Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Event, New NBC TV Show

Re: The Event, New NBC TV Show

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    And the show these mishmashes aspire to be was all about character development, as the producers showed in the end. Lost didn't just become a classic show; it's characters became icons. When you talk about the show you talk about Jack, Locke, Hurley, Sawyer, Ben, Sayid, Desmond, etc. I'm surprised the people developing shows don't see that.
    Of course, [[LOST SPOILERS FOR THOSE PLANNING TO WATCH THE DVDs]]:

even the creators of Lost failed to realize that, when we were treated to multiple seasons of time travel, ridiculous plot twists that were not character based and were never followed up on, one of the main characters being a zombie, and a second-to-last episode that had exactly one scene with those iconic characters (and that was a scene we had already seen).

It's no coincidence that almost every "flash-sideways" the characters had in the last episode involved events in Season 1 and 2 - or back when the show was truly spectacular, or that the much-ballyhooed finale ended with call backs to the (brilliant) pilot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Of course, [[LOST SPOILERS FOR THOSE PLANNING TO WATCH THE DVDs]]:

even the creators of Lost failed to realize that, when we were treated to multiple seasons of time travel, ridiculous plot twists that were not character based and were never followed up on, one of the main characters being a zombie, and a second-to-last episode that had exactly one scene with those iconic characters (and that was a scene we had already seen).

It's no coincidence that almost every "flash-sideways" the characters had in the last episode involved events in Season 1 and 2 - or back when the show was truly spectacular, or that the much-ballyhooed finale ended with call backs to the (brilliant) pilot.
    I'd argue about 90% of those plot twists were followed-up. Most of the lingering things that went unanswered were small, at least relative to the plot. Not necessarily unimportant, but not vital.

I do agree that the creators began and ended (by design) the show about the people. They have said that was their goal from the beginning. While not everything was plotted out ahead of time, the show's title even bears that out: LOST was not just about being lost on an island, but a bunch of people being lost in their own lives.

For about 75% of the people that watched this show, I would argue that it wouldn't have been what it was without those twists and turns. It's what kept the show interesting until conclusion. At the height of its' popularity in seasons one and two, which were character-centric, it was the teases of mystery about the island that had the show so popular. The character plots got us interested in the people that were subjected to the mysteries, but it was the hints of coming twists that made it intriguing.

So a show like The Event could have all these twists and turns, but to do so without any interesting people, or prior development, would (and likely will) be suicide.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I think this is like a Donnie Darko type show....you have to be smart to understand the genius. This is by far one of the best shows on television right now.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I think this is like a Donnie Darko type show....you have to be smart to understand the genius. This is by far one of the best shows on television right now.
    Ahh, yes the "you have to be smart to understand the show" argument. Still waiting to understand why I should have been watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

I am giving it another couple weeks, but so far it is an exercise in how not to make a TV show. Good shows have characters and a plot. This show has a mystery and an ensemble cast. If possible, last week was actually worse than the pilot.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Ahh, yes the "you have to be smart to understand the show" argument. Still waiting to understand why I should have been watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

I am giving it another couple weeks, but so far it is an exercise in how not to make a TV show. Good shows have characters and a plot. This show has a mystery and an ensemble cast. If possible, last week was actually worse than the pilot.
    They are developing the charters right now right? I mean it is only week three.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    They are developing the charters right now right? I mean it is only week three.
    Much better tonight. This might have a chance.

Didn't know Homer Bailey was going to have a cameo as the military guard at the end. JK
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I have to say, after a rough first episode or two, I'm really starting to enjoy this series. It's been pretty interesting, upbeat and a little easier to get into the characters.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?