Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Car Advice Needed

Car Advice Needed

So I have found myself shopping for a different car. My searches have brought me to the 2000 Ford Mustang. The one I am currently looking at is a 2000 and has under 100,000 miles and a V6. It also has a manual transmission. Has anybody had experience with this year of the Mustang that they could share?

I am looking mainly for driveability. I want a smooth ride, and no excessive engine noise. However the Mustang's performance also is a factor in my decision. Any advice would be appreciated.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Car Advice Needed

My wife owned a 2000 Mustang with a V6 and automatic transmission. It was peppy enough, and comfortable enough. It was a little loud for a V6. Also, we had to load 70 pounds of sand bags in the trunk every winter to make the car drivable on slick roads. That was a major pain.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    My wife owned a 2000 Mustang with a V6 and automatic transmission. It was peppy enough, and comfortable enough. It was a little loud for a V6. Also, we had to load 70 pounds of sand bags in the trunk every winter to make the car drivable on slick roads. That was a major pain.
    This.

I wouldn't buy a Mustang before winter. It would be a pain.

Shop around for something else. What's in your price range? I may be able to help you out.

Here's a car to avoid: Oldsmobile Alero, any year.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I owned several Monte Carlos that were right around model year 2000. They are front wheel drive and would be better suited for snow or ice conditions.

I enjoyed both cars quite a bit, they had the 3.4 but you could get the SS version with the 3.8. There are many of them out there. Might be worth looking into.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I owned several Monte Carlos that were right around model year 2000. They are front wheel drive and would be better suited for snow or ice conditions.

I enjoyed both cars quite a bit, they had the 3.4 but you could get the SS version with the 3.8. There are many of them out there. Might be worth looking into.
    My next car I plan on getting is a Monte Carlo SS or Impala SS. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Here's a car to avoid: Oldsmobile Alero, any year.
    Guess what kind of car I have? Yep, an Oldsmobile Alero. And every piece of electronics in that car has gone bad.

My budget is around $5,000.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Guess what kind of car I have? Yep, an Oldsmobile Alero. And every piece of electronics in that car has gone bad.
    I feel your pain.

I dropped $900 to fix a cracked exhaust manifold that the Olds dealer had previously "guaranteed" was fixed. I decided to sell the car a month later, so I parked it in the street. After a week of not being garaged, ALL the glue that was holding down the upholstery on the doors and dashboard melted, so every single section of upholstery bubbled up and buckled. Somehow, I was still able to sell the car for a decent price.

I'm spending my free time learning stickshift so that I can test drive it Saturday. I have seen it in person and rather like it. I just want a car that is a bit edgy, though something that is under five thousand, and is somewhat economical.
    -LTlabner

Stick shift Mustangs are indeed fun to drive. I bought a new one about 20 yrs ago. The problem as has been mentioned is winter driving. In my own experience I would only own another one if I had another car to drive in the winter or if I lived in a warmer climate

Well my current Alero is also terrible in the Winter, though it's FWD. I would think that adding weight in the trunk would alleviate some of this problem and atleast make it as good at handling in the Winter as the Alero.
    -LTlabner

My dad owns a 2000 mustang, and hasn't had any major problems with it. Just basic maintainence stuff. It does run a bit rough for my taste, but then again, his has well over 100k. I know he said the radio recently quit working, though he thinks its just a loose wiring harness as it works occasionally.

I will also agree that it is terrible to drive in the snow. He handles it fine, but the first time I drove it in the snow, I hit the gas too hard and did a perfect 360, and kept driving. After the fact it was kinda fun, but during, not so much. Especially considering it was less than a year old at the time.

I would say if you drive it, and like it and it runs well, then check out and make sure everything operates inside. If all checks out, go for it!

I would be careful with that Mustang. The rear wheel drive makes it difficult to drive in both the snow and rain. You may want something edgy but that comes along with a higher car insurance payment.

Mustangs are nice cars but they do have some downfalls to them. They are considered a "sport" car and have a following so their value is going to be a little inflated. Along the lines of being a "sport" car their repair bill is going to be higher, both parts and labor. I would be a little wary of a 10 year old car with close to 100,000 miles, you should be able to find something a little newer and more reliable for a little cheaper. Also take into consideration that your gas mileage isn't going to be near as good. Some cars you will be able to get in the mid 20's MPG while the mustang you will be lucky to get 20 MPG.

As for performance I have a newer Fusion with a 4 cylinder manual transmission. It has got me everywhere I needed to go performance wise. I am not a big car guy but all a V6 or V8 is going to do is get you to a higher speed and faster. And those speeding tickets aren't fun to pay.

Turn Off Ads?