Turn Off Ads?

Thread: slip slide and away

slip slide and away

ok so the division should be a lock 99.9% and a magic number of 3 with like 16 games left (8 for us to get wins and 8 for the cards to lose) but....the big picture is slipping away. We have slipped out of second seed as of today. SD and SF are battling it out flipping back and forth up and down by .5 games and leaving us in the dust as they go. The phillies are on an 11 game win streak. and disappearing over the horizion as they leave the rest of the league behind. meanwhile the Reds seem to be relaxing with their magic number of 3 and thinking 'we're fine. surely the cards will lose at least 3 or we will pick some up at home'
    I hope Dusty has a plan, Votto has some antibiotics and the Reds start playing the winning way they were playing, again. (remember the rallies, the come backs the extra inning wins the no matter what we will win this game attitude we had when we were running down then fighting off the cards? we need to get that back or there will be a city full of fans holding worthless scraps of paper that used to be postseason tickets as our Reds are eliminated in some far away land.
    I know the division is locked but what is the plan then? ok you caught it now what are you going to do?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: slip slide and away

I don't think the division is a lock, not until that magic number is zero. A lot are saying this team looks tired, that may very well be. The main problem IMHO, is these guys have been playing as if they already won the division, the last few weeks. Gotta blame the mgr. for this problem and if this is the case... Goodbye Dusty!

Rocks got hot too early. The Phils streak is due to come to a crashing halt - you have to wonder if they're hitting their hot streak just a tad too early as well. I'd rather the Reds get hot next month so I'm clinging to the optimism only a Red October can deliver.

By the way, I'm fairly certain it's "Slip Slidin' Away."
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah, I came on here to post my frustrations too. Reds are limping to the finish line in ugly fashion.

Look, I realize anything can happen once you get to the postseason. Our pitching, starting and bullpen, might get hot........and our offense might kick back into gear.........there is no way of telling. But it hasn't happened yet, and it certainly doesn't inspire confidence from us fans that this team is ready for primetime when they've beat up on bad teams and struggled against the type of teams they will meet in the postseason.

I think despite a winning season and hopefully winning their division, the fans are still cautious and unsure about this team at the moment. That is unfortunate, but "what have you done for me lately" is pretty much what matters anymore to most.

I'm happy they've posted their first winning season is over 10 years and hopefully win the division. But it's 162 games, and when you get there, you certainly don't want to lay an egg. This team looks like an egg-layer right now.

I hope I'm wrong.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Hey guys, if I remember correctly, we weren't playing too well the last month in 1990 and we all know how that ended. I think these teams are similar in their offensive depth. The major difference is the late inning bullpen, which is a big difference. This team's bullpen as a whole is better and if they get on a roll, they can be unhittable. Even the nasty boys had their control problems. I remember sweating when Randy Myers would come in, because he was known to walk a few.

If you look at the remaining schedule for both teams, all Cincy has to do is win one game in each of the next series to clinch, no matter what the St. Louis does. The birds have a four game series against the Rockies to end the season. They won't sweep them, more than likely it'll be a split. The Cubs no matter how pitiful there are, will battle the Cards tooth and nail because of hatred they have for the birds.

This team is going through a low point right now. My only fear is they don't clinch quick enoungh to take a few days "off" and get refocused. If they have to battle down to the wire it could "wear" them out as they arte going into the playoffs

The 1990 team started 16-1 (or something crazy like that) and then played .500 ball the rest of the season. I thought they played lackadaisical regular season baseball because they never felt pressured by another division team the rest of the way. The 2010 Reds got caught and passed by STL in August and then took it up a notch and left the Cards in their wake. And since then we've played lackadaisical baseball.

I think our biggest problem is the bullpen. And I think it's because they're used so much. We don't have one starting pitcher who can routinely get into the 7th or 8th inning, so our bullpen gets worked every game. And they haven't been getting the job done for awhile now. We get a quality start from a starter, take a lead late into the game, only to have it given up by the bullpen. It happened again last night. We don't have a playoff caliber bullpen right now and it's really hurting us. And I don't know if that's going to change in time for this team to peak at playoff time.

And offensively, without Joey Votto in the lineup, we aren't a playoff caliber offense either. I thought for sure he'd be in the lineup last night, for a huge series like that. Oh well.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Turn Off Ads?