Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which approach would you choose as the manager?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd rather go into the playoffs with a rested team, even if that means playing the Phillies

27 48.21%
  • I'd rather avoid Philly if I can, even if that means going in with a tired team

29 51.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The playoff dilemma, simply put

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The playoff dilemma, simply put

First, let's get the jinx disclaimer out of the way: This is only hypothetical at this point, can't count your chickens before they're hatched, that's why they play the games, etc.

But, hypothetically speaking, with an eight-game lead and the magic number at four, odds are in favor of clinching the division sometime this weekend. That leaves the Reds with somewhere around 6-7 games left to play.

Let's also grant that Philadelphia is going to win home-field advantage in the NL. The Braves are leading the wild-card race, let's say that is still the case first of next week. If the Braves win the wild card, then the Central or West winner with the worse record gets the Phillies in the Division Series.

The Reds have several guys who could use some days off to recharge before the playoffs. But if the Reds don't keep putting their best lineups out there in an attempt to outpace the NL West leader, they're on the hook to (probably) face the Phillies in the first round.

So how do you manage the last week looking ahead to the playoffs? The choices are rather clear, and I'll put them in a poll. Is your top priority having a rested team for the playoffs, even if it means facing the Phillies, or are you more concerned with winning and avoiding Philly, even if it means the guys who need rest won't get it?
    Not all who wander are lost

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The playoff dilemma, simply put

Winning, avoiding Philly, and getting home-field. If this happens I think we have a good chance of getting past the 1st round, and who knows maybe someone from the West will knock off the Phils. This is our best path for getting to the WS.

And yes I am happy with making it to the playoffs, but if we are going to get that far, we might as well try and win the whole thing. And resting guys and facing Philly in the 1st round makes that very, very difficult.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I'd rest the guys up, and not worry about home field advantage.

Obviously, I'd much rather face the Braves than the Phils, but I don't want to wear out the players (esp the bullpen) to try to get home field advantage.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Avoid Philly. If the Braves continue their collapse, problem solved. Otherwise, as Herm Edwards said ... "you play to win the game."
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I'd like to rest the starters and avoid Philly as our young guys play hungry and keep winning. I think it is entirely possible to do so. I would rest the veterans up regardless once we clinch and let things fall where they will.

They'll have plenty of rest anyway. Dusty should know going into the last game whether or not a win will affect the home field advantage. He can rest guys that day, and the playoffs won't start until Wednesday or Thursday. That's 3 or 4 days for Rolen, etc. Also, an off day tomorrow and another on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Avoid Philly. If the Braves continue their collapse, problem solved. Otherwise, as Herm Edwards said ... "you play to win the game."
    No, I believe the Reds would have to stay ahead of who wins the West. So it's not just on the Braves.

They mentioned on the Reds' TV broadcast last night that they'd asked bench coach Chris Speier what he thought would be most important for the team in winning in the playoffs. Speier said that having Scott Rolen healthy and physically able to carry the team like he is capable of doing is the most important factor.

I thought that was an interesting take that's relevant to this discussion.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Give me everybody healthy and rested. I don't think our chances against any of the playoff teams are that drastically different.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Clinch, then they can rest. Votto and BP need it. Bruce is still dinged a bit. Rolen can always use a day or two off. Cabrera despite sitting for a month can always use a breather.

And it gets Valaika, Francisco, Heisey and Alonso in some games and showcases them a bit.

win-win-win.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

As a fan, I hope for the playoffs year-in and year-out. However, I never expect a championship and always consider it icing on the cake.

But once the Reds are actually in the playoffs, I go in all-or-nothing mode with my hopes. It makes almost no difference to me whether they get eliminated in the first round or World Series because any season ending in a playoff loss is pretty much the same to me. Therefore, I'm all about resting the key players and getting them primed for the playoffs.

It is pretty simple for me. If our pitchers step up, we can beat anyone in the NL. If our pitchers don't, I don't like our chances. Philly doesn't scare me more than anyone else because of that.

I don't see the Reds catching the Phils for best record since they are 5 games back with 10 to play.

But I think they do need to stay ahead of the Giants/Padres/Rockies in case they play them.

If I read the tea leaves correctly:
    1. if wild card comes from the West, the Phils get them with home field.
    2. If the wild card comes from the east, the Reds get them with home field.

In scenario #1, let's make the west coast team travel more. The Reds and the west coast don't mix well historically.

But I don't want the best record chase to be a Bataan death march. Get some rest.

Pay attention to the open sky

Rest. They need it. Being this is first time that most of these guys have been in the hunt it can be doubly taxing. This year the main thing is to get there. Anything else is icing on the cake.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As we all know, the Reds have performed fairly well when they have lineups in place that the masses don't care much for.

Cincy should look to go for 1st round home field while resting their guys at the same time, but not drastically lean either way. Don't play the starters each and every game and don't start the 2nd string the majority of the games. Sit Rolen and Phillips one game, OCab and Bruce the next, Votto and Stubbs the third, then repeat. Or something like that.

Turn Off Ads?