Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you do this trade?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Would you do this trade?

I know it's a bit early to focus on the hot stove league, but it never hurts to look to see how the ball club could be improved.

(please keep the pitchforks at bay)

Reds get:
    Hanley Ramirez
    Mike Stanton

Marlins get:
    Chapman
    Alonso
    one of Janish/Frazier/Valaika/Cozart

I wonder if the Marlins would love to get their hands on the CUBAN phenom, and just how much they'd (over)pay to get him. Would they give up Ramirez and Stanton. Stanton is super young and has prodigious power that seems to have translated to the majors quite nicely. They also could use a solid hitting prospect, plus they'd need someone to fill in at SS.

I know we'll be giving up Chapman, but the chance to add that much offense, still having a stable of young pitchers to fill out the rotation, you couldn't pass that up. Imagine the next 5 years of Stanton/Stubbs/Bruce, with Ramirez at SS. That's as strong as it gets right there.

OK, have at me.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Would you do this trade?

Marlins don't do that trade. Makes little sense for them. They have an excess of first basemen.

Stanton is going to be huge. Kid has 21 HR in 343 ABs. Will hit 30-40 next year. And he's 20.

And Alonso's Sept. call up hasn't helped his value much.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Yeah, there's no way the Marlins do that deal. But yeah, that would get some heavy consideration from me.

Cruisin' for trouble

I think the last 10 years have really emphasized how valuable GOOD pitching is. Chapman's potential is unbelievable. I'm not sure I would include Chapman in any trade that does not include good pitching coming back to the Reds. I'm tired of the softball league team the Reds were plopping on the field from 00-09.

I would do that trade and then break my arm patting myself on the back. That trade immediately adds something on the order of 5 wins to the team.

There's no way the Marlins would do that though.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It would take a lot more than that for me to trade Chapman.

I proposed a Chapman to the Marlins as part of a package to get Hanley back in the July trade threads. I sure don't hate your thought, but can't imagine prying Stanton off them in addition to Hanley.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I kind of want to hang on to Chapman through the life of his contract. There's several possibilities there that make me think he's a superstar in the making.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

You would have to throw in a Leake or Wood in that package to get HRam and Stanton. Stanton is going to be a stud.

Yes I do it although it would be tough to move chapman.

Stubbs
    Ramirez
    Votto
    Stanton
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Phillips
    Hanigan/Mesoraco

Wow. Big Red Machine II. Love the Missile, but it would take a lot more than he and Alonso plus one of the iffy SS.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

yea I would do it, Reds have starting pitching, Chapman is going to be a star, so I am ok with keeping him too. But you talk about instantly creating a dominating line up. The Nl central would be owned by the Cincinnati Reds.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    It would take a lot more than that for me to trade Chapman.
    The majority sentiment seems to be that the marlins wouldn't do this trade because they wouldn't be getting fair value in return.

You're going against the grain, so I'm curious what you think would be a fair offer from the reds for Hanley and Stanton?

I don't think there is any way the reds could pry Stanton away from the Marlins. No way the Marlins give up a player like that till he's in arbitration.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Why would you trade the best pitching prospect for a shortstop and an outfielder? I don't get it. With Dusty returning, OCab is your shortstop next year with Janish backing him up. Not only would the Marlins not entertain this, but neither would Walt Jocketty.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    The majority sentiment seems to be that the marlins wouldn't do this trade because they wouldn't be getting fair value in return.

You're going against the grain, so I'm curious what you think would be a fair offer from the reds for Hanley and Stanton?

I don't think there is any way the reds could pry Stanton away from the Marlins. No way the Marlins give up a player like that till he's in arbitration.
    There's a certain level of player whom I consider real difference makers that I don't think you take the risk on trading. If Chapman develops into a number 1 starter with the kind of stuff he has, he's potentially the most valuable, season-changing, player in the major leagues. For a similar reason, I didn't, and don't, like the Hamilton for Volquez trade, though I'm delighted to have Volquez. But Hamilton's no where near as potentially dominating as Chapman.

Turn Off Ads?