Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Edmonds Career Done?

Re: Edmonds Career Done?

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    I believe anyone on the 40 man roster can be in the dugout.Not sure but almost.
    Yes. During the 2007 World Series, Royce Clayton, who was not on the active roster, was miked up in the Red Sox dugout so he could explain to Jacoby Ellsbury(and the taco buying public) that if he stole a base, everyone in America could get a free taco. Pretty cheesy little act.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Yes. During the 2007 World Series, Royce Clayton, who was not on the active roster, was miked up in the Red Sox dugout so he could explain to Jacoby Ellsbury(and the taco buying public) that if he stole a base, everyone in America could get a free taco. Pretty cheesy little act.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

He obviously didn't tear it. John Fay said during the 2nd inning that he hopes to be back for the playoffs and that he was relieved that there was no tear

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He obviously didn't tear it. John Fay said during the 2nd inning that he hopes to be back for the playoffs and that he was relieved that there was no tear
    Do you put him on the playoff roster though? If he's so fragile that he can pull something during a home run trot, if he does that in a playoff game, the Reds are down a man until the next series.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Do you put him on the playoff roster though? If he's so fragile that he can pull something during a home run trot, if he does that in a playoff game, the Reds are down a man until the next series.
    Depends on the situation with Nix. Who's a better bet to contribute?

If that happens, you can replace him within the series anyhow. Worst-case scenario is that he just can't be used during the next (possibly even last) series. But if that injury occurs at that point, it's likely he'd miss the rest of the playoffs anyways.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If that happens, you can replace him within the series anyhow. Worst-case scenario is that he just can't be used during the next (possibly even last) series. But if that injury occurs at that point, it's likely he'd miss the rest of the playoffs anyways.
    I thought you had to wait until the end of the current series to replace an injured player. Otherwise guys who suck would get replaced all the time. I think I'd take my chances with a healthy Nix than someone who makes Austin Kearns look like Cal Ripkin, Jr.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I thought you had to wait until the end of the current series to replace an injured player. Otherwise guys who suck would get replaced all the time. I think I'd take my chances with a healthy Nix than someone who makes Austin Kearns look like Cal Ripkin, Jr.
    Someone posted a link the other day (which I could verify within the ML rules if I weren't too lazy right now to look it up) that you can actually replace them within the series, but if you do, they cannot be re-added to the roster for the next series.

So if Edmonds were replaced in the middle of the NLDS, he would have to sit out the NLCS.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Depends on the situation with Nix. Who's a better bet to contribute?
    Edmonds. No contest
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Let me tell you about Jim Edmonds. As a Cardinal, i hated him. HATED him. He always got the important hit--the one that hurt and made the catch that killed a rally. Through all of this, I knew the difference between Edmonds and other players. He was a guy who knew what to do, when to do it, and contributed. There a few of those guys in the majors, but not many. When he came to the Reds my attitude was different.

The trade that sent Scott Rolen to the Reds was a godsend. Rolen has added so much to the club with his clubhouse quiet leadership as well as his temendous fielding and bat. Folks here dissed the trade as they lamented over Edwin Encarnacion. It happend again with Edmonds in the trade for Chris Flipping Dickerson (to be kind). Players like Edmonds and Rolen make a differene, even in old age. They are winners. Players who know how to win, have been there, and make few mistakes that cost you games. Dickerson can't stay healthy and Ecarnacion can't field and people continued to gripe agbout giving up a prospect or two to get Rolen.

The debate here so far has been on who is more valuable--Laynce Nix or Jim Edmonds and I am beside myself. What has Nix ever done to even compare with a 40+ year old Edmonds. Nothing. Not one thing. Epic fail on that argument. I hope and pray that Jim Edmonds is coming back for the playoffs. Not for his hitting and fielding, but for his leadership and what he's done for the young players. Laynce Nix. I'd not renew his contract after this season. He is not in Jim Edmond's league even at advanced age.

And yet the debate continues. I really don't understand, but even with three advanced college degrees, I guess I am dumb. Edwin should be at third, Dickerson should be in center and Nix should be in left. I shake my head.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I don't know what to think about Edmonds.On one hand I think that he's an over 40, washed up, hated, former Cardinal that I could care less about and then on the other hand I think that of all the guys to only play a handful of regular season games for the Reds, he could end up being the most famous and loved one of that bunch ever.

Okay, so it's not an exact parallel; it's still a nice thought.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Let me tell you about Jim Edmonds. As a Cardinal, i hated him. HATED him. He always got the important hit--the one that hurt and made the catch that killed a rally. Through all of this, I knew the difference between Edmonds and other players. He was a guy who knew what to do, when to do it, and contributed. There a few of those guys in the majors, but not many. When he came to the Reds my attitude was different.

The trade that sent Scott Rolen to the Reds was a godsend. Rolen has added so much to the club with his clubhouse quiet leadership as well as his temendous fielding and bat. Folks here dissed the trade as they lamented over Edwin Encarnacion. It happend again with Edmonds in the trade for Chris Flipping Dickerson (to be kind). Players like Edmonds and Rolen make a differene, even in old age. They are winners. Players who know how to win, have been there, and make few mistakes that cost you games. Dickerson can't stay healthy and Ecarnacion can't field and people continued to gripe agbout giving up a prospect or two to get Rolen.

The debate here so far has been on who is more valuable--Laynce Nix or Jim Edmonds and I am beside myself. What has Nix ever done to even compare with a 40+ year old Edmonds. Nothing. Not one ^%$# thing. Epic fail on that argument. I hope and pray that Jim Edmonds is coming back for the playoffs. Not for his hitting and fielding, but for his leadership and what he's done for the young players. Laynce Nix. I'd not renew his contract after this season. He is not in Jim Edmond's league even at advanced age.

And yet the debate continues. I really don't understand, but even with three advanced college degrees, I guess I am dumb. Edwin should be at third, Dickerson should be in center and Nix should be in left. I shake my head.
    No one ever debated who was better between Nix and Edmonds. The question at hand is who can be counted on to perform come playoff time, and that discussion INCLUDES discussing the injury situation. Based on what we know, I'd think that Nix is a better bet to be a healthy bat come playoff time.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    No one ever debated who was better between Nix and Edmonds. The question at hand is who can be counted on to perform come playoff time, and that discussion INCLUDES discussing the injury situation. Based on what we know, I'd think that Nix is a better bet to be a healthy bat come playoff time.
    Oh sure. If he's healthy, though, I go with Edmonds. If not, I don't know what I'd do. Nix is a marginal player, but most bench guys are. It will depend on Edmonds' health, but if he is healthy (and I doubt he will be), I'd go with him over Nix or Heisey. Sad to say, but true.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Oh sure. If he's healthy, though, I go with Edmonds. If not, I don't know what I'd do. Nix is a marginal player, but most bench guys are. It will depend on Edmonds' health, but if he is healthy (and I doubt he will be), I'd go with him over Nix or Heisey. Sad to say, but true.
    And I think most, if not everyone would agree with this.

However, the big variable here is "if healthy", and we can play this game on a message board and assume health, but in real life, it is clearly going to be factored in come playoff time.

Turn Off Ads?