Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you offer Laynce Nix arbitration?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, offer him arbitration. He's worth the contract.

16 34.78%
  • No, do not offer him arbitration. He's not worth it.

30 65.22%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bring Back Laynce Nix for 2011?

Bring Back Laynce Nix for 2011?

It's flying a bit under the radar, but Laynce Nix is having a very strong year. When he signed as a minor league free agent before the 2009 season, I don't think too many people saw him as much more than minor league depth. However, he made the team out of spring training and proceeded to have a solid year, posting an OPS+ of 98 while providing good defense. He earned just $630,000, but despite his success, he was non-tendered. Apparently there were still a lot of doubters out there, which is understandable when you consider his track record, and because of that, he couldn't find a Major League contract as a free agent. Fortunately for the Reds, they were able to retain him on another minor league contract.

Why do I say 'fortunately'? Well, he has improved quite a bit on his 2009 performance. At the moment, his OPS+ stands at 114, and by every defensive metric I've seen, his defense has improved as well.

Thanks to arbitration, there's no doubt that he'd get a raise on whatever he's earning this year. I don't know how much that is, but I'd imagine it's somewhere between $600k and $1M.

Keeping all that in mind, would you tender him a contract for 2011? Personally, I'm all for it. Here's why:
    1.) The free agent options aren't all that impressive.
    2.) Although he'll likely get a big raise, it shouldn't be too big thanks to his overall career numbers.
    3.) The Reds' outfield depth is thin. There's Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, Chris Heisey, and maybe Jonny Gomes.

For reference, here are some of his numbers:
    Code:
    AS A RED
    split		BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    vs. RHP		.262	.314	.486	.800
    vs. LHP		.208	.255	.333	.588
    total		.256	.308	.470	.779

CAREER
    split		BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    vs. RHP		.250	.292	.446	.738
    vs. LHP		.192	.232	.285	.517
    total		.243	.285	.425	.710
    So what do you think? Would you offer arbitration?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bring Back Laynce Nix for 2011?

Treat him the same way you did last year. Let him go out and seek a major league contract. If no one offers him one bring him back on a minor league contract knowing that he is the odds on favorite to be the 5th OF.

He's worth a minimum contract IMO. More than that is probably too much. There are other guys out there, but I don't mind Nix.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He's worth a minimum contract IMO. More than that is probably too much. There are other guys out there, but I don't mind Nix.
    Who are the other guys that could produce at a lesser cost?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Who are the other guys that could produce at a lesser cost?
    A homegrown one...Danny Dorn.

Pass for me. Call up Dorn.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    A homegrown one...Danny Dorn.

Pass for me. Call up Dorn.
    And when he fails? What then?

Dorn, fail?! You blaspheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

if all he will get is $600K-$1M then i am all for it.
    1.0 WAR in 2009
    1.4 WAR in 2010
    He's a solid bench outfielder who knows his role.

IMO a big reason the Reds are winning in 2010 is that their core bench guys (Nix, Heisey, Hanigan, Cairo & Janish) have all been solid. Their OPS+ stats range between 100 & 115 and all play solid to excellent defense. This is a HUGE upgrade from the recent days of whipping boys who shall remain nameless.

Jolbert Cabrera
    Norris Hopper
    Jason Ellison
    Buck Coats
    Todd Hollandsworth
    Quinton McCracken

He's a useful player, but all he's doing right now is taking a roster spot from somebody with greater potential and a brighter future. We have better alternatives.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He's a useful player, but all he's doing right now is taking a roster spot from somebody with greater potential and a brighter future. We have better alternatives.
    Who are they?

You sure don't offer him arbitration, nor do you occupy a spot on the 40 man roster for him until after the Rule 5 draft.

And I hate to say this, but there's a good chance that Dorn won't come up and immediately produce as well as Nix has. It took me a while to get to this point, but Nix is a solid bench guy and, as Will pointed out, putting together a good, major league bench has been a part of putting together a contending team. If you want to see how this aspect has changed, just look at your (camisa's) list of bench players of the past. Yes, Walt knows how to construct a team.

Good thread.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Nix is somewhat of a known commodity and has has been a nice player for the Reds during his tenure. The issue becomes is a 5th OF type worth $1M/year? The Reds don't have a known commodity right now that could guarantee them the same level of production. However they have several players who have a much higher upside and its probably worth a gamble. Could Frazier, Sapplet, or even Heisey step in produce at a Nix type level next season? Could they out produce Nix? I am hopeful that the Reds address the LF spot in this upcoming off season. Gomes as the every day starter in LF isn't the answer but would be a nice addition to the bench. If it were up to me I would roll the dice that the Reds could replace Nix production with an in house option and use the extra cash elsewhere.

I like the role he fills when healthy with this club.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?