Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce Thread, Part II

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Jay Bruce Thread, Part II

Maybe Edmond's arrival coincided with Bruce discovering he can use chocolate milk instead of skim in his cereal. I agree that people are blowing Edmonds' influence way out of proportion. His ability to coach rivals the legend of Denorfia around here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Maybe Edmond's arrival coincided with Bruce discovering he can use chocolate milk instead of skim in his cereal. I agree that people are blowing Edmonds' influence way out of proportion. His ability to coach rivals the legend of Denorfia around here.
    Bruce himself has said that Edmonds helped him stay back and not be so jumpy. I really don't think it's any coincidence that Bruce has thrived since Edmonds got to town.

Bruce is the one swinging the bat. He has the talent. But I think it's clear Edmonds has had a tremendous influence on him thus far.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I agree.

It seems like every time Jay does something good there are a bunch of post saying "I saw Bruce talking to Edmonds in the dugout". It's fast becoming an urban legend.

I've seen Jay talking to everyone of his teammates in the dugout, that' what teammates do.

Hypothetical comment #1: Jim Edmonds is responsible for Jay Bruce coming on

Hypothetical comment #2: Jim Edmonds has had a positive influence on Jay Bruce

I think people should be able to recognize the difference in those types of statements. One is being mistaken for another in this thread.
    Last edited by Brutus; 09-29-2010 at 03:39 AM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Homer Bailey turned it on last year after learning the splitter from Justin Lehr, I believe. Of course, it was Homer who went out and mowed those teams, mostly The Pirates down, but it's perfectly fine to credit someone who helped out.

I realize Edmonds is a former hated rival, but when Jay Bruce came out and basically said Edmonds got him to step being jumpy at the plate, I'll take his word for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Homer Bailey turned it on last year after learning the splitter from Justin Lehr, I believe. Of course, it was Homer who went out and mowed those teams, mostly The Pirates down, but it's perfectly fine to credit someone who helped out.

I realize Edmonds is a former hated rival, but when Jay Bruce came out and basically said Edmonds got him to step being jumpy at the plate, I'll take his word for it.

If that is the case great.. I quite frankly do not care why lol. I am just so pleased that our beloved Reds have become relevant again
    Bless You Boys!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    If that is the case great.. I quite frankly do not care why lol. I am just so pleased that our beloved Reds have become relevant again
    Bless You Boys!
    Can't argue with that!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Hypothetical comment #1: Jim Edmonds is responsible for Jay Bruce coming on

Hypothetical comment #2: Jim Edmonds has had a positive influence on Jay Bruce

I think people should be able to recognize the difference in those types of statements. One is being mistaken for another in this thread.
    I'm sure Edmonds has given Bruce some advice or a few pointers. All I'm saying is I think it's all being overblown.

Sure he's going to say Edmonds advice helped him. He's not going to tell reporters no, he just said the same things I've been told for years.

Jay spent a lot of time talking to KGJ and Dunn in the dugout when he first came up, he started out like a house on fire. no reporter stuck a microphone in his face back then and ask him how they helped him.

I just believe this story is being exaggerated. (JMHO)

This really bothered Bruce and he questioned Edmonds about it.
    "Edmonds, you said that once I decided to follow you,
    you would walk with me all the way,
    but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
    there is only one set of footprints.
    "I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
    you should leave me."
    Edmonds replied, "My precious, precious Jay,
    You are my teammate and I would never, never leave you
    during your times of trial and suffering.
    "When you saw only one set of footprints,
    it was then that I carried you."
    Last edited by membengal; 09-29-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Bruce's stat line with five games to go:

.275/.346/.475 for a .821 OPS. 22 HR.

Nice year and given what he is doing against lefties now, a nice step forward for the 23-year-old.
    Last edited by membengal; 09-29-2010 at 07:05 AM.

This just in... Jay Bruce is good!
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

Nice year and given what he is doing against lefties now, a nice step forward for the 23-year-old.
    That's a really nice line just by itself.

Now put it with his awesome RF D.

Solid.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

Wait!!! Jay Bruce is only 23?! Unpossible!!!

Quote from Jay Bruce last night: "I am truly proud to call myself a Cincinnati Red." Jay, we're proud to have you in the Cincinnati Reds organization. You are welcome to stay as long as you want.

YouTube - Reds celebrate 2010 NL Central title!

I thought it was interesting that Bruce choked up on the bat in his 6th inning AB. I don't recall him doing that before.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?