Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Appreciating Arthur Rhodes

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Appreciating Arthur Rhodes

Arthur Rhodes signed a 2-year, $4M deal with the Reds before the 2009 season. He was coming off an excellent 2008 in which he returned from Tommy John surgery at age 38. Most guys would have called it a career, but Rhodes was back on the bump and getting guys out. But a big part of his success was a flukish 0 HR allowed in 2008.

I was sure we were set up for a letdown, but he has proven me wrong. And not only has he performed very well, he's been extremely consistent. Check it out:
    Code:
    	G	IP	K	BB	HR	BABIP	ERA	FIP	
    2009	66	53.1	48	20	3	.249	2.53	3.21
    2010	68	54.0	48	17	4	.246	2.33	3.28
    Were it not for some troublesome plantar fasciitis, his 2010 numbers would be even better. Maybe he's been getting a bit hit lucky, particularly given his league average LD rates. But a good defense behind him certainly helps and the FIP isn't exactly anything to complain about. In any event, at $2M a year, the Reds basically got twice as much production as they paid for.

I have no idea if the Reds plan to bring Rhodes back for 2011. Personally, I tend to be in the quit while you're ahead camp. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Old Man Rhodes mowing 'em down in red this time next year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Appreciating Arthur Rhodes

Arthur loves beer. I think that needed to be said.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

One of the "small" moves that has turned in the Reds favor, especially this year, even more so in the first half when he was so, so dominant.

He has definitely been a bargain. As for next year? Let's let this season finish first & see what plans are for Chapman. If Aroldis stays in the pen one more year, we probably let Arthur go, but if the Reds want Chapman to start, that might increase Rhodes' value to the organization. Maybe a 1 year deal for him would be a good idea, but it's a tough question.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Part of the situation with his return is about FA compensation. The screwy Elias ranking system has him as a Type A. In theory, that's a good thing, as it means the Reds would get a late R1 or early R2 pick for him if another team signed him. In practice, it virtually kills the market since, that pick is usually worth more to the organization than the reliever being signed -- or at least compared to other available relievers who wouldn't require compensation.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's either a Red, a Yankee (since they'll sign a few Type A guys, he'd only cost them a round 3 or 4), or a stay at home dad.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

From the Reds website:

"I already told them that I want to come back, that I'd love to come back," Rhodes said. "I've had a wonderful time here. I've enjoyed myself. We'll see what happens in the offseason."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

Arthur wants to return to Cincinnati. I don't have a problem with it. I would like to get two first round picks for him, but as Rick alluded to, it's highly doubtful a team will sign Rhodes and lose their first round pick. I would have no problem with bringing Rhodes back on a one year deal assuming the Reds think his foot will be fine next season.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From the Reds website:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

Arthur wants to return to Cincinnati. I don't have a problem with it. I would like to get two first round picks for him, but as Rick alluded to, it's highly doubtful a team will sign Rhodes and lose their first round pick. I would have no problem with bringing Rhodes back on a one year deal assuming the Reds think his foot will be fine next season.
    The big problem with hoping for draft pick compensation, is that you have to offer arbitration.

Zero chance that happens, as he would likely get more in arbitration than on the open market.

I wouldn't mind him coming back but that foot worries me.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wouldn't mind him coming back but that foot worries me.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a case of plantar fasciitis? Which is treatable with rest. It seems to me the entire off-season of rest should do him wonders in dealing with his foot. I would love to see Arthur back, great man.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The big problem with hoping for draft pick compensation, is that you have to offer arbitration.

Zero chance that happens, as he would likely get more in arbitration than on the open market.
    That's not entirely true. If a player signs with another team prior to the Arbitration filing deadline, the team still gets compensated.

Practically though, as Rick mentioned, a lot of teams would stay away from Rhodes because they wouldn't view him as being worth giving up the draft pick.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a case of plantar fasciitis? Which is treatable with rest. It seems to me the entire off-season of rest should do him wonders in dealing with his foot.
    My understanding is that rest will eliminate the current pain and that stretching and braces can eliminate future pain as well.

Like most of the returning vets, I would like Rhodes in the eye and say, How much do you want to come back here for?

The only one I'm confident Walt really wants back is Hernandez.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    My understanding is that rest will eliminate the current pain and that stretching and braces can eliminate future pain as well.

Like most of the returning vets, I would like Rhodes in the eye and say, How much do you want to come back here for?

The only one I'm confident Walt really wants back is Hernandez.
    Yes, I have dealt with it for a couple of years. There are things you can do to prevent reoccurance. Mainly; rest, stretching excercises, and wearing a "boot" while sleeping. Rarely are further methods required for treatment and prevention.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Turn Off Ads?