Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brewers discussing Fielder-Broxton trade

Brewers discussing Fielder-Broxton trade

According to ESPN "Los Angeles," Milwaukee and the Dodgers are talking about a Loney/Broxton trade for Prince Fielder.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5892211

That would be a pretty good deal for both sides.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brewers discussing Fielder-Broxton trade

Brewers get the raw end big time in this deal, IMO.

Looney is as replaceable a player as you can get, and Broxton has great stuff, but mentaly collapsed the second half of last season.

Remember that huge AB with Votto late in the last game they played last season? That was Broxton pretty much everytime the game was on the line. you could see the fear in his eyes. He had lost confidence in his ability to get hitters out. Maye he gets it back, but it's a risk.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    According to ESPN "Los Angeles," Milwaukee and the Dodgers are talking about a Loney/Broxton trade for Prince Fielder.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5892211

That would be a pretty good deal for both sides.
    I'd hope that the Brewers could get more than that. Productive 1B are pretty easy to find. James Loney isn't one of them. Brewers would be better off taking Broxton and kids and signing Laroche, Pena or Overbay.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Fielder for a (very good) reliever and a crappy 1B? I hope it happens, but I can't imagine it's true. Seems like a pretty bizarre trade to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Fielder for a (very good) reliever and a crappy 1B? I hope it happens, but I can't imagine it's true. Seems like a pretty bizarre trade to me.
    Agreed. This deal makes very little sense for the Brewers.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd hope that the Brewers could get more than that. Productive 1B are pretty easy to find. James Loney isn't one of them. Brewers would be better off taking Broxton and kids and signing Laroche, Pena or Overbay.
    I agree on Loney. I don't think he has much value. But I think Broxton is a solid return. Put him at the end of the bullpen with Axford and they're on to something IMHO.

Should Fielder fetch more than that? Perhaps. But Broxton is pretty darn good.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Fielder's trade value has been eaten away...
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Fielder's trade value has been eaten away...
    He'll be here all day, ladies & gentlemen. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I agree on Loney. I don't think he has much value. But I think Broxton is a solid return. Put him at the end of the bullpen with Axford and they're on to something IMHO.

Should Fielder fetch more than that? Perhaps. But Broxton is pretty darn good.
    Loney made 3.1 Million in 2010, is arb eligible and its too late to non-tender. He has negative trade value IMO. For $4 or $5 Million, they would be better off signing Laroche and working in Gamel.

Perhaps they could flip Loney to a team like Atlanta as insurance for Freeman for something useful. Kenshin Kawakami would help the Brewers in the 5th spot and his money would offset Loney's.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Loney made 3.1 Million in 2010, is arb eligible and its too late to non-tender. He has negative trade value IMO. For $4 or $5 Million, they would be better off signing Laroche and working in Gamel.

Perhaps they could flip Loney to a team like Atlanta as insurance for Freeman for something useful. Kenshin Kawakami would help the Brewers in the 5th spot and his money would offset Loney's.
    Well, the report also says the Cubs are interested in Loney, so I'm not sure I'd characterize him as having negative trade value if another team is interested.

They can't non-tender Loney, but if they need to, they could still release him for about (if my math is correct) just under $500k (termination pay). That's an expensive amount to pay for terminating someone, but it's better than paying someone well over $3 million if he's not worth it.

I'm certainly not going to praise the virtues of Loney. He's simply not very good. He's a decent hitter but has no power and isn't Mark Grace defensively. But I suppose he's still slightly better than any replacement you could bring up. I'd agree though that they might be better off trying their luck with Gamel.

The rumor of a Fielder/Loney/Broxton deal has been shot down.

http://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/s...09510775967745

Turn Off Ads?