Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2010 - 11 Winter League thread

Re: 2010 - 11 Winter League thread

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Actually, his glove work is less than stellar, especially on balls hit over his head
    I was left with a similar impression (this is regarding Felix Perez) in the couple games I saw him play. I believe it was a ball in the gap that I thought he might have tracked down but didn't.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I was left with a similar impression (this is regarding Felix Perez) in the couple games I saw him play. I believe it was a ball in the gap that I thought he might have tracked down but didn't.
    That's concerning since he is the best LHH OF we have not named Dorn in the Upper minors.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Francisco tonight:

1 for 3 , HR, 2 BB (1 intentional), 1 K, he played 3B

Season line:

22 Games - 89 AB

.348/.408/.674 - 1.082

2 fielding errors

K/BB - 2.50

Sell high on JF - I'd think an AL team would be interested in him as a DH

Don't look now, but that BB rate is approaching respectability. I'll absolutely take 60 points of "extra" obp from a power bat like Francisco.

I think this also shows, in limited ABs, what is likely to happen if he plays (and hits) in the majors. Teams will pitch around him and he'll take the walk because nothing will be all that close.

Of course, he first has to play and hit in the majors. The jury is still out on that.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Sell high on JF - I'd think an AL team would be interested in him as a DH
    Whch AL team?

I don't see one out there willing to pay anything for Francisco as DH.

In fact, off the top of my head, I don't know of a team in the past ten years to trade for a young guy, then plug him in at DH.

Not one.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

JF went 2 for 5 with a double last night. 1 K

Sappelt is now playing in Venezuela

Sappelt with a 4 for 5 yesterday, putting him at .522 (12-23) in his first few games in VZ.

From Lynchburg to Carolina to Louisville to the AFL to VZ. What a year for Sappelt. Thing is, he hasn't hit the wall after all that moving around. Leads me to think this kid may have what it takes to be in the big leagues at some point in 2011.

Suffice it to say he has had a MONSTER 2010.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I wonder why he's playing in Venezuela? The guy has been playing ball since March without a significant break. He's had success at every level, so it's not like he has something to prove.

Can they actually be paying enough to make it financially worthwhile? I know he got $75,000 to sign 3 years ago, and they pay next to nothing in the minors.

I wonder why he's playing in Venezuela? The guy has been playing ball since March without a significant break. He's had success at every level, so it's not like he has something to prove.

Can they actually be paying enough to make it financially worthwhile? I know he got $75,000 to sign 3 years ago, and they pay next to nothing in the minors.
    My guess is that the Reds are covering his costs. He's doing it to advance his career -- I'm sure the Reds have told him this experience has the potential to quicken his ascent to the big club. (Which it will, if he continues to have success there and in AAA.)
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

If he hits incredibly well in Venezuela, Sappelt becomes a viable answer for LF, perhaps, as early as Spring Training. If the Reds could find a masher SS to deal for (sure, they're easy to find!), it'd be awesome.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

I don't think what anybody does in Venezuela is going to impact the big club in any way.

JF has walked among the mortals the last two games going 1 for 4 and 1 for 3. Both hits were just singles. There is a 2nd game tonight and there is no report on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If he hits incredibly well in Venezuela, Sappelt becomes a viable answer for LF, perhaps, as early as Spring Training. If the Reds could find a masher SS to deal for (sure, they're easy to find!), it'd be awesome.
    Right now as things stand the Reds don't have a viable leadoff hitter.

Sappelt in his 2 1/2 years in the Minors has had OBP's of .354 (2008) / .327 (2009) / .395 (2010).

Lets look at the little things. He has 12 Sac Bunts over 2 1/2 years. Which is pretty good from a leadoff guy. 9 Sac Flies shows he can get the ball in the air when needed. While only having GIDP 16 times in 1445 PA's. 1 in every 90 AB's.

His K rate is an exceptional 13.4% vs a below Avg 6.8% walk rate. (7.4% in 2010) But his hit tool grades out well with a .308 Career Batting Average which makes up for the lower walk rate...

Taking in account, with all these plus leadoff type numbers, his SLG % was near or over .500 in 2008 and 2010. So he has enough power to keep pitchers honest and provide a bat than can get runs across in a vary of ways when called upon.

While his baserunning leaves something to be desired, (72 SB - 40 CS in 2009 and 2010 combined) his speed can't be denied. (21 Triples in the last 2 years)

Supposedly plus D in CF (.993 FLD% in 2010 / .991 in 2009 - 1.000 in LF Career) but a below average arm (9 Assists in 2010 - 8 in 2009) that seems accurate at least, sounds like the perfect LF candidate to me.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

When the words Dave Sappelt go in through my ears or my eyes in this case, my mind processes the data and I hear the words "Norris Hopper" rattling around. Am I incorrect? If so, how do they differ?

When the words Dave Sappelt go in through my ears or my eyes in this case, my mind processes the data and I hear the words "Norris Hopper" rattling around. Am I incorrect? If so, how do they differ?
    Sappelt had 50+ extra base hits and a .902 SLG % in the minors last year. He's got pop.

Turn Off Ads?