Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The one concern I really have

The one concern I really have

in the playoffs:

LH bat off the bench.

I can't say enough how much I hope Edmonds is available for the postseason. It's good to see Nix in the lineup tonight. I hope he's at least able to go if Edmonds isn't.

The thought of sending Alonso or Francisco up to the plate in the 8th inning of game 7 of the NLCS is kind of frightening. Both guys have plenty of talent, and I'm sure one day they'll be solid (if not spectacular) hitters. But right now, I don't think they're ready for those high-leverage plate appearances.

The starting pitching could be better, but then again, any of the Reds starters are capable of going out and pitching really well. So I don't worry about that too much. And there are other issues with this club that are of concern. But the possibility of not having any veteran hitters to come in and face a tough RHP is kind of concerning.

Anyone share that thought?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The one concern I really have

My 3 biggest concerns are Halladay-Oswalt-Hamels. If the Reds can get by Philly, they can go to the World Series.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Philadelphia is the best team in the playoffs. If the Reds can get by them, they can win the whole thing.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Philadelphia is the best team in the playoffs. If the Reds can get by them, they can win the whole thing.
    I hope you are right, but them boys in the Bronx are pretty good at winning.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I hope you are right, but them boys in the Bronx are pretty good at winning.
    They are that, but let's be realistic, they don't have near the pitching the Phils have.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    in the playoffs:

The thought of sending Alonso or Francisco up to the plate in the 8th inning of game 7 of the NLCS is kind of frightening. Both guys have plenty of talent, and I'm sure one day they'll be solid (if not spectacular) hitters. But right now, I don't think they're ready for those high-leverage plate appearances.
    I agree, although in their defense, they've been coming to the plate with one mission, hit a HR to take the lead or tie. I think if they can focus on just getting on base somehow they can be at least passable. Meanwhile, their natural power could lead to some fireworks.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I will take the Rays over the Phillies in terms of the best team in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    My 3 biggest concerns are Halladay-Oswalt-Hamels. If the Reds can get by Philly, they can go to the World Series.
    Uh oh.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I will take the Rays over the Phillies in terms of the best team in the playoffs.
    If we're talking about the guys who will play in the playoffs, not who had the best 162 game season, I'd take the Phillies over everybody and wouldn't think twice.

That starting 3 is just flat out ridiculous.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If we're talking about the guys who will play in the playoffs, not who had the best 162 game season, I'd take the Phillies over everybody and wouldn't think twice.

That starting 3 is just flat out ridiculous.
    Is Roy Oswalt really this good though? I don't think he is. He is good, but I don't think he is any better than Cole Hamels is. He is where the Phillies have the significant advantage though, at the #3 spot (or maybe its Hamels at the #3 spot). 1-2 though, I think Price and Garza match up well with the Phillies.

Offensively, I will take the Rays.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is Roy Oswalt really this good though? I don't think he is. He is good, but I don't think he is any better than Cole Hamels is. He is where the Phillies have the significant advantage though, at the #3 spot (or maybe its Hamels at the #3 spot). 1-2 though, I think Price and Garza match up well with the Phillies.

Offensively, I will take the Rays.
    In a 7 games series vs. the Phillies with 4 games at CBP....I wouldn't.

If history has taught us anything, it's that you can't predict who the Heroes and Zeros will be.
    The Cardinals would never had made it to the World Series in 1987 if not for Tom Lawless, who I believe only had two hits the whole season. I think he had as many homers in the post season as he had hits in the regular season.

I alps believe that Duke Snider once went 0 for a whole World Series.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

To get back to Brutus's original concern...has there been any updates on Edmonds status?

Nix, if healthy, is a very solid option. Looked OK tonight.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

My one concern has nothing to do with bench play... Starting Pitching.

How will Cueto, Arroyo, EV, and company match up against Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels.

Cueto has been known to get too hype in key moments and overthrow
    Arroyo is not in the same league as the other 3
    EV is a wildcard. Will he be bouncing pitches 5 feet in front of the plate or throwing one of the nastiest changeups in the majors for strike 3?
    Wood/Bailey- who will get the starts and will their youth be exposed?

Turn Off Ads?