Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonds Career Done?

Edmonds Career Done?

johnfayman Edmonds felt something pop as he ran the bases. Not good when you're dealing w/ Achilles problem. Wasn't sure where he'd be examined. #reds

Edmonds: "I've been expecting it." He was leaning toward retirement after this year. So the homer could have been it. #reds

If that is it, what a way to go out. Your last appearance ever and you hit a HR. I hope it's not as serious as he thinks and he can play again this season, but if this is it I hope he sticks around for the last couple weeks and the strech run. He didn't do much on the field in his time here, but it seems like some of the young guys on the team really gravitate towards him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Edmonds Career Done?

I actually thought of that as he limped home. He might just take it as a sign and end his career on a HR even if rehabbing could get him back by the NLCS or WS...

if its true then its sad for Jim & also bad for the Reds. they could REALLY use his bat in the postseason.

If he's done, what a career. He didn't do a ton on the field for the Reds but ever since the Reds acquired him Bruce and Stubbs looked like different hitters. The full effect of that trade may never be truly appreciated. What a career.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

He's gonna make an awesome hitting coach if he ever so chooses.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I'm hoping he rehabs and comes back next year in LF.

If he popped that achilles I would say he will retire. He missed all of last season with injuries and he may just not want to do all the rehab required.
    That was certainly a great way to go out though. I always liked Edmonds even though he was pretty much despised on this forum. I liked the way he always hustled and gave everything he had. MLB could use more like him,IMO.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I always liked Edmonds even though he was pretty much despised on this forum.
    That's an understatement. "Hollywood" Edmonds was hated on this forum as much as Carpenter is now. I hope his career isn't over. Even if it is, he did have a great career. Edmonds was the best Center Fielder that I've ever seen. He wasn't the fastest, but he made up for it with hustle, and always seemed to make the plays that most other players wouldn't be able to get to. Edmonds is a good guy, I hope he goes out on his terms.

Great all-around ballplayer. You don't find many CFs who hit and defend like Edmonds could.

If he's able to get himself healthy, I'd like to see him back in some role as a Red next year. But lower leg issues are dicey for older guys, especially outfielders.

If he retires, that was a tremendous, fitting last AB.

I don't think there's any question that this is his last year because he can no longer stay healthy. It'd be nice if he could help us in the post season but when you're so old that you get hurt rounding the bases after a HR, it's time to hang it up.

I hope he's on the bench anyway during the post season. He doesn't seem like a rah-rah guy, but that's the "Veteran Presence" we all know and love.

(Volleys in 5...4...3.......)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I hope he's on the bench anyway during the post season. He doesn't seem like a rah-rah guy, but that's the "Veteran Presence" we all know and love.

(Volleys in 5...4...3.......)
    I'm not sure if he can be in uniform if he's not on the active roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I was really looking forward to him being part of the postseason lineup card. His experience could have been used on this young roster in those battles and he's been very good when he's played. I'm glad he came here, he truly made us better just beyond the box score. If this is it; I have outside hopes that Jocketty and Dusty let him coach in his retirement if he wants. He can help this team down the line.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not sure if he can be in uniform if he's not on the active roster.
    Ok, what about these guys on the DL who hang around the dugout. IIRC, Jonny Gomes was leading the cheers for the Rays back during the ALCS against Boston and he was left off the post-season roster.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I thought this was an interesting comment by Ryan Braun.

Braun, his close friend on the other side, had another thought.
    “I think he was just waiting for an opportunity to hit a home run and call it a career,” Braun said. “He’ll be back for the postseason, I think.”

I liked this one by Braun to referring to the domination of the Reds over the Brewers this season.

“It’s been miserable,” Braun said. “They dominated us.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=300921108
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?