Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidor Hijinks?

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Humidor Hijinks?

It is an ESPN Insider article but there are some teams that are questioning whether or not the Rockies are inserting "non-humidor'd" baseballs into games but only when the Rockies are batting. The Dodgers questioned it recently and the Giants have said they are going to oversee the process this weekend when they visit. The Rockies admitted that the process is not overseen by the umpires or MLB but of course they scoffed at the idea that they were doing this. What a story it would be if it was ever discovered that they were switching the baseballs.

http://es.pn/8ZOW72

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Humidor Hijinks?

I doubt any hijinks are happening, but when you have such incredibly skewed splits like CarGo's batting or the Rockies overall record, people are going to wonder if something is up.

The entire process leaves a lot of room for the home team to potentially gain an advantage. I dunno if it's true, but wow if it is.

It certainly feels that way.

Reds hit a ton of hard hit balls in Colorado, and they died before the track. Rockies hit a ton of balls that just scraped over.

These numbers might suggest something is rotten in Denver:

Code:
    COLO	OBP	SLG	OPS
    COLO	0.374	0.506	0.880
    AWAY	0.306	0.357	0.663

OPP 			
    COLO	0.324	0.409	0.733
    AWAY	0.328	0.377	0.705
    The Rockies offensive numbers skyrocket at home but the opposing team's numbers don't seem to get much of a boost at all.

Get Oliver Stone on the phone.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    It is an ESPN Insider article but there are some teams that are questioning whether or not the Rockies are inserting "non-humidor'd" baseballs into games but only when the Rockies are batting. The Dodgers questioned it recently and the Giants have said they are going to oversee the process this weekend when they visit. The Rockies admitted that the process is not overseen by the umpires or MLB but of course they scoffed at the idea that they were doing this. What a story it would be if it was ever discovered that they were switching the baseballs.

http://es.pn/8ZOW72
    I asked that question in one of the Reds-Rockies game threads a couple weeks ago.

I'm wondering if not all the balls are kept in the humidor, like if the opposing pitchers are given untreated balls while Rockies pitchers get the treated ones. Something's fishy when the NL's top offense has problems scoring runs.
    Last edited by BurgervilleBuck; 09-21-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

Code:
    COLO	OBP	SLG	OPS
    COLO	0.374	0.506	0.880
    AWAY	0.306	0.357	0.663

OPP 			
    COLO	0.324	0.409	0.733
    AWAY	0.328	0.377	0.705
    The Rockies offensive numbers skyrocket at home but the opposing team's numbers don't seem to get much of a boost at all.

Those numbers certainly make you go hmmmm......lol

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

Code:
    COLO    OBP    SLG    OPS
    COLO    0.374    0.506    0.880
    AWAY    0.306    0.357    0.663

OPP             
    COLO    0.324    0.409    0.733
    AWAY    0.328    0.377    0.705

Wow, that is definitely alarming.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

There's something not right in CoorsLand.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Wow, I thought we were all assuming this already. "Gamesmanship", or whatever.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Those are shocking numbers. Can someone with more free time than me check to see if the gap between home and visitor for slugging and OPS is greater at Coors than any other stadium this year?

Here is another alarming stat to support the conspiracy:

The Rockies are 51-24 at home; 31-43 on the road.

If this ever comes out, and I can't believe they would be doing this as the person doing it could ransom the team for millions upon million upon millions, it would destroy the franchise.

The owner would be forced to sell, the gm would be forced out. The ramifications would be the biggest in the history of sports.

I want to believe this is not true but those numbers are too far out there to believe otherwise. MLB needs to really look this over.

The most suprising thing to me is that the humidor situation apparently isnt monitored by the umpires, MLB or opposing teams. It is entirely up to the Rockies to oversee the operation. I just assumed that there was someone from MLB that oversees the balls at Coors.

Turn Off Ads?