Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy of Game 7 of 1960 World Series

Copy of Game 7 of 1960 World Series

Found in Bing Crosby's wine cellar and to be aired on MLBN in the offseason.

He knew he would want to watch the game later — if his Pirates won — so he hired a company to record Game 7 by kinescope, an early relative of the DVR, filming off a television monitor. The five-reel set, found in December in Crosby’s home, is the only known complete copy of the game, in which Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski hit a game-ending home run to beat the Yankees, 10-9. It is considered one of the greatest games ever played.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/sp...y.html?_r=1&hp
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Copy of Game 7 of 1960 World Series

Now, that is awesome. I can't wait to see that.

Thanks, blumj. I'm going to have to "share" that. Look forward to seeing it.

What a great story, too, you'd think he could have gone to the game, but he was so nervous and superstitious about it that he couldn't even watch on tv and had to leave the country?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I still think it's strange to have someone get nervous over a Pirate game.

Then again, I guess I did this week.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

This is incredible. I know a lot of people who are going to be very happy about this. Thanks for sharing blumj.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Thanks for sharing that article. I'll be watching and recording it. Thanks to Bing too for having such foresight to keep old programming like this. Maybe they will find a copy of Game 5 of the 1972 NLCS? But Bing probably would have burned that tape since he was a Pirate fan.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Amazing story... never knew Crosby was part owner of team.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Amazing story... never knew Crosby was part owner of team.
    Yep, he and Hope (who owned a piece of the Indians) had some baseball fetishes post WW2 IIRC they were also kicking the Reds tires too.

The story is AWESOME, mostly because as it notes TV stations just reused and tossed stuff away back then, we're lucky folks like Lucille Ball were smart enough to film their episodes, most TV shows were live and like Mike TV in Willy Wonka, they just ended up as a bunch of particles in the air once the show was over.

In college I took extensive TV courses and have seen many a classic that was Kinescoped, not very quality, but history is not about quality now is it?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The story is AWESOME, mostly because as it notes TV stations just reused and tossed stuff away back then, we're lucky folks like Lucille Ball were smart enough to film their episodes, most TV shows were live and like Mike TV in Willy Wonka, they just ended up as a bunch of particles in the air once the show was over.
    We had a thread similar to this a few months ago. Someone wondered why there were no Reds games out there from the Crosley era. That's a big reason why.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

This is awesome. I'm getting to the point where I'm really wanting to embrace the history of the game. This will be a great experience to see.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Yep, he and Hope (who owned a piece of the Indians) had some baseball fetishes post WW2 IIRC they were also kicking the Reds tires too.
    Some dialogue from "The Road to Bali" movie (and the only "Road" picture filmed in color).

On the boat to Bali...Bing (George) has just finished singing a song to Dorothy (Lala) and talks about leaving her and going back to the US. They're topside... Bob (Harold) is down below counting some buried treasure...

Bing (George): I've been away a long, long time. I got to get back. Catch some ballgames, see how the Pirates are doing.
    Dorothy (Lala): You still have pirates in America?
    Bing (George): Yeah, but they're nothing to be afraid of, probably hiding in the cellar someplace. Bing (George): But its a fantastic place the USA, Lala. Just take any town. Take a town for instance, the garden spot of North America, the lush, picturesque Riviera of the Middle West...Toledo, Ohio.
    Dorothy (Lala): Toledo, Ohio, Toledo, Ohio. Oh, it sounds beautiful. Such a musical name.
    Bing (George): Oh, its a musical town. There's a jukebox in every bowling alley.
    Bing (George): Lala, will you go to America with me?

(Harold starts up the stairs to the deck and stops to listen in on the conversation.)

Dorothy (Lala): George!
    Bing (George): I mean marry me and go to America, of course.
    Dorothy (Lala): Oh, it would be wonderful. But what about Harold?
    Bing (George): Well, We could adopt him.
    Dorothy (Lala): Adopt him?
    Bing (George): Of course, we'd have to send him away to go to school.
    Dorothy (Lala): Its a little late for that, isn't it?
    Bing (George): Oh no baby, he has to go sometime, that boy...

(Harold has heard enough... and confronts George)

Bob (Harold): That's enough! Why you collapsible Como you! You and your Pirates...
    Bing (George): What do you want to do? Brag about the Cleveland Indians?
    Bob (Harold) At least they're in the major leagues!
    Bing (George): Go on, they throw underhanded.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

In college I took extensive TV courses and have seen many a classic that was Kinescoped, not very quality, but history is not about quality now is it?
    ...and it is also cool that Crosby still had the sense enough to have the original footage digitized to the DVD format in his waning years.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Crosby died in 1977 so I'm not sure he was the one to digitize his tapes.

But Crosby was very interested and involved in recording technology. He was an early investor in Ampex who developed the first commercial reel-to-reel recorder.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Crosby died in 1977 so I'm not sure he was the one to digitize his tapes.

But Crosby was very interested and involved in recording technology. He was an early investor in Ampex who developed the first commercial reel-to-reel recorder.
    I don't think they were digitized at all.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?