Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would be cool if GABP would have this

Re: Would be cool if GABP would have this

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    GABP can't face the city.

I don't think ballparks are allowed to face the western horizon, or something along those lines.....
    The most direct view of the city would have required it to face to the northwest, and that probably wouldn't be acceptable. The field in Houston comes close, though...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stad..._NSEW_NL.shtml

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I was out in left field for the game, so maybe that had something to do with it. Sitting about 10 rows behind me was Carlton from Fresh Prince. True story. He's put on a LOT of weight.
    Alfonso Ribeiro? He taught me how to breakdance.

YouTube - Breakin' and Poppin'
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

What's wrong with a view of the river?

I visited GABP for the first time last year, sat in three very different places for three games, and all three were good seats with excellent sightlines. I thought the park provided a very nice baseball experience. My only real complaint was that there was too much between-inning gobbledygook.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I don't have a problem with the view of the river either. Ideally you could work it like PNC so you have the river and downtown, but to do that they would have needed to build it in Kentucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by huber14 View Post
    I just saw this advertised on Sports Time Ohio and thought it was a awesome idea for generating money in the winter. I hope sometime the Reds copy this idea Check it out!
    When the baseball team can't attract fans add a lil winter wonderland.
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't have a problem with the view of the river either. Ideally you could work it like PNC so you have the river and downtown, but to do that they would have needed to build it in Kentucky.
    Just like the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    But it is at The Banks, or at least immediately across the street from it. Did you mean Broadway Commons? Broadway Commons wouldn't have offered views of the city either. Mt. Adams, yes. Downtown, no.
    I goofed up. I did mean Broadway Commons.

I don't find GABP special at all. It's a decent ballpark. It's a nice place to watch a game. But, I don't think there's much of a wow factor. I believe it could've been made better.

And, I still believe it looks cheap. Very cheap actually. I just can't stand the white poles they used. Or the stupid smoke stacks. Comparing GABP to Busch, PNC, Camden Yards, etc. it just doesn't stand up to them on appearance. They look sharp and classy while GABP doesn't. I know my view on the park isn't popular, but I stand by it. It's just an average stadium.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

The timing of a winter wonderland would have to be pretty precise. We don't seem to get long stretches of very cold winter weather any more. There would be a lot of slush and melting snowmen.

I liked the camping out on GABP's field in the summer better.

GABP is a perfectly fine ballpark. Not great as a piece of architecture, but what it does do is let the game on the field be the star. Which is how I think it should be.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It'd be cool if GABP didn't look so cheap, was located at The Banks, and gave you views of the city.
    Of course it would then be in a part of the city most want forget exists unless there was a ballpark there. Anyway I'm unimpressed with the Cincinnati 'skyline" and feel in an area as humid and muggy as Cincinnati down by the river gives you the best chance to breath.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Looks like a lot fun. I'd definitely do it.

The outfield view at GAB is unique in all of baseball, so I like it for that reason. The camera crews and directors frequently show scenes from the river and the green hills of Northern Kentucky in-between innings, and it's kinda cool.

As for the white poles, I think the architects tried to incorporate features of both Crosley and Riverfront in the design. I like the brick and wrought iron designs, better, though. GAB does seem to lack architectural flair.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Sometimes I see a picture of the park and it really does bring Crosley to mind. I like the park, but I think it could have had a little more classic design.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I goofed up. I did mean Broadway Commons.

I don't find GABP special at all. It's a decent ballpark. It's a nice place to watch a game. But, I don't think there's much of a wow factor. I believe it could've been made better.

And, I still believe it looks cheap. Very cheap actually. I just can't stand the white poles they used. Or the stupid smoke stacks. Comparing GABP to Busch, PNC, Camden Yards, etc. it just doesn't stand up to them on appearance. They look sharp and classy while GABP doesn't. I know my view on the park isn't popular, but I stand by it. It's just an average stadium.
    I think they obviously made some design decisions based on budget that didn't favor the aesthetic, but changes can be made over time to dress it up if they want. It's got good "bones".
    School's out. What did you expect?

The problem is once you go to other ballparks you realize how skimpy GABP is in comparison.

I like GABP honestly. Just don't think it's anywhere close to as good as PNC, Safeco, or Camden.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The problem is once you go to other ballparks you realize how skimpy GABP is in comparison.

I like GABP honestly. Just don't think it's anywhere close to as good as PNC, Safeco, or Camden.
    It blows Safeco away as far as a place to watch the game IMO. Safeco is much prettier though and has better amenities in and around it.

My favorite new park is AT&T in SF.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Comparing GABP to Busch, PNC, Camden Yards, etc. it just doesn't stand up to them on appearance. They look sharp and classy while GABP doesn't. I know my view on the park isn't popular, but I stand by it. It's just an average stadium.
    Brick stadiums were cool ten years ago. Now they're played out. IMO, the new Busch looks like a parody of a good baseball stadium. I liked the old stadium better.

GABP looks unique and feels like a real home stadium.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?