Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pujols would accept trade

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Pujols would accept trade

Yep. Ain't gonna happen. We'll have to put up with him for years.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Yep. Ain't gonna happen. We'll have to put up with him for years.
    It might not be the worst thing though.

Ryan Howard got $25M in Philly so you can bet Albert will get no less than $30M. They've already got Holliday locked up at around $17M/yr. That would be almost 50 million dollars of payroll per year, on 2 players.

I say let them. We've used that model before. We locked up an aging superstar as well as an even older Barry Larkin back at the beginning of the Lost Decade, to contracts that consumed a great deal of the team's total payroll.

I say let them try The 2001-2005ish Reds business model. Give it a whirl, Redbirds.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

"So Fla Red"

He'll stay in STL for sure, but the Marlins will be under pressure to counter the Big 3 SuperStars and of course the Fins to maintain any kind of relevance in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Name a player who significantly sacrifices to meet the above standard.
    My comment was tongue-in-cheek.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    However, the prospect of him staying in St. Louis on a ~30M/yr deal is intriguing as well. They've got 11.875 million wrapped up in KYLE LOHSE for each of the next two years, and Matt Holliday makes a ton of money as well. It might be fun to watch them really handcuff themselves on the payroll front. Good Lord knows, we've been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It might not be the worst thing though.

Ryan Howard got $25M in Philly so you can bet Albert will get no less than $30M. They've already got Holliday locked up at around $17M/yr. That would be almost 50 million dollars of payroll per year, on 2 players.

I say let them. We've used that model before. We locked up an aging superstar as well as an even older Barry Larkin back at the beginning of the Lost Decade, to contracts that consumed a great deal of the team's total payroll.

I say let them try The 2001-2005ish Reds business model. Give it a whirl, Redbirds.
    I understand your point. Too much money committed to few players can be trouble. Hopefully that will be the case with the Cards.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Why would he want to go to Houston? I'm not sure I understand that.

Also, I'm skeptical of the Marlins sinking in that kind of money to take on a contract like that, new stadium or not.

NYY don't make much sense. They have Tex lined up for years. NYM would be interesting as they have the resources. They do have Ike Davis, but I'm sure they would happily unload him if it meant getting Pujols.

Personally, I think Albert stays and he's just trying to increase awareness and urgency to his contract situation since the offseason for the Cards is almost here and he wants his option year to be bought out for more $$$. Fine by me!
    Oxilion hit the nail on the head. Latino communities. Houston's got a HUGE one. Same with LA and Miami. Quite possibly the 3 biggest ones in the US (at least featuring a MLB club)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Marlins? I know it's Miami but he's not using very good business sense there.

He'll be a Cardinal for life, and if he isn't it's another ugly part of sports rearing it's head.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

He'll be a Cardinal for life, and if he isn't it's another ugly part of sports rearing it's head.

Maybe he wants to hang around LeBron.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'd love to see him go to the Angels.
    I understand the sentiment, but .....

I remember loving to watch Jack Clark hit. He slashed at everything and if he didn't pull it....well, he pulled everything.

I love watching Albert hit. I may hate the results, but he is fun to watch. As much as I would like for him to not hit off the reds, I would hate for him to be out of the league where I would only see him every couple of years.

Damn. I'm starting to sound like George Grande.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

How's it not good business sense to go to the place that would save him the most in taxes? That seems like great business sense.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Oxilion hit the nail on the head. Latino communities. Houston's got a HUGE one. Same with LA and Miami. Quite possibly the 3 biggest ones in the US (at least featuring a MLB club)
    Add in that park favors RH power.

Texas is becoming quite popular for the wealthy to take up residence due to no state income tax.
    Suck it up cupcake.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I could see the Marlins being a major darkhorse candidate for a number of reasons:

1. The hispanic influence, as noted in the thread. Would be a major draw not only for Albert, but also a high profile Latin-American player playing in Miami.

2. Competition with the other pro and college teams. The Dolphins are always going to be relevant in Miami, even if they are losing. Add in LeBron/Bosh/Wade as well as college football reigning supreme in the sunshine state, and the Marlins will have to do something to keep from ending up on the back of the sports page.

3. New stadium opening soon. Having a franchise MLB player to help sell tickets wouldn't be a bad thing. Reminds me of when the Phillies signed Jim Thome in his prime before they moved to CBB.

4. The Marlins could put together an attractive trade package, probably better than any team that would likely pursue Albert. Any trade would likely have to start with Mike Stanton IMO, although the Marlins could deal HanRam if they wanted to give him a change of scenery. Stanton isn't going to make St Louis fans forget about dealing Pujols, but it would be a nice start to a rebuilding process.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I realize that it could benefit the Reds to see Pujols leave the division (unless, as some have speculated, the signing of Pujols to a huge deal cripples the Cards finanically) but I actually hope he stays in St. Louis. I generally like to see a great player stay in one city for his career. I hope Derek Jeter stays a Yankee. I wish Jim Thome had stayed an Indian. I'm glad Barry Larkin was a Red his entire playing career.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?