Bucky Dent
    Rick Dempsey
    Kurt Bevacqua
    Darrell Porter
    Billy Hatcher
    Pat Borders
    Scott Brosius
    David Eckstein

These are players that just off the top of my head I can remember being difference makers in the post season.

Like PuffyPig and others have said, anything can happen in the playoffs.

Personally, I always just happy to have a contending team. I thoroughly enjoyed the late 80's when the Reds lead by Rose finished second year after year after year. Meaningful September baseball is all I ever ask for.
    I would add Brian Doyle of the Yankees in 1978.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Which Corner Are You In?

Personally I like the idea that our players are getting loads of rest. I won't mind them going up against the Phillies. This team is competitive regardless of competition. Yes there's a chance they'll be out-classed, but I don't think that's going to happen. Do I think they'll win in a 5-game series? Don't know.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    For me, baseball is about the ride. The downs are as important as the ups. I occasionally get really bummed out by a "big loss" like the 3-run homer off Bailey by Molina a few weeks ago. And last night too. But ... it's part of the process.

For those of us who remember, losing the series in 1972 made winning in 1975 all the sweeter.

Losing in September doesn't make this season bad. Look at it this way, if both the Reds and Cards win today, the Reds have a chance to clinch at home.

Playoffs? Satisfied to get there? Not really. I really WANT them to win it all. I really DON'T want them to get blown out in the first round. But, I'll take it one game at a time. Whatever happens, it will be great to get there.
    Well said, Sandy. Life is a train ride and all that. And baseball is life.

The only way I come out of this season happy is when the Reds win the World Series.

If they lose in the playoffs, I'll be happier (as in degrees of feeling better about the Reds) than I was at the beginning of the year and pleased with making the post-season and look forward to 2011. But I won't be content with what happened and I'll want more.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've been very frustrated with the way the Reds have played lately, but at the same time I'm enjoying this. It's been a great season. I've waited a long time for this. There were times when I thought I would never see the Reds play in the playoffs, now the time has finally come. I hope this is the first of many great seasons to come for the Reds.
    Its kinda funny because it seems like this magic number has been stagnant for the better half of September. But when you take a second to realize that the Reds have a 6.5 game lead with a week left in the season. I think Dusty is doing a good job of getting players rested, giving alot of players PT, and realizing its all about going into the post season fresh.

I think a lot of Reds fans are waiting for the other shoe to fall but it wasn't going to. Its all about preparing for the post season. Most of us fans wanted the Reds to steam roll in to the playoffs but after one more win or Cards loss, it will be all gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I would add Brian Doyle of the Yankees in 1978.
    Thank you. I was trying think of him. The playoffs and World Series are full of people who had short and not so great careers that had that 15 minutes of fame.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Reds go out quick in the playoffs but if they won it all it would surprise me less. Anything and everything can happen in post season baseball. Of all the professional sports its the best post season because many times the bit player will make the biggest difference for the team that wins it all.
    Enjoy the moment because you never know when it may come this way again.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

It will be nice to be able to wear my Reds cap with relevance in October! People who know me have basically said, "You are the true fan. You wear the cap when they "stink," as well!"

This seems like the most appropriate place to put this.

Reds fans love their Reds, the best way they know. Every silver lining has its cloud.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ans/index.html

To any pessimists on RZ, please remember how much less fun it was to lose close to 100 games earlier in the decade. I am 23 years old and have never gotten to see the team that I have loved ever since I can remember (the 1995 playoffs are incredibly distant by now), with my earliest Reds memory being yelling for Eric Davis to look up at me in the stands of Riverfront Stadium.

Love this team, love this season. I know the players and coaches probably wouldn't ask for anything more.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    This seems like the most appropriate place to put this.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ans/index.html

To any pessimists on RZ, please remember how much less fun it was to lose close to 100 games earlier in the decade. I am 23 years old and have never gotten to see the team that I have loved ever since I can remember (the 1995 playoffs are incredibly distant by now), with my earliest Reds memory being yelling for Eric Davis to look up at me in the stands of Riverfront Stadium.

Love this team, love this season. I know the players and coaches probably wouldn't ask for anything more.

Man, after reading that article, I'm feeling bad that I ever started this thread.

I love the Reds as much as I cam love any sports franchise, and when baseball is mentioned, I can't even ponder liking any other team. I've liked certain players from other teams, but never another team as a whole.

This Reds team is special. If I bring out bitternes that was once tossed around on here by saying this, I apologize, but over the last few years, especially those where we had Dunn and Junior on the same team, it seemed like such a negative vibe going around that it almost felt uncomfortable to even watch them play on television.

When I watch this team play now, I see a team in which EVERY player respects and values the talents that each brings to the table.

A good case in point was a couple of weeks back when Cordero blew the save against the Pirates and the Reds ended up losing on the Sunday of that series. I looked in and saw Brandon Phillips consoling Cordero.

So, yes, "on paper" the Reds may not be able to compete with Philadelphia, Texas, New York, or Tampa, but when it comes down to playing with heart and soul, I think this team has enough to win the World Series.
    Last edited by dman; 09-27-2010 at 02:32 PM.

I don't understand why there has to be a corner. Why can't we be happy that the losing has stopped while still feeling like they are way outclassed in the post-season and wishing that they would have done more at the deadline to even the score? Why can't I be excited about the nucleus and hopeful for the future while also wondering if this might be the only chance they'll get to win a championship? Say all you want about the young talent (and I think the Reds are in for a competitive period), but the Reds have gotten major contributions from guys like Rolen, Hernandez, Phillips, Arroyo and Rhodes. Its doubtful that they'll be as good in the future or around very long. Its possible that 2010 is as good as it gets. I've enjoyed the heck out of it, but why can't I feel like the Reds may be passing on an opportunity because they didn't make a move to capitalize on it.

I'm thrilled with 2010, but now that we're in it, I want the team to win it and I don't take it for granted that they'll be back. Lots of teams that have a good core of young players never get that steady year to year improvement culminating in a championship that so many on this board seem to be counting on. For a fairly large percentage of the major cogs on this team, 2010 isn't the beginning and may just be one last hurrah.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-27-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

This may well be the best this team ever gets, but I don't think so. I think they'll go into this playoff gauntlet with a 'nothing to lose' attitude and if this machine fires on all cylinders look out! They can beat anyone if each player is playing at their best. Get ready to witness history.

Now, if they play like they've been playing of late it will be a nice experience for the young players and a good way to weed out the pretenders from the studs in the rotation. Not to mention the extra cash for next year's payroll. Even if we lose we win!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?