Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rest Easy: Playoff success may not be out of reach!

Rest Easy: Playoff success may not be out of reach!

I get ESPN magazine as a part of having an Insider subscription. Got a nice little article in the latest magazine issue.

Apparently people put way more hype on this idea that you need to have momentum going into the playoffs when history shows that of the 20 teams in the wild card era that finished their last ten games 8-2 or better, only 2 (2005 White Sox and 98 Yanks) went on to win the WS. Now on the other side, 3 of 7 teams that finished w/ 3-7 record or worse in their last 10 games went on to win it all.

Some notables:
    2000 Yanks lost 15 of their final 18 and went on to win a WS.

2006 - The Tigers lost 15 of their final 26 games and ended up losing the division in the process, and the Cards who were 12-17 in the month of Sept. both met int he WS.

So apparently the best approach to the last month of the season is much like the first month of the season. Let those who need to shake rust off and sharpen their play do so, and let those that need rest to have their rest.

Was a really nice little article to help shake some of the doubts and worries off heading into Oct. Looks like Dusty seems to be following this approach to a degree and maybe we shouldn't worry so much.. Who knows?

Wish I could share the whole article, as it can explain and go into more detail than I could go into. But trying to keep the hopes high and alive for everyone!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rest Easy: Playoff success may not be out of reach!

Yes I am with you today. The mets just knocked off philly two in a row in their own stadium so they are beatable. For the last couple weeks I too have been in the "oh we will win the division but in the post season...." camp. but not anymore. We have the pitching, we have the bats and screw all this "we need to avoid philly" talk. Lets go. We will be the division champions, we do have a solid team, and I think we can do this. see you in the WS. I am no longer afraid of anyone. I am instead confident that our Reds can do this!!!

Turn Off Ads?