Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Sweet

Rick Sweet

I don't know if any of you saw it, but in the opener in Milwaukee, Sweet was in the tv booth for an inning and a half.

And while I don't remember what he said in detail, two days later, I do remember that I was as impressed as I have ever been with someone after hearing him talk for that span. He came across as exactly the kind of coach/teacher you want as your team's manager, regardless of level. And he it was clear that part of the reason the Reds have been fortunate to have so many kids come up from AAA in the last several years ready to play is no accident. Clearly Sweet (and Power, who he was quick to give credit to) have been doing a great job at preparing the prospects to help, not just physically, but mentally. At one point he talked about meetings he holds following losses to go over with the team where mental mistakes were made and what to correct going forward. It is less impressive with me recounting it, but if you didn't get a chance to hear it, thought you might like to know how great he sounded and that it must be a joy to play for him.

He also talked about dealing with the emotions of players on the cusp, and also managing those who have been up and are demoted. He said he gives them a day or two to mope, but that if it starts to go longer than that, he calls them in his office and gets them refocused and right quick. Brought a smile to my face.

All in all, it was a joy to hear him talk, and I hope the Reds have a home for that guy in this organization for a long time. Some of the questions I have had for why the team's developmental portion of the minor league proceedings is going better in the last several years were answered the more I heard Sweet talk. Drafting talent is one thing. Moving it from draft to the majors is quite another.

Solid baseball guy, in the best sense of that phrase, is how he came across.
    Last edited by membengal; 09-22-2010 at 07:09 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rick Sweet

Absolutely. I listened to him about the whole time he was on, and it was gold. Pure baseball gold.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I heard that interview too. Sweet was great. I would hate to lose him but if some MLB team doesn't give him a chance it would be a real shame. He deserves the opportunity in the majors.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I heard that interview too. Sweet was great. I would hate to lose him but if some MLB team doesn't give him a chance it would be a real shame. He deserves the opportunity in the majors.

Agree. If not us, then someone else.

He'll get a bench coach job sooner or later at worst.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

rick would be sweet !!

Tons of people being interviewed right now around MLB and other interviews being set up.

Haven't heard Rick Sweet's name being mentioned anywhere.

Anybody else hear anything about any teams showing interest in Sweet or other Cincy Coaches?

I believe all the major league coaches got new two year deals with Dusty.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Wouldn't mind Sweet at 3rd base. Berry has driven e nuts over the years. Probably wouldn't thrill Rick though.

Lance McAlister often interviews Rick Sweet on his show, Ted Power has also been a frequent quest. Very entertaining and informative stuff in my opinion.

I believe Rick Sweet could be a very successful major league manager if ever given the chance.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-15-2010 at 03:56 AM.

All I know is back in 1982 as a present for my grad my parents sent me with my friend to Seattle and I viewed Sweets daughter and came away stunned thinking she was the most gorgous girl in the world.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

From the Reds twitter page:

Manager Rick Sweet & his entire coaching staff at Triple-A @LouisvilleBats will return for 2011. #Reds

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From the Reds twitter page:

Manager Rick Sweet & his entire coaching staff at Triple-A @LouisvilleBats will return for 2011. #Reds

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds
    That just made my day! I was not expecting the entire coaching staff to be back, I hope that is true, but I do not see anything about that in the Courier Journal article, and I thought Smokey Garrett was going to retire.

Yeah, I heard the same about Smokey.

That is awesome news.

Turn Off Ads?