Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has to happen (playoff opponent schedule)

What has to happen (playoff opponent schedule)

What has to happen for the Reds to face anyone other than the Phillies? Even if the Reds won there last 4 games they would have to hope for the Giants to lose 3 of their last 4 because of the season head to head. If they won 3 of 4 the Giants would have to lose all 4.. Not seeing that happen at all.

The only other scenario is the Padres winning the wildcard over the Braves. For that to happen the Braves would have to lose 2 of 3 at home to a resting Philadelphia team. Then the Padres would have to win 2 of 3 against the Giants. I mean it could happen but you know they are gonna want to get in there for Bobby Cox.

I'm doing this math in my head so if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

So unless a miracle happens, we will be at Philly next week, so make your plans for Sunday at GABP..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What has to happen (playoff opponent schedule)

Not to mention Hamels is the only one of the "guns" that are pitching this weekend
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Well now that I study the schedule and the standings a little, alot will be riding on todays game, Giants vs Diamondbacks. Giants lose today and the Reds win, It's the Reds trailing by 1 game going into the weekend. Win 2 of 3 against the Brew Crew and the Giants get swept against the Padres then we have games 1 and 2 at GABP. Or sweep the Brewers and the Giants lose 2 of 3. We will know alot more about 7pm tonight.. So lets not make plans yet for Sunday just yet
    Last edited by arkimadee; 09-30-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    Well now that I study the schedule and the standings a little, alot will be riding on todays game, Giants vs Diamondbacks. Giants lose today and the Reds win, It's the Reds trailing by 1 game going into the weekend. Win 2 of 3 against the Brew Crew and the Giants get swept against the Padres then we have games 1 and 2 at GABP. Or sweep the Brewers and the Giants lose 2 of 3. We will know alot more about 7pm tonight.. So lets not make plans yet for Sunday just yet
    Not quite true...if we win 3 of 4 we finish with 91 wins. If the Pads sweep the Giants they finish with 91 wins too, they get the tiebreaker.

We need to win all the last 4 pretty much, need the pads to lose 1 and giants lose 3. Only real option. Best way is for giants to lose today and us to win. Then if we sweep the brew crew we just need the pads to take 2 of 3. Or even if the Pads win lose today they can sweep the giants.

Theres always that scenario where Atlanta folds and the wildcard goes out West, then we play out there. i still can't believe i'm talking about this.. someone wake me up

The playoff matchups is pretty well set. Phils will have the No. 1 seed, the West winner will have the No. 2 seed, We will have the No. 3 Seed and the Braves are your WC team, thus the playoffs will be:

Reds vs Philly's
    West winner vs. Braves

i pray we don't play the frikin 4pm game on Wednesday.. I have to work and I would miss game 1..

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    i pray we don't play the frikin 4pm game on Wednesday.. I have to work and I would miss game 1..
    where do you see the times for the games?

Quote Originally Posted by KOBasinger View Post
    where do you see the times for the games?
    They are not listed yet but I think there is a 4pm game, a 7pm game and a 10pm game on Wednesday.. That is how it normally is in the playoffs. Hopefully they'll stick the Twins and Rays (if the Rays are wildcard) at 4pm.. put the Reds and Phillies at 7pm and the Yankees and Rangers at 10pm

2010 MLB playoff schedule (Kinda)

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/09/14/2...offs-schedule/

It will be a lot easier to see the possibilities when today's games are completed. The Padres vs Giants series holds most of the keys.

Here's something to ponder: the Giants, Padres and Braves could all finish with the same record, 91 - 71. The question would be, how do they figure the West winner and the wildcard? If you look just at head to head, the Braves hold the season edge over both the Giants and Padres. Does that automatically put them in as the wildcard? To figure the west division, the Giants and Padres will need to play a one game playoff. Those games are counted as regular season, so one team will be 92 - 71, the other 91 - 72 after that game. Does that result also automatically qualify the Braves as the Wildcard as a 91 - 71 winning percentage is higher than a 91 - 72 winning percentage. Would there need to be a wildcard play-in game?

Quote Originally Posted by gmt View Post
    It will be a lot easier to see the possibilities when today's games are completed. The Padres vs Giants series holds most of the keys.

Here's something to ponder: the Giants, Padres and Braves could all finish with the same record, 91 - 71. The question would be, how do they figure the West winner and the wildcard? If you look just at head to head, the Braves hold the season edge over both the Giants and Padres. Does that automatically put them in as the wildcard? To figure the west division, the Giants and Padres will need to play a one game playoff. Those games are counted as regular season, so one team will be 92 - 71, the other 91 - 72 after that game. Does that result also automatically qualify the Braves as the Wildcard as a 91 - 71 winning percentage is higher than a 91 - 72 winning percentage. Would there need to be a wildcard play-in game?
    you know, that's a hell of a question.. never even thought about that

If the Giants and Padres both win today, the Reds will automatically be the 3rd best team. The Reds can only get to 92 wins tops. With a Giants and Padres win today, they will have 91 and 89 wins respectively. A sweep by the Padres gets them to the same 92 wins as the Reds and a better head to head for the Padres makes the Reds the #3. Anything less than a sweep by the Padres gets the Giants to at least 92 wins. Same head to head scenario puts the Giants #2 and the Reds #3.

The only thing to figure from there is who will be the wildcard, Braves or west division 2nd place finisher. Braves hold the season head to head vs both the Padres and Giants. They only need one more win to guarantee a shot at the playoffs. At 91 wins with that one win, the most wins the Padres can have right now is 92. That would put the Giants at 91, tied with the Braves and eliminated due to head to head. I have already gone over the possible 91 win three way possibility.

The way I see it, the only way the Braves miss out is if they are swept by the Phillies.

One more:

If the Giants and Padres both lose today, the Braves are in as the wildcard. At 90 wins, the braves could get swept and have 90 wins. If the Padres sweep the Giants, they would have 91 wins with the Giants tied at 90 with the Braves. Season head to head to the Braves. Padres win 2 of 3 and the Giants win the west with 91 wins, the Padres finish with 90 wins tied with the Braves and the head to head goes to the Braves again.

If either or both the Giants or Padres win today, the Braves need just one more win to be the wildcard.

Last one (today)

If the Reds lose tonight, they are automatically the 3rd best division record. The best they could do is 91 wins. Either or both the Giants and/or Padres will get to 91 wins or more. Both teams hold the H2H vs the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?