Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technology's biggest myths

Technology's biggest myths

Expensive cables are better! Defragging speeds up your PC! Refilling ink cartridges ruins your printer! We put these and nine other claims to the test to find the truth behind tech's tallest tales.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38841700...h_and_gadgets/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Technology's biggest myths

We tested two pricey HDMI cables the Monster HD1000 ($150) and the AudioQuest Forest ($60) against a couple of bargain-basement cables from Blue Jeans Cable (the 5001A-G, $5) and Monoprice (the 28AWG, $3.04)...we ended up with all four cables in a dead heat...
    This one is a hot button with me, and even so-called "bargain" stores like Walmart are guilty. I don't know how monoprice can sell such quality stuff at such low prices, but I'm glad they do. Along with Lowe's, they're my favorite toy store.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    This one is a hot button with me, and even so-called "bargain" stores like Walmart are guilty. I don't know how monoprice can sell such quality stuff at such low prices, but I'm glad they do. Along with Lowe's, they're my favorite toy store.
    Monoprice is so inexpensive because they don't mark up their prices nearly as much as everyone else. They make up for it in low overhead and high volume. Considering you can make a functioning HDMI cable out of coat hangers, they can't be that expensive to manufacture.

And I love them for it.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/a...ter-cable-and/

Now, cable quality does come into play for analog signals. But in today's digital world, you just have to pass 1s and 0s.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Amazon also sells their own branded HDMI cables for really cheap. I think I got a 6' cable with shipping for like 6 bucks.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Amazon also sells their own branded HDMI cables for really cheap. I think I got a 6' cable with shipping for like 6 bucks.
    I bought a couple of them. Never had a problem with them. For ~$3 its well worth it. Usually I lump the order together to get free shipping ($25 total order).

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Digital signals don't care whether they travel down a 50-cent cable or a $300 cable, as long as there is a continuous path to the destination, unimpeded by interference or attenuation.
    /r/reds

The 2 times my PC caught a computer virus on the net was from a gardening web site and a marching band web site.

Defragging used to make a difference but higher performance disks and more sophisticated OS's rendered that moot.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The 2 times my PC caught a computer virus on the net was from a gardening web site and a marching band web site.

Defragging used to make a difference but higher performance disks and more sophisticated OS's rendered that moot.
    Makes a difference on XP regardless of service pack. And a lot of people still run XP.
    Suck it up cupcake.

That technology saves time and money is a myth. For instance, while computers may save time for tasks, they also create vast opportunities to waste time.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    That technology saves time and money is a myth. For instance, while computers may save time for tasks, they also create vast opportunities to waste time.
    Thats why all bosses should install web watcher on all computers in the office and your employees will never waste time on them again LOL...
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Thats why all bosses should install web watcher on all computers in the office and your employees will never waste time on them again LOL...
    I'd like to respond but......uh, gotta go.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Most bosses who do that will find that everyone in the office is violating the company's Acceptable Use Policy.

In all seriousness, Acceptable Use Policies and usage monitoring can eliminate the need for layoffs. Companies can just monitor any target employee's net usage for a couple of weeks, compile a list of AUP violations and have HR deliver them along with a pink slip for cause. Mrs. Unassisted has seen people vanish from her workplace for AUP violations, knowing full well that other colleagues of hers are also committing violations.
    /r/reds

In my first office job in the 90's, the first thing my co-worker in the cubicle next to me taught me, was how to go from playing solitaire to a work screen with one keystroke, in case the boss came around. Most valuable thing I learned there too.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Myth: Running your engine in idle when you've had to jump your battery recharges the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Myth: Running your engine in idle when you've had to jump your battery recharges the battery.
    I did not know that. So are you saying that recharging it requires a charger, or will driving it help where idling won't?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?