Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your the GM

Re: Your the GM

I really don't see why you would want to get rid of Phillips. I get that he's expensive, but I think this team, both offensively and defensively would look much worse without him. Maybe I just really love watching him play, but I just do not want to see him go. Who is going to play second when he's gone?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I really don't see why you would want to get rid of Phillips. I get that he's expensive, but I think this team, both offensively and defensively would look much worse without him. Maybe I just really love watching him play, but I just do not want to see him go. Who is going to play second when he's gone?
    Get him to take a Rolen-like discount and maybe I'll think about it.

Not really happy about paying Brandon $11M per season when we're a small market team.

As far as 2nd Base?

Valaika should be the starter there for the next 4 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    As far as 2nd Base?

Valaika should be the starter there for the next 4 seasons.
    trade brandon ?

BAKER12

who will be the manager next year? will all the coaches stay? will Spy or Price get a managing job? lots of interesting decisions for this team

The Reds will have to figure out their starting pitching. With Leake returning plus the 5 who are starting right now, plus Chapman at mid-season potentially joining the rotation, that is 7 guys. Plus Lecure and Maloney as insurance. They could trade Maloney for a prospect.

Don't look for the Reds to make too many changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ol'Sparky View Post
    trade brandon ?
    Yes.

---------------------------------

Brandon Phillips 2B

4 years/$27M (2008-11), plus 2012 club option

re-signed by Cincinnati 2/15/08 (avoided arbitration, $4.2M-$2.7M)
    $0.75M signing bonus
    08:$2.75M, 09:$4.75M, 10:$6.75M, 11:$11M, 12:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
    escalators based on awards may bring total package to $43.25M (2008 Gold Glove increases 2009 salary by $0.25M to $5M)
    if traded, 2012 club option becomes mutual option

1 year/$0.4075M (2007)

renewed by Cincinnati 3/07 (split contract paying $196,200 in minors)

1 year (2006)
    renewed by Cleveland 3/06

acquired by Cincinnati in trade from Cleveland after being DFA 4/06

1 year/$0.3168M (2005)
    re-signed 2/05
    split contract paying $162,000 in minors

1 year/$0.3009M (2003) 3/03
    agent: Levinson brothers

ML service: 5.022

--------------------------------------------------

We may have to pay some of the '11 and/or '12 salary, but certainly one of the teams with a higher payroll can use him. If we have to toss in a prospect so that we don't have to pay as much of the salary, then whatever works. But, it's time to pass the torch to Valaika and use the savings gained at the 2nd Base position in other areas.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-28-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    What contract do you offer J. Votto in the offseason?
    Do you pick up the option on Bronson?
    What do you do with Gomes?
    What is your No. 1 need fill in the offseason?
    What do you do with Chapman?
    1. Well, Ryan Howard won $10 mil in his first arbitration year two years ago so I'm not sure why some think Votto would get less, much less sign long term for $10m/per. The player is accepting a little bit less now for the security, not a lot less. 5 years/$70mil (10m/12m/14m/16m/18m) might get it done but might also be a bit low.

2. Bronson returns. Whether he would perform to his contract is somewhat irrelevant. He will give us 200+ innings and a team with young arms needs at least one surefire innings eater. Besides, I like Arroyo in his walk year. He's young enough to garner one more big contract and he will be motivated.

3. Gomes needs to go. I don't mind him as a power bat off the bench or in a platoon against lefties but I'm afraid Dusty would give him 400+ AB.

4. My #1 need for 2011 would probably be a true ace. Easier said than done, but this club is in position to make a 3-5 year run and the only thing the Reds don't have that the other legit contenders do is a true ace. We may already have a true ace, but I'd rather not wait on potetial to develop during this window of opportunity.

5. For my club, Chapman is a starter until he's proven otherwise. While I like the idea of him entering games in pressure/strikeout situations, I feel the Reds have to give him every opportunity to be a #1 guy. The real question should be, at what level of success or failure as a starter would Chapman be more worthwhile out of the pen?

Wow, Getting Felix Hernandez (possibly the best pitcher in the game who is only 24). Putting Votto in left field. I love these threads.

Seattle has plenty of money to pay Hernandez, and they want to win (they just haven't been good at recently). They are not looking to cut payroll, especially by dealing away the probable AL Cy Young winner who is still only 24.

Votto is going nowhere. He plays first, and he will continue to play first.

As for what I do....

1) Offer Votto a 6 year deal around $90 million (maybe start out a bit lower).
    2) Yes, sign Arroyo. Only 1 year. Nothing long term offered. Of course I don't know where the salary cap for the team is at, so if he is not signed I would understand. It is a business after all.
    3) I would let Gomes walk.
    4) LF. I know some people like Heisey, but I don't trust him to hit well at all, especially for LF. I would look for a temporary solution. There are some older free agents out there (like Magglio Ordonez) who can still play even if they are a little fragile. Won't cost a ton, and will sign short term deals.
    5) Starter. He needs to develop his change up. The starting rotation will be pretty full, but he should be given a shot. If he doesn't quite make it, I would still keep him starting and send him to the minors. Relief is only a part time gig right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Brandon Phillips is the FIRST one that I would trade. His selective hustle got old a LONG time ago. Then, he runs his mouth & can't back it up on the field. The sooner he goes the better!

What contract do you offer J. Votto in the offseason?
    I don't have a feel for the exact numbers, but I do my darnedest to lock him up.

Do you pick up the option on Bronson?
    Absolutely, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking about trading him at some point.

What do you do with Gomes?
    I like Gomer, but I think his time in Cincy is done.

What is your No. 1 need fill in the offseason?
    Am I allowed pipe dreams here? Carl Crawford.

What do you do with Chapman?
    Send him to winter ball and start stretching him out to be a starter again.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Arroyo is needed until some of the others get more seasoning. For just one year, $12MM is not that much for stability in the rotation.

Gomes is only a $1.75MM option. Not bad for what he gives the team. I think he will be back with that low salary.

Phillips is not going anywhere unless the Reds are willing to pay part of his contract. He has decent numbers, but not what he is getting paid for.

Chapman needs to develop another pitch before he can be a starter in the majors. Even a 105 MPH fastball can be hit when that's all you're bringing. That should be the off season and spring training goal.

Votto at $10MM average over the remainder of his arb years and a couple more should be enough. Howard got his contract before all the market collapse plus he was a ROY, MVP and silver slugger by that time. Votto may be the MVP this season which will help his cause. Most of what he has going against him is his first time arb and not quite enough history yet. If he wants to take a chance, he could go one year at a time thru his arb years to get maximum return if he keeps his numbers up. Potential injury causing him to miss significant time or a downturn of stats could hurt him if he doesn't cash in up front. I think $50MM over 5 years would be a good contract. On the end, he will be in his early 30's and if the numbers are still there, the next contract could be a lot more lucrative.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes.

---------------------------------

Brandon Phillips 2B

re-signed by Cincinnati 2/15/08 (avoided arbitration, $4.2M-$2.7M)
    $0.75M signing bonus
    08:$2.75M, 09:$4.75M, 10:$6.75M, 11:$11M, 12:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
    escalators based on awards may bring total package to $43.25M (2008 Gold Glove increases 2009 salary by $0.25M to $5M)
    if traded, 2012 club option becomes mutual option

1 year/$0.4075M (2007)

renewed by Cincinnati 3/07 (split contract paying $196,200 in minors)

1 year (2006)
    renewed by Cleveland 3/06

acquired by Cincinnati in trade from Cleveland after being DFA 4/06

1 year/$0.3168M (2005)
    re-signed 2/05
    split contract paying $162,000 in minors

1 year/$0.3009M (2003) 3/03
    agent: Levinson brothers

ML service: 5.022

--------------------------------------------------

We may have to pay some of the '11 and/or '12 salary, but certainly one of the teams with a higher payroll can use him. If we have to toss in a prospect so that we don't have to pay as much of the salary, then whatever works. But, it's time to pass the torch to Valaika and use the savings gained at the 2nd Base position in other areas.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I'm sorry but, Gold Glove second basemen do not fall out of trees. I keep Brandon, till he is on the wrong side of 30 then if he doesn't want to resign for a reasonable amount, then I let him walk.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?