16. Heath Hembree, rhp, Giants
    17. Chevez Clarke, of, Angels
    18. Ji-Man Choi, 1b/c, Mariners
    19. Teodoro Martinez, of, Rangers
    20. Ralston Cash, rhp, Dodgers

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0/2610706.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America's Top 20 AZL Prospects

Too bad Torreyes couldn't have been there a little longer. I'd have thought Samuel Diaz and El'Hajj Muhammad might have found their way in; but no biggie.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Too bad Torreyes couldn't have been there a little longer. I'd have thought Samuel Diaz and El'Hajj Muhammad might have found their way in; but no biggie.
    There is no way that a 49th round pick would make this list, even if he went out and threw 25 innings without allowing a run and striking out 40.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There is no way that a 49th round pick would make this list, even if he went out and threw 25 innings without allowing a run and striking out 40.
    Than it's not a prospect list it's a popularity list. Which most of these list are.

Muhammad had an outstanding season and at the very least should have made the bottom 5. The list lost all validaty when I saw Donavan Tate #6 on the list.

Tate posted a .222 BA, a.681 OPS and Struck out 46% of his plate appearances. It is based of his draft position. Quite frankly it's the same for Arias. He is no way shape or form a better prospect than Guillon.

Yet Guillon who was easily the best pitcher in the league, is LH, throws in the mid 90's, dominated in a hitter's league and is only 18 was ranked 9th? Yet Yambati who is a year older, allowed more hits and had way less K's is 3rd? List is all kinds of jacked up.

Guillermo Pimentel on the other hand has all kinds of superstar written all over him. That much power at 17 and LH is scary. I could see a season where him and Yorman battle it out for MiLPOY...

True.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Than it's not a prospect list it's a popularity list. Which most of these list are.
    No, its not. A prospect list is about potential, especially at this level. It isn't about production at all. It is about tools.

Muhammad had an outstanding season and at the very least should have made the bottom 5. The list lost all validaty when I saw Donavan Tate #6 on the list.
    Do you know a single thing about him other than his numbers? Do you realize he is a reliever?

Tate posted a .222 BA, a.681 OPS and Struck out 46% of his plate appearances. It is based of his draft position. Quite frankly it's the same for Arias. He is no way shape or form a better prospect than Guillon.
    Yes Arias is. Explosive offensive scouting reports on him.

Yet Guillon who was easily the best pitcher in the league, is LH, throws in the mid 90's, dominated in a hitter's league and is only 18 was ranked 9th? Yet Yambati who is a year older, allowed more hits and had way less K's is 3rd? List is all kinds of jacked up.
    Guillon was not the best pitcher in the league. I would argue he wasn't even the best pitcher on his own team (Correa). He doesn't throw Mid 90's either. I don't know the scouting report on Yambati, but I bet its probably a little stronger than that of Guillon which is why he is ranked higher.

The report says that Guillon sits 90-92 with the best change-up in the league. The Reds think very highly of Guillon according to BA.

Resident PED Expert

Do you know a single thing about him other than his numbers? Do you realize he is a reliever?

He is a long reliever the Reds converted to a starter his last outting in Billings. Something I suggested in an post earlier this year.

Yes Arias is. Explosive offensive scouting reports on him.
    If you had to bet your life savings on one reaching the Majors which one would it be? My money be on Guillon. Arias K's a Ton right now and couldn't catch a cold. He has much further to go IMO.

Guillon was not the best pitcher in the league. I would argue he wasn't even the best pitcher on his own team (Correa).

Guillon get the advantage over Correa for me because he is 18, LH and has a advanced feel for pitching (Control) from that side.

He doesn't throw Mid 90's either.

Heard he gets it up to 93-94 when he reaches back for it one year after TJ Surgery. Add a couple more years removed from surgury and refine his mechanics, he will be hitting Mid 90's more consistantly.

Why are people so enthralled with AZL/VSL statistics lately? The list shouldn't be a popularity contest, but until these anonymous 18 year olds prove themselves at a level with a decent spread of credible talent, draft position and scouting reports are going to be a whole lot more reliable than statistics.

I expected higher for Correa. I don't know anything about the other guys, but his stuff sounded nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    He is a long reliever the Reds converted to a starter his last outting in Billings. Something I suggested in an post earlier this year.
    So because he made one start it boosts his value? Also, can you tell me one thing about his arsenal? How hard does he throw? What pitches does he throw? How are his mechanics?

If you had to bet your life savings on one reaching the Majors which one would it be? My money be on Guillon. Arias K's a Ton right now and couldn't catch a cold. He has much further to go IMO.
    I would absolutely take Arias. Simple reason... he doesn't throw a baseball for a living. As for him not being able to catch a cold, I am assuming you mean his errors. Do you know how many were fielding errors and how many were throwing errors? How many wouldn't have been errors at all with a major league first baseman? At this level scouting reports are so much more important than stats that it isn't even funny. Christopher Hanna, 18 years old, Texas Rangers organization.... Had a sub 1.00 ERA with 38 strikeouts and 4 walks in 27.2 innings. Didn't make the Top 20. Numbers just don't matter for guys at this level all that much (at least those 19 or younger). As for Arias having further to go, that could be true, but it might not be either. He doesn't have to throw 600 or so innings and risk serious injury on every one of them. He doesn't have to learn a third pitch, which some guys simply can't do.

Heard he gets it up to 93-94 when he reaches back for it one year after TJ Surgery. Add a couple more years removed from surgury and refine his mechanics, he will be hitting Mid 90's more consistantly.
    93-94 isn't mid 90's. It is also a giant assumption that he adds velocity. Not everyone does.

Three of the top twelve are Reds. Looks good to me.

Here is a site with some pictures of the 2010 AZL Reds:

http://fourseamimages.photoshelter.c...0009dZ7dG_1Wo8

Thought that this would be helpful for anyone that wants to see what some of these look like. It always nice to be able to put a face with a stat line.

Outstanding. Thanks, JBfan.

Turn Off Ads?