Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Event, New NBC TV Show

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: The Event, New NBC TV Show

Pilots of shows with such large casts tend to be a jumble. The multiple-timeline technique increases the jumble factor by a bunch. I'm giving this one a couple more chances to impress me, but I imagine that it will be cancelled within its first 13 episodes. Shows that are this hard to follow don't draw big ratings.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Persons Unknown survived through the season... but it would've been better if it had died.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

If you have to name your show [plot device used in the show], it's probably a bad idea.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

That's probably why Hitchcock's "Maguffin" didn't do well at the box office.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    It reminds me of that show on ABC last year "Flashforward", I remember saying I didn't care if every character got hit by a run away bus, because I had no empathy for any of them.
    I loved FlashForward and was disappointed they cancelled it. I really got into the issue with Mark Benford and his marriage, though I will say I thought it lacked credibility later in the season as he resigned himself to losing her. It didn't seem realistic that he wasn't still pretty emotional and concerned over the fact she was about to go through with the affair.

Either way, I thought the show was pretty cool. Very disappointed it didn't get picked up another season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I loved FlashForward and was disappointed they cancelled it. I really got into the issue with Mark Benford and his marriage, though I will say I thought it lacked credibility later in the season as he resigned himself to losing her. It didn't seem realistic that he wasn't still pretty emotional and concerned over the fact she was about to go through with the affair.

Either way, I thought the show was pretty cool. Very disappointed it didn't get picked up another season.
    I felt like that a couple of years ago about the show with the guy who kept jumping back in time. Can't remember the name of it now.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I felt like that a couple of years ago about the show with the guy who kept jumping back in time. Can't remember the name of it now.

The Journeyman
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Yeah, you always forget the names of journeymen. Like Alex Ochoa, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Persons Unknown survived through the season... but it would've been better if it had died.
    Persons Unknown had historically low ratings for a series on NBC, which probably worries programming executives at the network. The Event appears to have similar plot elements to PU (slow reveal, unknown/mystical opponent, violent fates for characters), but it at least has some built-in appeal with familiar actors in its cast.
    /r/reds

Just watched episode number 2. Not much better.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I couldn't remember the name either, until RFS62 pointed it out. But I do remember Quantum Leap!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I couldn't remember the name either, until RFS62 pointed it out. But I do remember Quantum Leap!
    I once had the theme song to Quantum Leap as my cellphone ring.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

And the show these mishmashes aspire to be was all about character development, as the producers showed in the end. Lost didn't just become a classic show; it's characters became icons. When you talk about the show you talk about Jack, Locke, Hurley, Sawyer, Ben, Sayid, Desmond, etc. I'm surprised the people developing shows don't see that.
    Nothing dumber on this planet than a TV executive. They've never figured out that the secret is just to make quality shows. That's all viewers ask for. But they are always looking for that next gimmick to copy and run into the ground.

Concerning The Event... So I guess I am supposed to care about what happens to the lead couple because they are very good looking? That's all I got of it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I just watched this, and came away annoyed and confused. I will give it a couple more weeks, but I was not impressed with the pilot. After doing some research on the internet, it appears, that in order to understand this show, you will have to be following twitter, and interactive "homework" to fully understand the show. I see this one being canceled quickly.

Did I mention there was almost no plot at all?
    I caught up with the first few episodes on Hulu, and I must echo the sentiments about it.

I'm not so much concerned with the plot. I think there is one developing, but it's too convoluted and there's too much jumping around the timeline to establish what it is. What's worse is that the constant jumps are making it nearly impossible to develop any affinity for the characters. There are too many and none are getting any depth to them thus far.

I realize they're trying to start off with a bang, but I almost think they need to slow it down and give people some better insights to the people before going all out with the story. For a show trying to claim it's Lost & 24 together, it's doing a poor job. Lost started off slowly but gave people glimpses of things that were coming before it really got into the story.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Nothing dumber on this planet than a TV executive. They've never figured out that the secret is just to make quality shows. That's all viewers ask for. But they are always looking for that next gimmick to copy and run into the ground.
    I don't buy that. Networks have tons of research that not only tells them what shows people like, but why they like them. Some of that copying has to do with accountability. The network president looks at another network's ratings success with Program X and asks the programming head "Why don't we have a show like that on our schedule?" Programming head, being keenly interested in pleasing the boss in the interest of job preservation, reads between the lines of that statement and orders "a show like that" for their schedule.

Any network that copied "Lost" would do so knowing that it will never draw an audience as big as CSi.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?