Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Want Philly!!!!!

I Want Philly!!!!!

You know what, call me the biggest idiot on this board, and by gosh I think that would be accurate, but I want the Phillies in the first round. I think the Reds could go up there and win. Yes I know the Reds lost 4 in a row up there. In reality they could have went 1-3 or 2-2 up there. We all know that comeback was a fluke against Leake. Bottom line is, that won't matter.

Here are some of my reasons why:

-The Phillies are prone to going into big offensive slumps. Sure they are whipping up on the NL East pitchers they have seen a thousand times right now. Remember that one week span they went on in May with scoring like 1 or 2 runs.

- The Reds are prone to go into big offensive bursts. If this happened the same time as a Philly slump it would outstanding.

- The Reds have hit Oswalt well this season.

- The Reds are 1-1 against Roy Halliday

- I like the Reds chances more in a 5 game series against the Phillies than a 7 game series.

- The Giants beat the absolute pee out of us when we went out there.

Sure I would love to see the Reds get homefield. If I had to choose playing at SF or playing at Phil, I would take Phil in a heart beat. If we get beat, then so be it. We would then know the Phils were the better team

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I Want Philly!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    You know what, call me the biggest idiot on this board, and by gosh I think that would be accurate, but I want the Phillies in the first round. I think the Reds could go up there and win. Yes I know the Reds lost 4 in a row up there. In reality they could have went 1-3 or 2-2 up there. We all know that comeback was a fluke against Leake. Bottom line is, that won't matter.

-The Phillies are prone to going into big offensive slumps. Sure they are whipping up on the NL East pitchers they have seen a thousand times right now. Remember that one week span they went on in May with scoring like 1 or 2 runs.

- The Reds are prone to go into big offensive bursts. If this happened the same time as a Philly slump it would outstanding.

- I like the Reds chances more in a 5 game series against the Phillies than a 7 game series.

Sure I would love to see the Reds get homefield. If I had to choose playing at SF or playing at Phil, I would take Phil in a heart beat. If we get beat, then so be it. We would then know the Phils were the better team
    Chase Utley was out, and Roy Oswalt wasnt' there. They weren't playing good baseball at that time, and we still lost all 4 to them. Not saying they couldn't possibly beat them but I would much rather face Atlanta. Preferably not the Giants.

They have H2O, I want no part of that until the NLCS if possible.

Recovering Cubs Fan

We already know this. They are built to win it all. The Reds were built to "hopefully contend". Mission accomplished. The Phillies' season will be a failure if they don't at least get to the WS again.

Hopefully, someone like San Diego will spend every last ounce of energy they have somehow, some way, knocking off the best team in the National League, and the Reds will get to play THAT exhausted team in the NLCS (IF they manage to beat the Giants or whomever).

I think that's how the Cards did it in 06.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Philly gets to pick which NLDS schedule they play. They will pick the one that starts first and has 3 days off. They will pitch #1,#2,#3,#1,#2. All on 4 days rest. The other schedule only has 2 days off, and will need 4 starters, unless one goes on 3 days rest. The Giants/Padres will probably need to win on the last weekend and be unalbe to set up their rotation for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    We already know this. They are built to win it all. The Reds were built to "hopefully contend". Mission accomplished. The Phillies' season will be a failure if they don't at least get to the WS again.

Hopefully, someone like San Diego will spend every last ounce of energy they have somehow, some way, knocking off the best team in the National League, and the Reds will get to play THAT exhausted team in the NLCS (IF they manage to beat the Giants or whomever).

I like this idea better. Give me the Braves/Giants

Remember that thread about "due"?

Phils has won about 11 in a row. They've been on a roll. What does that mean for them? The Reds are crawling to the finish line. What does that mean for us? "Due" could happen against the Phils.

But I have to say I'm rooting for us to play Atlanta or SF/SD at home.

If we're going to get to the World Series we're more than likely going to have to beat them anyway, so I get the thinking. I also agree that I like our chances against them in a 5 game series a lot more than in a 7 game series.

We also wouldn't be traveling out west, which I like. In a perfect world, I want the Braves in the first round though.

The Phillies are the better team - hopefully we get another team in the first round

I agree with all your points. I would want to play home the first two games, no doubt about that. I guess I should have said that I would prefer playing at Philly than playing out West for the first two games

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post

Not accurate. The Cardinals (83 wins) beat the Padres (88 wins) in 4 games for the first round. The Mets (97 wins, tied for most in mlb) beat the Dodgers in 3 games. The Mets got an extra day off before playing the Cardinals. The Cardinals beat the Mets in 7 games in the NLCS. The Tigers (95 wins) beat the Yankees in 4 and Oakland in 4. Oakland had an extra day off before facing the Tigers. The Tigers had 5 extra days off before the World Series. In that post season, it was better to have lesser days off than more to rest.
    Last edited by gmt; 09-28-2010 at 01:19 PM.

I agree with all your points. I would want to play home the first two games, no doubt about that. I guess I should have said that I would prefer playing at Philly than playing out West for the first two games
    I think I would still rather play @ SF or @ SD than to play @ Philly the 1st round.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

The weekend series between the Giants and Padres and Phillies/Braves will be big in determining playoff seedings. The Padres are in the worst position right now trailing the Braves for the wildcard and the Giants for the West. Their best bet is what they can control but they need to be close enough to the Giants (within 3 games) before their series this weekend.

The Phillies don't need to win anymore. They have home field advantage wrapped up. I don't think they will roll over, but they don't need to push their top 3 pitchers nor play position players who could use some time off. The Braves are in a decent position with their last 3 against the Phils to maybe get a couple wins there.

The Padres need to find a way to beat the Cubs. I see the Braves having the edge to be the wildcard at this point and the Giants finishing with the 2nd best record thereby sending the Reds to Philadelphia for round one. The Reds could win their remaining 5 games, but being a game already behind the Giants in the standings would need the giants to go 3 - 2 to make the Reds the #2 team. The Giants won the season head to head, so a tie means they get 2nd place. So the dilemma is: do you rest your players/pitchers and get ready for whoever or do you continue to push hoping for the 2nd best record and a home field in the NLDS?

Okay now what...

Okay we are in, we are still unsure if it will be the 2 spot or 3 spot. So over these last few games, WHOM do we root for? It appears like SD is falling apart and may go into SF this weekend with nothing to play for possibly. We know Philly has nothing to play for so does that give Atlanta an edge? Personally i am rooting for the Braves the rest of the way and whomever is playing the Giants...

Re: Okay now what...

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Okay we are in, we are still unsure if it will be the 2 spot or 3 spot. So over these last few games, WHOM do we root for? It appears like SD is falling apart and may go into SF this weekend with nothing to play for possibly. We know Philly has nothing to play for so does that give Atlanta an edge? Personally i am rooting for the Braves the rest of the way and whomever is playing the Giants...
    That's exactly what I'm rooting for.

Turn Off Ads?