Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonds Career Done?

Re: Edmonds Career Done?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not sure if he can be in uniform if he's not on the active roster.
    I don't think there's any rule about that. You'll see a lot more than 25 guys in the Reds dugout in the post season. I seem to recall Bill Doran hanging around for the post season in 1990

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Ok, what about these guys on the DL who hang around the dugout. IIRC, Jonny Gomes was leading the cheers for the Rays back during the ALCS against Boston and he was left off the post-season roster.

That's why I said I didn't know. I know they tightened up access to clubhouses for non-uniformed personnel a couple of years ago but I don't know if that pertains to injured players. I don't think they would put him on the DL anyway since there's no point to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

That's why I said I didn't know. I know they tightened up access to clubhouses for non-uniformed personnel a couple of years ago but I don't know if that pertains to injured players. I don't think they would put him on the DL anyway since there's no point to it.
    I think you are still pissed that they denied you access when you tried to sneak in the clubhouse after your vintage game.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    I hope he goes out on his terms.
    If we were Cards fans, we'd be expecting our manager to light up the Brewers for allowing Bush to groove a pitch, thus resulting in an injury on Edmonds HR trot.

(good to see you back matty)
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I think you are still pissed that they denied you access when you tried to sneak in the clubhouse after your vintage game.

I'm waiting for them to bring Javy back.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Edmunds will make a good TV guy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    That's an understatement. "Hollywood" Edmonds was hated on this forum as much as Carpenter is now. I hope his career isn't over. Even if it is, he did have a great career. Edmonds was the best Center Fielder that I've ever seen. He wasn't the fastest, but he made up for it with hustle, and always seemed to make the plays that most other players wouldn't be able to get to. Edmonds is a good guy, I hope he goes out on his terms.
    Frankly, Edmonds was not the most popular player when he was with the Angels and that was from Angels fans. The reaction from this board matches that, nothing more, so please stop dumping on Reds fans for realizing what he truley is/was.

I thought the deal by Walt to get Edmonds to Cincinnati was a good move and I publicly said so---but I thought it was a good move in the context of giving Edmonds a short time (remainder of the season and then he's done). The other part I liked was that it took Dickerson out of the equation in CF and clearly made Stubbs the CF of the future.

Having met Edmonds several times in public settings away from baseball I can tell you that I still think he's a jerk.

Rem

I wonder if 15Fan was sticking pins in his Edmonds voodoo doll when he hit that HR?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I wonder if he can retire immediately at the end of the season and then be added to the coaching staff for the playoffs so he can stay in the dugout?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Edmonds had been crushing the ball lately, so this injury came at an unfortunate time. I was hoping he would get the remaining starts in LF vs RHP. I wouldn't mind seeing him return next season in a bench role but I doubt it happens as he seems to have his mind set on retiring.

I wonder if 15Fan was sticking pins in his Edmonds voodoo doll when he hit that HR?
    Wait. You mean something bad happened to a guy wearing #15 for the Reds?

I'd rather pass a kidney stone every day for the rest of my life than root for Jim Edmonds for even a nanosecond.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I wonder if he can retire immediately at the end of the season and then be added to the coaching staff for the playoffs so he can stay in the dugout?
    I believe anyone on the 40 man roster can be in the dugout.Not sure but almost.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    “It’s been miserable,” Braun said. “They dominated us.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=300921108
    Reds are 9-1 agianst the Brewers....he ain't lyin
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If he popped that achilles I would say he will retire. He missed all of last season with injuries and he may just not want to do all the rehab required.
    That was certainly a great way to go out though. I always liked Edmonds even though he was pretty much despised on this forum. I liked the way he always hustled and gave everything he had. MLB could use more like him,IMO.
    If he popped the Achilles tendon and finished his home run trot, then he may be the toughest man alive. I have seen football players drop like they've been shot when they have ruptured an Achilles.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    If he popped the Achilles tendon and finished his home run trot, then he may be the toughest man alive. I have seen football players drop like they've been shot when they have ruptured an Achilles.
    Talked with my dad about this. He had Achilles problems 25 years ago. He thinks the same thing. If he blew it, he has impeccable balance. Because you lose the ability to control your ankle, your leg becomes a peg for lack of a better word. The Reds said lower leg strain. Who knows maybe he did something else.

Story from the old days: Apparently my late grandfather, when he was 15 was working in a field of corn with a corn knife(think machete). His brother in law was helping and swung a little too hard, and chopped him in the Achilles severing it. They loaded my grandfather up took him to the doctor, remember this was around 1934, and they stitched it together in the office without anesthetic. He recovered but always had a knot on his Achilles. He served in WWII and was a farmer all his life, I never knew this story until this morning.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?