Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildcard getting interesting

Wildcard getting interesting

Atlanta's recent slump may end up being really good for the Reds. Or really bad. Right now the Reds are in a battle for the 2nd best record in the NL, and hopefully they can land that and all will be well.

If they don't get the 2nd record, though, and ugly scenario would be that the Braves get the wild card and the Reds have to play the Phillies in the NLDS (because I don't think a team can play another from their division in the first round). If the wild card teams come from the NL West, though, the the Phillies would then get the wild card team as a benefit of having the best record and the Central and West winners would play.

The way I see it, the best thing for the Reds would be to get the 2nd best record, have the Braves win the wild card, and the Reds would have home field for the first series against the Braves. If the Reds can't lock up the #2 spot, then I'd much rather have them play the west winner than the Phillies.

But on the other hand, if the Reds do get the #2 spot and the Braves slide continues, that would mean that the Braves fall would force the Reds to play the West winner rather than the Braves as a wild card team.

Bottom line is, I don't know who to root for in all of the other stretch games. If the Reds get the #2 spot, I want Atlanta to start winning again. If not I want them to keep losing.
    Sto Pro Veritate

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Wildcard getting interesting

This weekend we cheer for:
    Reds (Padres)...obvious reasons
    Cubs (Cards)...see above
    Nats (Braves)...I'm just cheering against anyone close
    Mets (Phils)...It's a long shot, but I'm still hoping for best overall record
    Rockies (Giants)...I'm cheering againt the team with the better record.

Does anyone disagree?
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Dunno...I might be pulling for the Braves. That's the tough one for me to call for my reasons above. Reds #2, then Braves. Reds #3, then Nats.
    Sto Pro Veritate

I really don't want to see the Rockies in the Postseason. But I don't want to see the Giants pitching staff either. Still, I think I root for the Giants.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Cheer for the Braves. It gives us the best opportunity for the 2nd best record and home field advantage due to them not being able to play Philly in the 1st round.
    TWITTER : @KOBasinger

The less time we spend on the West Coast, in particular CO, the better. I would prefer the Reds play ATL then go from there.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    The less time we spend on the West Coast, in particular CO, the better. I would prefer the Reds play ATL then go from there.
    Exactly what I'm thinking. This weekend series against SD is huge!!!!
    TWITTER : @KOBasinger

yes we need to beat SD have giants and rockie splitting and the braves winning. Philly is just on a rip-tear I do not see us catching them. So whatever puts us in #2 seed, and Atl. as wild card is good for us. We get homefield, shorter travel and the phillies can get beat around a bit traveling coast to coast before we beat ..sorry meet....no beat (lol) them. Phillies can not keep up this winning forever and if they have to travel then I think they will be in a good spot to be beat.

ah check that I am cheering for the rockies and we need to beat SD!! big series (oh billy billy billy ooooohhhhh billy baaloo)

i know no one wants to play the phillies in rd 1 but would it not be the best path to the WS since they wouold only have to beat them in a 5 game series than in a 7 game series.

I'm gonna break down this possible series with the Phillies.

2010 Season

Reds are 2-4 against the Phillies

-The Reds are 1-1 in games against Roy Halliday

-The Reds are 2-0 against Roy Oswalt this season, roughing him up in his last Houston start.

- Losses breakdown:
    June 29, The Reds comeback with the Joey Votto homerun but lose the game in extra innings.

July 8, The game is tied in the 9th inning but the Phillies go on to win 4-3

July 9, Bullpen blows a 7 run lead and Reds lose 9-7

July 10, Near perfect game and the game was scoreless going into the 10th

July 11, Reds shutout 1-0

The bottom line: The Reds could easily be 4-3 or 5-2 against the Phillies this year. The Phillies are much healthier now and playing better but the Reds can stay with these guys. I'm hoping that the Phillies are peaking too early. The Rockies did and they got swept three games in Arizona this week.. I guess only time will tell

i agree w/ the analysis but the phillies are peaking and the reds are running on fumes. i really would like them to win this division ASAP and start resting players every other day.

My question - Does reaching the NLCS make the season THAT MUCH MORE of a success?

I think a successful season for this organization was making the postseason. To me, losing in the DS or the CS aren't really that much different in terms of my measure of this team's achievement. The fact that we are in the postseason brings me joy. Making the World Series would be a significant achievement, but I'm just not sure about the NLCS.

I say that to say this. To reach the World Series, we're probably going to have to beat the Phillies. To me, our chances of doing that are better in a short series than in a long series. I could be wrong, but I think flukes are more apt to happen in a short series. No disrespect to our team, but that's what us beating Philly would be IMO.

Of course maybe the best scenario is to host San Francisco or Atlanta or San Diego and hope one of the teams from out West can knock off the Phillies and you can avoid them altogether. But to be perfectly honest, I don't see that happening. This team is playing too good right now and their pitching is way too strong.

I think this season is already a success, or will be when we lock up the Division. Of course the further they go the better. To be honest as long as the team is competitive in the playoffs I can't ask for more than that. By competitive I mean tight games, win a road game, not get blown out, not let the best pitcher shut us down, etc.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't want to play the Giants. They whooped up on us pretty badly.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?