Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your the GM

Your the GM

What contract do you offer J. Votto in the offseason?
    Do you pick up the option on Bronson?
    What do you do with Gomes?
    What is your No. 1 need fill in the offseason?
    What do you do with Chapman?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your the GM

I offer him a fair contract, the man deserves to be paid and locked up for a while.
    Without a doubt I pick up Bronson's option
    On the fence with Gomes. Either him or Nix will be back though.
    The plan with Chapman has always been for him to be a starter, I see no reason why I would change that.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post

6 years 60 mill, see if he bites (he prolly wont but its worth a shot)

I personally would but i wouldnt freak out if they didnt.

If he has a option buy it out, if no option then see ya later.

Shortstop

put him back as a starter. to much money invested in him for him to be a reliever.

Take a chance on a multiyear deal in the $10MM per for 5 years range. More up front to cover his lower earning arb years.
    Yes. What else is out there for a one year rental that would have similar production.
    Re-up him for $1.75MM. Anyone else out there with better potential at that price?
    Outfield depth.
    Teach him to throw an effective change-up. 85 mph is some pitcher's fastball. Imagine dropping 20 mph from one pitch to the next.

Votto will get around $30 mil over 4 years

Pick up Arroyo's contract if answer to 4 does not work out

Pick up Gomes' option

#1 Need - ACE - Offer Seattle Yonder, Phillips & Matt Maloney for King Felix

Chapman? - stays in the bullpen one more year

First you offer Joey whatever it takes.
    Then you pick up Bronson's option.
    Then you tell Jonny Gomes he's no longer needed.
    Then you fill the biggest problem, outfield depth with Joey Votto and his massive contract. This makes Yonder Alonso the starting first baseman for the Cincinatti Reds.
    Finally you work Chapman back into being a starter this fall, and he'll eventually start in Louisville next year.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chettt View Post
    Votto will get around $30 mil over 4 years

Pick up Arroyo's contract if answer to 4 does not work out

Pick up Gomes' option

#1 Need - ACE - Offer Seattle Yonder, Phillips & Matt Maloney for King Felix

Chapman? - stays in the bullpen one more year
    Good post.

1. Not sure how much he'll get. The know-it-alls on here will argue with any guess you make. So yes, sign him long term if you can, and do it now.
    2. Agreed. Pick up Arroyo's option if you can't trade or sign an ace #1 starter.
    3. If you can unload both Cordero ($12.5M - '11) and Phillips ($11M) in the offseason, then pick up Arroyo's option too. But it won't happen.
    4. I love Gomes attitude, and what he brings as a teammate. But I'm not so sure Heisey couldn't bring as much at the plate and is definitely an improvement in the outfield. If you decide to start Heisey but bring Gomes back, you know Dusty will be sticking Gomes out there all the time anyway.
    5. I've been pushing to trade for Felix since early July. Seattle is in rebuilding mode and Felix won't be helping them anytime soon. And he eventually makes upwards of $20M per season. Can we afford it? For a little while, maybe.
    6. I'm in the minority. I keep Chapman in the bullpen and use him as a closer at times. Alot of eventual starters spent a few years in the bullpen. And we're loaded at starter - Bailey, Wood, Leake, Cueto, Volquez, and possibly Arroyo and/or a #1 starter that we'd trade for. Chapman's time will come. I just think it can wait for now.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    First you offer Joey whatever it takes.
    Then you pick up Bronson's option.
    Then you tell Jonny Gomes he's no longer needed.
    Then you fill the biggest problem, outfield depth with Joey Votto and his massive contract. This makes Yonder Alonso the starting first baseman for the Cincinatti Reds.
    Finally you work Chapman back into being a starter this fall, and he'll eventually start in Louisville next year.
    Why would you move your MVP to LF?

Lock up Votto
    Sign Arroyo
    Can't afford Gomes - congratulate Heisey on the starting LF job
    Try to teach Chapman to start - we know he can relieve
    #1 priority is outfield depth but not at Gomes price. Somebody like Bloomquist. Is there a Miguel Cairo who can play outfield? Maybe it's Sappelt?

"You're the GM"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    "You're the GM"
    But why would you move your MVP to LF? He can't play the outfield, he is finally learning how to play first, why screw with that? Wouldn't it be easier just to go sign a LF?

But why would you move your MVP to LF? He can't play the outfield, he is finally learning how to play first, why screw with that? Wouldn't it be easier just to go sign a LF?
    That ship has sailed. Votto needs to stay at 1B. He's turned into a plus-defender at 1st, is comfortable there, and is putting up MVP numbers. That needs to be left alone.

Like I said this last off-season, there's absolutely no reason, whatsoever, to sign an Outfielder and add him to the team.

The internal options are unlimited and all positive options.

I think Heisey, Stubbs and Bruce should all get 600+ AB's next season. If there's injuries to any of them, then we have Balentien, Danny Dorn, Alonso, and a half a dozen other choices to choose from.

I'd package Alonso in a deal this Winter along with our abundance of pitching to try to obtain a Top-10 Starting Pitcher. I'd sell the farm to get Felix Hernandez. (after posting this I read the other posts on this thread....I see others feel the same way about Hernandez)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-27-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Good post.

1. Not sure how much he'll get. The know-it-alls on here will argue with any guess you make. So yes, sign him long term if you can, and do it now.
    2. Agreed. Pick up Arroyo's option if you can't trade or sign an ace #1 starter.
    3. If you can unload both Cordero ($12.5M - '11) and Phillips ($11M) in the offseason, then pick up Arroyo's option too. But it won't happen.
    4. I love Gomes attitude, and what he brings as a teammate. But I'm not so sure Heisey couldn't bring as much at the plate and is definitely an improvement in the outfield. If you decide to start Heisey but bring Gomes back, you know Dusty will be sticking Gomes out there all the time anyway.
    5. I've been pushing to trade for Felix since early July. Seattle is in rebuilding mode and Felix won't be helping them anytime soon. And he eventually makes upwards of $20M per season. Can we afford it? For a little while, maybe.
    6. I'm in the minority. I keep Chapman in the bullpen and use him as a closer at times. Alot of eventual starters spent a few years in the bullpen. And we're loaded at starter - Bailey, Wood, Leake, Cueto, Volquez, and possibly Arroyo and/or a #1 starter that we'd trade for. Chapman's time will come. I just think it can wait for now.
    I like the thinking on Brandon Phillips. An $11 million sub .800 OPS player is not in the plans. As for the rest:

1. Yes, locking up Votto is a definite move. Well worth the contract IMO.
    2. I have a little bit more difficulty with this one. The key for me is how much difference is there between Arroyo's expected production next season and that of Mike Leake, Homer Bailey or Edinson Volquez? Is it enough to justify a difference in salaries? To me, the answer is no - but, I might exercise the option and then trade him to fill another need. It's not that Arroyo at $11mil is terribly overpriced, just could be used to fill the LF void. Same with Brandon Phillips. Could his production be replaced by say Valaika or Todd Frazier much cheaper?
    3. Drop Gomes. Again, production could be replaced cheaper.
    4. Set yourself up for a long run with the core players financially.
    5. Chapman is part of the long term future as a starter. Leave him there.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Why would you move your MVP to LF?
    We've all had this debate many times before. Some people feel he should move, some feel he shouldn't. It's clearly much safer to keep him at 1st, but why not take a risk and try to strike gold with Alonso?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

While I agree about not bringing Gomes back, I disagree about him being expensive. He comes very cheap for a veteran, at $1.8M next season, or is it $1.2M? Either way, it's very cheap.

But I also agree that Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Dorn, Balentein can give you the same production.

As much as I like Gomes influence in the clubhouse and steadiness as a teammate, I think his stats are inflated by one month or month in a half of a hot tear, and the rest of the time, he has been mediocre with some really bad moments in the field defensively.

Really wish we could unload Coco and Phillips. Harang and Lincoln come off the books too.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?