand Votto, another guy who doesn't routinely resort to cliches.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think a good example of how poor of a job Jim Day does at his job (being professional and such) would be to ask Reds players what they thought of him. I could see them at first saying "who?" and then saying "oh, that guy...." type of deal. As a friend said to me, Day is the kind of guy who you expect to be doing a comedy routine at a retirement home, not interviewing big time professional athletes.

His dental humor, his awkwardness, he takes it way too far. If you enjoy his antics my hat is off to you; but I don't think it fits with professional athletes and I know that he wasn't offered to come back to the Blue Jackets here in Columbus for some of those reasons.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I like his style of humor--it's just that I think he's really bad at it.

Jim Day is a sideline reporter, he plays with guys, he's not Walter Cronkite, nor does he need the players to feel that he is when they have to talk to him.

Much to do about nothing.

My view is that JD is kind of a goofball, but he was not and would not be "snarky". I agree his style kind be irritating at times and other times rather comically enjoyable. Either way, he's "on our side" so I don't mind it terribly. This instance I think he simply got an honest answer to an honest question, and both handled it just fine. Anything beyond that is reading way way too much into it IMO.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I like his style of humor--it's just that I think he's really bad at it.
    Probably true -- which might be why I like him.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Much to do about nothing.
    I agree. All that happened here is that Votto said he didn't agree with him. End of story

Turn Off Ads?